Solved

Is it possible to have a second EV charger installed?

• 17 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • Carbon Cutter*
  • 2 replies

Hi all

We have a podpoint but would like to install a charger that works with the anytime tariff. We also need wifi as the mobile signal is bad here.  

We don't really need to charge two cars at once, but I'm wondering if it's best to take the podpoint out and install the Indra, or whether anyone has installed a second charger alongside an existing one. I'm assuming that load would need to be considered

Thanks

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 18 September 2023, 08:59

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m not sure about the best route forward but certainly if you were to have both charging points available, your electrical system and fusing will need to be at a level to cope. 
It’s not what you have in regular use but what you could use that’s important and so the cabling (electric incomer), fusing and load feed would have to be capable of coping with a household, and the two EV chargers should they be all on at the same time

Badge

Thank you

I’m not sure about the best route forward but certainly if you were to have both charging points available, your electrical system and fusing will need to be at a level to cope. 
It’s not what you have in regular use but what you could use that’s important and so the cabling, fusing and load feed would have to be capable of feeding a household, and the two EV chargers should they be all on at the same time

Thank you. The other option might be to remove the PodPoint and replace it with the Indra.  I think that is the only one that uses wifi and is compatible with the Ovo plan. I see Octopus now recommend another charger, the Wallbox Max, but I don’t see that being marked as compatible with Ovo

Hard to know the best route to take, it’s a rapidly changing area!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hard to know the best route to take, it’s a rapidly changing area!

It is - OVO say that the Ohme and Indra are compatible but you can use any charger with a compatible EV

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers

Badge

Thanks, unfortunately the EV isn't compatible so it's going to have to be a new charger. It's a whole new world to get my head around! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Good Luck trying to get a price for just your charger changing. All online forms are designed for a new full install ive even messaged multiple company's including OVO and they just dont seem to understand all they need to do is turn off the isolator and replace the charger with no work required in the meter box