Solved

Will OVO let me pay by Fuel Direct?

• 27 September 2023
  • 8 replies

Dear ovo community, 

I tried with my old supplier  on numerous occasions to have my electric and gas debit and future bills payed directly from my benefits as i have a mental health condition which affects my memory and ability to organise  my finances. 

This was refused and unfortunately i am know in debt.  I would appreciate any advice on how l can set up fuel direct and if OVO will accept this?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 28 September 2023, 11:30

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You could try calling the OVO collections team and ask them to talk you through the options including Fuel Direct. 

0800 069 9831

I assume you are already on the priority service register 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/register-for-priority-services

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/article/priority-services-register

Userlevel 7

Hey @Trixta,

Sorry for the issues you had regarding Fuel Direct with your previous supplier.

Blastoise has given some helpful advice here, our Collections Team will be able to discuss this further with you and offer more financial support or advice, call them on 0800 069 9831. They’re open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.

This advice was taken from the website:

Fuel Direct Scheme

The Fuel Direct scheme helps to pay your energy bills directly from your benefits (the scheme is run by the Department for Work and Pensions). If you receive any of the following benefits, this might be helpful for you: 

• Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance

• Income Support

• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

• Pension Credit

• Universal Credit (but only if you’re not working)

For more information, contact Jobcentre Plus (or your pension centre if you’re on Pension Credit).

You’ll need to tell them:

• That we’re your energy supplier

• The amount of money that’s owed 

• Your OVO account number

• Your National Insurance number

If you pay as you go for your energy and would like to sign up to the Fuel Direct scheme, we’ll need to switch your meter to credit mode (pay monthly) first.

Need more help and advice?

For free, independent advice on debt, energy costs, and other areas where you might need support, these organisations and charities can also help: 

• Citizens Advice - visit your local branch, or their websites: for England and Wales and for Scotland. You can speak to an advisor online, in person, or over the phone: 0800 144 8848 (England), 0800 702 2020 (Wales), and 0800 028 1456 (Scotland). 
  • National Debtline - call 0808 808 4000 or visit their website.
  • Step Change Debt Charity - call 0800 138 1111 or visit their website
  • Civil Legal Advice - call 0845 345 4 345 for free, confidential legal advice in England and Wales, if you’re eligible for legal aid. Find out if you are here.

When I was with SSE I paid by Fuel Direct and this was supposed to roll over when OVO bought them out, but it didn’t.
I was £400 in credit at the changeover, which was used to pay off the debt incurred because Fuel Direct wasn’t reinstated.
OVO keep asking me to set up a Direct Debit or pay by bank transfer or cheque - despite the fact that I have told them and their chat bots several times that I do not have a bank account and my benefits are paid via a government payment card. There aren’t any banks where I live either!
I did discover on the Utility Regulator website that energy companies must make provision for people to pay in cash - yet they told me (on social media the only way I can get to talk to someone who isn’t a bot!) - that SSE did payment cards but they don’t.
They don’t even provide a paying in slip on the bills they send me!
How am I supposed to pay them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Am not sure if it helps @DebbieSeaKay 

Bank: BARCLAYS

Account name: OVO ENERGY LTD Receipts

OVO back account number 83683249

OVO sort code 20-00-00. 

Remember to include your OVO account number and postcode in the reference field, so it can be linked to your OVO account

It may be worth chatting to OVO Collections if you haven't already about your SSE Fuel Direct setup. It sounds to me like the SSE migration may have failed for you and OVO really should sort it out.

It is a freephone ovo number  0800 069 9831

I have flagged the ovo moderators so hopefully they can give you some personal suggestions on Friday.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If memory serves, you can also go to any Paypoint and pay by cash there. You’ll just need the giro slip on any bill.

Userlevel 7

Hi @DebbieSeaKay 

As well as the advice above which outlines ways you can pay, I’d like to take some details to make sure you’re getting the best support OVO can offer. Look out for a private message from the Forum Support team. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Keep an eye out here @DebbieSeaKay 

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview

If memory serves, you can also go to any Paypoint and pay by cash there. You’ll just need the giro slip on any bill.

They don’t send giro slips with the bill!