Solved

Why is there a difference between the Balance/Credit on my monthly summary and the Homepage of my Online Account?

I have always been aware of the Balance showing on the Homepage of the OVO Website and the Credit showing on my monthly billing. At he beginning of Setember the credit showing after my new bill was £67.53 but the balance showing on the homepage was £104.65. Since I have been aware of this for some time I took a screenshot of my homepage for proof. At the beginning of October my credit was £65.41 with my balance showing the same. They have now been realigned with a subsequent loss to me of £35.00. I confirmed with an OVO advisor yesterday that others had also noticed this so I am posting this to make others aware of this irregularity. I have a complaint outstanding with OVO but not answered. Has this happened to other OVO customers.?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 6 October 2021, 12:38

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 20/09/23 by Abby_OVO​​​

I think I know what’s probably happening here. It’s worth noting that unlike other suppliers, OVO has the billing platform set up to do real-time balance updates whereas most other suppliers only update the balance after you make a payment, get a refund or a bill is generated. This might explain the discrepancy you’re seeing - don’t forget to check the Billing History tab as well, since this has a lot of transparency as to exactly what’s happening at any given time. Credit and Balance are the same thing for the most part in MyOVO.

The following events (among others) can cause your balance to increase:

• Top-Up Payments
  • Monthly Direct Debits
  • Warm Home Discount
  • Billing corrections to fix overpayments
  • Manual corrections by OVO’s Support Team
  • Manual intervention by OVO
  • Reimbursements (such as after a complaint is resolved)
  • Guaranteed Service Standards
  • Or as required by the terms of your contract

The following events (among others) can cause your balance to decrease immediately upon triggering:

• Meter Readings of any kind - including Estimated, Manual, Smart or via the Support Team
  • Daily Standing Charges
  • Bill generation
  • Add-Ons like OVO Foundation or OVO Beyond (exception: OVO Drive Anytime, which is a free add-on)
  • Refunds - but these will go back to your bank account
  • Failed payments (like a bounced Direct Debit)
  • Billing corrections
  • Charges
  • Manual intervention by OVO - only used if absolutely necessary

I hope this helps. Please let the Support Team know if you still think some of your account balance is missing and they’ll be happy to investigate. 

We’ve got more details on how our Live-Billing platform works over here.

Hi Thankyou for your reply it was most helpful. Spoke to OVO support and it turns out that a fault/issue in their billing system did not update my bill for yhe previous month for 26 days. What a shambles and in the words of OVO advisors do no always believe what you see on the homepage. Any way sorted and they are a good bunch and nice to kow OVO will survive

I cannot make head nor tail of my OVO account *edited by moderator* (desperately want to move but don’t seem to be able to) - say for 2hrs on phone on 11 October and paid bill to that date - had previously been lied to by OVO and the lady i spoke to actually admitted in front of witness at my home visiting!!! so i have sent meter reading every month and pay once bill issued but opening balance is always more and getting more every month - how the hell do you get any useful help from OVO as i have just had another hour on phone and got told the lady will escalate my query as she didn’t know - how am i Meant to know if they don’t - *edited by moderator - will pay what my bill is for this month and god help them if they try and make a charge on me!!!! my opening balance doesn’t agree - my closing balance doesn’t agree and the balance on the app is even more - surely there is an easier way than this company!!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @jefferson400 ,

It sounds to me as if https://ovoenergy.com/feedback is the most likely way to resolve this issue. If you haven’t already tried it, that’s what I’d recommend.

Believe it or not i have tried various ways to sort 

Userlevel 7

Hey @jefferson400,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

With OVO you’ll get a monthly statement if you pay on receipt of the bill, you just need to pay the amount owing when you receive this bill. 

The App and Online Account will show your live account balance so you can see how much your using in between statements. This means whenever you submit a meter reading, your account balance will update accordingly within 24-48 hours. We have a great guide about this topic: 

This similar thread might also be helpful:

Hope this helps.

Does OVO show your daily standing charge on your billing on a daily basis as a debit for example if your daily change is x today does this show as a debit today then tomorrow this debit would obviously double for tomorrow added daily charge 

Userlevel 7
Badge

If I understand your question correctly, then yes: the standing charge is added to the current billing details every day, usually overnight. You can tell whether it’s been added or not by comparing the date and the number of days’ standing charges that have been added:

If this isn’t what you meant, perhaps you could explain what you’re looking for. 

What I’m meaning is should the daily standing charge display as a negative debit on a daily basis  or is this negative debit being displayed is what you owe   Does the daily standing charge only display in the billing details only If it is a negative debit that you owe and not the daily charge being displayed Then once you pay this negative debit I’m assuming a Zero balance should then stay there until the end of your current billing period when you get a new bill generated dependent on your meter readings 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Pilgrim2 , OVO use what they term a live billing system so that charges are added daily for you to see how they are progressing. It isn’t necessary to clear it every day 

If you’re current billing period starts with a debit amount and you pay this debit at some point in the billing period where your debit goes to zero Why doesn’t the debit just paid in the billing disappear and go to zero as well leaving only your current charges to date being displayed 

The part I’m not getting to grips with is if this is a daily live system and the first box at the start of the billing states you are in debit of X amount if you pay this debit of X amount during the billing period then why does this debit in the first box not then go to zero why does this box still show the debit. Note you should be made aware I don’t have smart meters only conventional meters   I’d expect despite which type of meters you have if it’s live system this first box in the billing period should go to zero a on the day you pay the debit so that the debit at the start of bill period should be gone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It’s difficult to understand without seeing what you’re seeing. Perhaps it’s just the system catching up (banking delays?) unless it stays there for several days.

If you have conventional meters, then everything will be estimated until you send your readings in. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

I’d expect despite which type of meters you have if it’s live system this first box in the billing period should go to zero a on the day you pay the debit so that the debit at the start of bill period should be gone

This is the sort of thing I see on the account website, showing what I think you’re referring to as ‘the boxes in the billing period’:

This shows a snapshot of the period taken on the 23rd day, indicated by 7 days until end of billing period and the green bar.

The Opening figure doesn’t change; that was the state of the account on the 1st day. The Charges figure shows what has been charged to the account in the 23 days since then with a minus sign, and what has been paid with a plus sign under Payments. The last box shows the state of the account today. At the end of the period, the last box will show the balance on the account which will then be used for the bill (or ‘statement’, as it’s sometimes called).

If you make a payment between now and the end of the period, it will eventually show up under Payments (it might take a couple of days to clear through the banking system) and the Closing figure will change accordingly.

If you only ever pay the amount owing on the end-of-period statement, this page will always show you as being in debt. This is quite right: you have bought electricity since the start of the period that you haven’t yet paid for, so you’re in debt to OVO for the cost of it. 

The way to avoid being constantly in debt is to set up a Direct Debit. You might still be in debt sometimes (e.g. in the middle of winter), but you’d be in credit during the summer and autumn. And you could save tens or hundreds of pounds a year to boot.