Solved

Why is my online account credit balance dropping every day?

I was an SSE customer but with the take over my account has been migrated over to OVO.

The first month i did’nt really check what was happening with my  OVO balance as im on a smart  meter.  at the start of august i checked my balance against my bill ,my ending balance was  £126 .a few weeks later i was checking my usage and saw that my balance had gone down to £116 check if i had been billed again ? no ! checked if there was any information as to why it had gone down , again no! so i called OVO and asked why my balance had gone down before my billing date and what the charge was for i was giving a number for SSE i was been charge by them and they where debiting my OVO balance , so i called and was told that had no idea about it and that my SSE account was closed and migrated over to OVO  i so  i asked for them to send me  an email stating so with closing balance ,they did so . called OVO back and asked again why my balance had gone down  before my billing date  this time i was told they had no idea why my balance had gone down and was told that it would be passed to complaints department. ok!  i checked my balance 2 days ago it had drop again to £108  and today again to £107 so far it has drop by £19 pound,So  to day i call to find out what was happening with my compalint only to be told that complaints had no record of my issue again iwas told that i would be passed to complaints and that i would be contacted in 5 working day at this point i got in contact with citizens advice and was told to send an email of complaint so i have a copy and  that way there was proof that i had been in contact      .been the person  that i am( terrible memory )i always record my phone calls  when it comes to  bills ,debts and anything to do with money and keep all documents. so just to let you if your losing money from your balance without reason or been informed as to why you not the only one  and im sure there are alot you out there  paying more than you should be keep and collect all evidence  

icon

Best answer by juliamc 7 September 2022, 09:33

View original

196 replies

Userlevel 1

I think it's probably due to the standing charges being deducted on a daily basis. The same thing is happening with my account.

Do hope this helps you. Kindest regards from Clive 

lets hope thats the case . my bill is in tomorrow but as i  was told by ovo nothing shold be  leaving my account till the  end of my billing period

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yep. Sounds right. The ‘balance’ being the running total, which is reconciled when the bill is issued and your payment goes in. 

ive just checked my standing charges on both gas and electric  it comes to £ 25  for the month so those numbers dont add up , i never even paid that much for 3 months with sse. wow really  need to seek new provider 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You said the balance dropped by £1 in one day so standing charge about 50p per fuel per day. Is that correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If not then does that £1 include your usage of the fuels too ?

standing charge for gas is 30.5p per day and electric  55.33p per day the amount    that left my account for 1 day was£1,28p so not adding up 

i use about £ 1 in both fuels  aday minimum 

no adding up 

i have qualifictions in accountancy i know numbers. my grammer is rubbish but number i know

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m going to have a look at my balance and see if I can work out what’s going on there…

@mr T smith does your account say ‘My energy account’ and have the figure underneath? or ‘Today’s balance’ with the figure underneath? 

I have two account (parents house and mine) each on a different system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@mr T smith I edited the above comment which you may have missed...

todays balance

and i get hourly smart meter readings on my usage

remember they have given no reason or information for the amount taken, all charges should have a heading or some sort of information for a charge . ill check the of gem site .but i belive what happening is is breaking some sort of rule

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I know what you mean but I don’t think the money has actually left your account yet, not until the bill is issued. I think ‘today’s balance’ is just a total of something, albeit a mysterious one !! 

no my balance is money ive paid in trying to stay a head of my bills 

and yes i has gone 

can anyone tell me whats wrong with this picture

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 13/09/23 by Abby_OVO

The ‘balance’ being the running total, which is reconciled when the bill is issued and your payment goes in: 

Looks to me like you’ve paid £70 in three separate amounts, you’ve used a total of £59.88 in fuel and standing charges, resulting in your credit increasing by £10.12 ie rising from £126.89 to £137.01. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @mr T smith yes I agree with @Thickgoatee and @juliamc - this sounds like your daily balance updating. That’s how OVO’s billing platform works (and works really well, when you have a smart meter as you do). Gone are the days when you wait x number of weeks to find out how much your charges are.

turns out they where right and i was wrong. but it a shame the call centre staff was not able to explain that the smart meter system was deducting my usage and updating the balance. could have save a lot of worry and  phone calls , i think more training to undertsanding the systems they work with and less time memorizing generic scripts.

Why is my in credit money going down on a daily basis?  Seems to be going down by £5 per day!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Jk62 ,

I’m Blastoise186, a forum volunteer who patrols the OVO Forum and helps out here.

OVO’s billing platform runs on a live billing model. Rather than having to wait for a bill to be generated to see what each month is costing you, the platform runs on the basis of showing you all charges immediately. You still get official statements every month, but it helps you to keep track more easily. Don’t worry, your credit hasn’t gone anywhere in the meantime!

Thank you.  So we are now paying our energy bill on a daily basis??