Solved

Why has my usage data from my smart meter not updated on my online account for two days?

• 17 February 2018
  • 93 replies

Show first post

93 replies

Userlevel 2
Day view is working but not month or week. Not sure about year.
Same as you - they stopped on 19th
Userlevel 4

I rarely if ever use the day or week views, nicka88, but you are correct -- we are the same then.

It's slightly gratifying that the day views work, because that shows that the data is getting through to OVO, it's just not displaying properly on the Usage web page.
Userlevel 4
An extension of this thread, created to cover more than 2 days.

I've not seen any Month or Week Usage stats updates in the Web portal since the 19th. The Daily tab works fine, so data is getting through to OVO.

OVO: Any idea when this will be fixed?
It's a tech issue again, will be fixed in a few days they say.
Guess its a widespread problem as am having the same problems again. Same thing happened last month for a couple of days. This time its longer and still not fixed.
Userlevel 4
Thanks for that spiderlegs99 and herbie. I planned to ring them on Monday, but I'll wait and see.

I'm seeing a totally blank Usage across the board (Year, Month, Week and Daily) now.

OVO: Still no excuse to not notify users upfront. Even on this forum you can manage to pimp your new advert on the forum home page, but don't have the time or inclination to post an admission that your backend servers are having problems.
me to
Userlevel 1
Mine has gone completely now, all i get is "sorry we are not able to retrieve your smart usage"
me to
you would think a company like this could get this right. Done an update couple days ago and still not got it right. So much for smart meters and being able to access your info.
Userlevel 1
well years ago when i was working for a linux company i was told, if it works don't update it as it will break, guess none told them!
You would think that being as they have all our emails they could send a message out or text?
Userlevel 1
I suggested to them last time that they post info on the home access site but it was ignored, note there is also a message area on the in home meter but its never used. I'll sit it out a while till my contract is up for renewal and go somewhere else. Providing the smart meters will work with the next supplier.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Good morning @Sparky2552, @g4jnw and others.

Happy Monday! :)

We've been discussing this issue over the weekend on another thread.

It may not be an issue solely in OVO Programmers' hands, and I don't think it's an App-only or IHD problem. Usage graphs on the website are equally affected.

We may need those with Smart Meters to be pooling observations so as to give a better level of feedback on this problem.

Can you please read the other thread and then post there how you feel about helping to solve this?

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Hi @g4jnw @Sparky2552 @Rooty @herbie et al, I've confirmed from our Tech team regarding the usage graph fault that they are:

"aware of this issue and working hard to fix all effected accounts ASAP. No action is needed from the customer for this fix to be put in place".

So hold fire and we'll get this sorted or you!

^Tim
Userlevel 1
Thanks Tim, maybe you should ask the tech/web team to post smart problems on the customers main page and the will avoid us all having a discussion. Ive only had my smart meter in a short time but its been down now 2 months on a row.
Userlevel 7
Hi all,

Just to confirm that this issue should now be resolved! Apologies for any inconvenience caused, we appreciate it was frustrating!!

Darran
Userlevel 4
I have also suffered from lack of daily usage data on My Ovo but more interesting is that although the data is now up to date the values for previous days keep changing. This is noticeable because consecutive days suddenly have exactly the same value! As I record daily usage for both gas and electricity this is very irritating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
That's very useful feedback, @UC Bear.

So I wonder if others are seeing the same problem.

Until you mentioned this, I had assumed that once OVO's software had calculated the Usage-data for a day, that it then remained static:- In effect the data just got read out of your file and displayed on screen.

I can understand why data might change over a 48-hour period. OVO probably employ some filter algorithms when importing your raw meter readings in order to eradicate errors. But if there continue to be adjustments to previous days' data which has already been rendered "clean" by those filters, then it means the software is still operating on that historical data.

I wonder if they're employing new algorithms which sequentially reprocess past readings to show trends rather than totally accurate readings?

After all, there's little call for anyone to want to know precisely the peaks of demand on a particular 24-hr period from two months previous. But you might well wish to see the trend that occurred during the cold-weather period in February for example. That would be more useful than the actual Usage-readings.

So, is anyone else noticing the same issue?
Userlevel 4
It is getting worse.The graph shows I have identical usage on four consecutive days for both electricity and gas (values for electricity and gas are different). This is impossible.
Normally after 2 or 3 days all the values get updated to believable numbers except on this occasion the fifth day value is different but the four previous remain identical.
Are OVO aware that this problem still persists?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Good morning @UC Bear,

It's possible that OVO are aware of the problem because, in another thread in the last month, there was an answer that suggested they were doing a rewrite of the algorithms. I understood this was to overcome inaccuracies which had come to light during the winter of 2016/17.

However, I doubt that the programmers (who are mainly based in London, not Bristol) are actually monitoring this thread.

You have provided some clear feedback which might be useful. The six Forum Moderators have the ability to bounce such feedback to the relevant programming team. So in these circumstances I usually choose a couple of random Moderators and tag them here. :)

Let's pick on @Tim_OVO and @Lucy_OVO, and ask them to bring your post to the programmers' attention!
Userlevel 4
Thanks for passing this on to those that can investigate further.
I've noticed that previous values can change also so do not have a lot of confidence in the efficacy of the data.
Attached photos show todays picture. Note identical values are still present.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @UC Bear,

Yes, I can clearly see the issue on your graphs. The Programmers are well aware of what's happening, and feedback like yours has further highlighted the problem.

I've been in further communication with OVO Staff about the wider issue of Usage Graphs. An email has just been sent to Smart Meter users last week explaining that OVO need to have some down-time to fix the problem. Did you receive this email?

The text I've seen explains that Real-Time updates will be curtailed as of 25may18. Historical HH Usage will still be available however.

Although this is a difficult commercial decision, it makes sense. It has proved just too difficult for OVO's programmers to adjust and test the Usage Graph algorithms whilst having to keep the system live during each working day.

It's vitally important that OVO keep their end-goal in sight, such that the Company is able to offer variable HH-Tariff structures once SMETS2 Meters become widely available. The short-term inconvenience of losing Real-Time Usage Data is annoying, but the long term benefits are too important to miss out on.

Ask here again if you want further clarification.
I have never received an email from Ovo about this.
Userlevel 4
No email about turning off real time data usage received.

How long is the Off period?
Will the daily data still be collected by OVO during the off period?
Will it be possible to access this once everything is fixed?
I don't want to read my smart meter every day lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Ah. So neither @herbie nor @UC Bear has received the email. I'm just tagging @Emily_OVO here so one of the Moderators notes this!

I'm working a bit blind here because I'm not on a SM myself, so wasn't on the email list of course.

Yes, all data will still be collected by OVO. The stats are collected from Smart Meters by DCC at least once per day anyway. And that's why all SM Customers will still be able to view HH data in arrears on their My OVO pages.

The extract of the email which someone@OVO kindly sent me is clearly referring only to Real-Time data, and specifically mentions functionality of the IHD (obviously).

I have no idea how long an "off period" is being planned. Personally I'd hope it's "as long as necessary to enable the algorithms to be upgraded". There are so many positive/exciting things yet to come once SMETS2 protocols are available. It's absolutely vital that OVO's Program Designers build the robust underlying structure to support this.

OVO have shown their commitment to this future technological advance by their announcements of two Smart Chargers and a new Storage Battery. Such Smart devices require dependable Real-Time Usage-Data to operate.

This is a very different attitude from comparable Supplier like BG acquiring AlertMe to enable them to push the Hive Smart-Home system. That's aimed at getting customers "locked in" to BG as a Supplier. OVO is building technology based on the "open" SMETS2 standards.