Solved

Why are my charges from July - October split up with two sets of unit rate prices?

• 18 October 2022
  • 2 replies

I have checked my latest bill (July to October) and I just can’t understand it. My flat runs only on electricity, and there’s a section with my tariff information and the cost for the standard charge and unit. There’s only one price amount for each, which I take is the same rate for any time of the day.

However, when looking at the usage, there are different amounts calculated for both. From July to September, I’ve being charged a completely different amount per unit, plus 2 different standing charges applicable to different number of days. I know the overall charges were different then, but this information is still different to my tariff costs then.

Then, from the 1st to 6th of October there’s, again, a different cost per unit from my tariff information, and yet again 2 different standing charges, one applicable to 2 days and another one to 3 days. Not even adding the 5% VAT can I make sense of those prices. 

Could anyone please be kind enough to explain what is going on?

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by juliamc 18 October 2022, 17:43

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 20/10/23 by Abby_OVO: 

Sounds like the rate changed on 1st October - almost definitely the new government price cap!

For all of the most up-to-date information on the Energy Price Guarantee and the Price Cap, check out this topic:

Support available for customers who may be struggling with their bills

Customer support package and where to apply

What to do if I can’t afford my energy bills? 

Badge +1

The billing post  1 October should be at the same prices for all the days.  However, suppliers have been struggling with the OFGEM rates from 1 October (possibly up 75% from before) which were then reduced by the government EPG reduction to be “only” up 25% from pre October..  It looks as if they've implemented one for a couple of days then the second .  That’s not correct.

Pre October there should be on standing rate charge and one unit rate charge for the entire period.

My advice relax, and wait, it will all be sorted eventually -  the prices are a matter of record and can be applied retrospectively to correct your account. Customer services will be overwhelmed with these type of issues at the moment, and in my view unless there is urgent need better to let the backroom staff get on without distraction.