Solved

When will I receive my £30 compensation for a missed engineer appointment?

• 21 December 2017
  • 83 replies

Show first post

83 replies

Userlevel 1

Another question please if that's ok. Does this mean that if a smart meter isn't sending back readings and it's not fixed, then £30 is due then too? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Doesn't count I'm afraid. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks, good to know the facts. The wording could be clearer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Another question please if that's ok. Does this mean that if a smart meter isn't sending back readings and it's not fixed, then £30 is due then too? 

I would need to know more about the situation. 

If you have a smart meter already installed and you report it faulty, suppliers have 5 days to make an assessment and get back to you. 

Really? Why? 

Userlevel 1

I would need to know more about the situation. 

If you have a smart meter already installed and you report it faulty, suppliers have 5 days to make an assessment and get back to you. 

Really? Why? 

Reported it back in November!

It does read but only sends out a signal intermittently and goes days without sending one. That would be ok, but we have solar panels and a battery and want to shift onto a time of use tariff. We can't do that if it's not recording half hourly data. We spent over three months  trying to get a response from OVO  and then convincing them there was an issue. This included me having to repeatedly send screenshots showing that they weren't getting the data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As I understand things, faults that come under that rule are more about the meter not recording anything at all or incorrectly recording. Smart functionality is a separate feature.

Userlevel 1

Reported it back in November!

It does read but only sends out a signal intermittently and goes days without sending one. That would be ok, but we have solar panels and a battery and want to shift onto a time of use tariff. We can't do that if it's not recording half hourly data. We spent over three months  trying to get a response from OVO  and then convincing them there was an issue. This included me having to repeatedly send screenshots showing that they weren't getting the data. 

I'll had that it's an old liberty meter. We recently had a meter reader turn up who said he was surprised that it was sending out any signals. It's nothing to do with having a weak mobile signal, nor it's location. It's all to do with its age.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I'll had that it's an old liberty meter. We recently had a meter reader turn up who said he was surprised that it was sending out any signals. It's nothing to do with having a weak mobile signal, nor it's location. It's all to do with its age.

We know from other threads recently that customers have put in complaints under this supplier obligation. But also @Blastoise186 makes a good point about the liability of OVO. 

So let's look at this in a bit more detail @SarahH 

Have OVO  told you they are agreeing to fit the new meter because they believe or agree the current one is faulty?

Have they said that in writing or on a phone call? 

Userlevel 1

We know from other threads recently that customers have put in complaints under this supplier obligation. But also @Blastoise186 makes a good point about the liability of OVO. 

So let's look at this in a bit more detail @SarahH 

Have OVO  told you they are agreeing to fit the new meter because they believe or agree the current one is faulty?

Have they said that in writing or on a phone call? 

Yes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@SarahH

So they accept the meter is faulty. 

So this is what the latest page says on the OVO website verbatim.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/guaranteed-standard-of-performance-gsop

Credit meters

Once you contact us to tell us that you don’t think your credit meter’s working properly, we’ll:

• Make an assessment of whether or not the meter is faulty within 5 working days
  • Confirm the result of our assessment in writing
  • Take action to fix any faults we find – this could include repairing or replacing the meter – also within 5 working days after you contact us

If we don’t do any of these things, we’ll pay you £30.

They should have met all those statements. Missing any one of those results in a £30 compensation. I doubt they met any from what you have said. 

And as with all GSOP if this isn't automatically paid within 10 days, results in another £30.

Personally i would include this in your complaint as other posters have. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

As I understand things, faults that come under that rule are more about the meter not recording anything at all or incorrectly recording. Smart functionality is a separate feature.

Where does it say that?

Userlevel 1

@SarahH

So they accept the meter is faulty. 

So this is what the latest page says on the OVO website verbatim.

Credit meters

Once you contact us to tell us that you don’t think your credit meter’s working properly, we’ll:

• Make an assessment of whether or not the meter is faulty within 5 working days
  • Confirm the result of our assessment in writing
  • Take action to fix any faults we find – this could include repairing or replacing the meter – also within 5 working days after you contact us

If we don’t do any of these things, we’ll pay you £30.

They should have met all those statements. Missing any one of those results in a £30 compensation. I doubt they met any from what you have said. 

And as with all GSOP if this isn't automatically paid within 10 days, results in another £30.

Personally i would include this in your complaint as other posters have. 

I will do that then, thank you. I really appreciate all your advice. I'll let you know how I get on.

Userlevel 1

I’m afraid my saga continues. I still don't have compensation for 4th April. I also don't have it for the failed appointment on 24th April. I phoned up the complaints team today. For the 24th they have to wait for a report from the installer? He couldn't tell me about the missing money from 4th April.

I pointed out that I was owed £60 for the missed failed/appointments and £60 for missing the 10 day compensation window. I was told that this wasn't true, that I'd only get £30 for each appointment that went wrong. I quoted the website at him. I'm not sure whether he accepted that what I said was true. He can't tell me when they money for either missing appointment will go into our account! 

This is nuts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m afraid my saga continues. I still don't have compensation for 4th April. I also don't have it for the failed appointment on 24th April. I phoned up the complaints team today. For the 24th they have to wait for a report from the installer? He couldn't tell me about the missing money from 4th April.

I pointed out that I was owed £60 for the missed failed/appointments and £60 for missing the 10 day compensation window. I was told that this wasn't true, that I'd only get £30 for each appointment that went wrong. I quoted the website at him. I'm not sure whether he accepted that what I said was true. He can't tell me when they money for either missing appointment will go into our account! 

This is nuts. 

Hi @SarahH 

It is not the first time unfortunately that OVO staff are unaware of the law around compensation payments..…

We have highlighted to the OVO forum moderators before, i have just done it again for you. 

Userlevel 1

Thank you @Jeffus 

Userlevel 2

Hi  I had an engineer visit due between 2-6pm today, but nobody came.…then I went on the live chat and waited for over 30 minutes ....so I thought I would air my disgruntled feelings here. What happens when an engineer doesn't turn up at OVO I am a new customer, can anyone advise?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’ll qualify for £30 compensation in this case and a further £30 if it’s not paid within 10 days of reporting the missed visit. Support can also re-book it for you.

Userlevel 2

@Blastoise186  thank you I think Customer Service is open tomorrow, so I will speak to them first thing. 

i also had this happen yesterday - just a text a call anything would have helped but nothing i am seriously considering cancelling my support contract

Userlevel 2

Well I am a newbie to OVO and honestly can't complain and i come from a previous  supplier who were disrespectful and just didn't want to listen ! This company do listen and seem very fair so far, just ask if you can be compensated...I did and received it within a day, even though the time limit was 10 days.  If you have had to take time off from work I know what it's like it feels like a waste of time........and yes it would help if you had been advised, but at least you receive compensation, it's the first time I have even heard of this, but all companies have to do this!

has anybody else been given the excuse that another error has been spotted so your compensation claim has to star from day 1 again ,meaning your compensation payment is delayed AGAIN?

Userlevel 7

Hey @doddie,

I’m really sorry you’re having such a bad experience,

Can you please tell us what type of compensation payment you’re referring to, so we can offer the best advice. 

It is for gsop and compensation

Userlevel 7

Hey @doddie,

Thank you for clarifying, the advice in this topic may be helpful:

Before this can be applied, we’ll have to make sure that you meet the full eligibility for this industry regulated compensation. Examples of when we would pay GSOP are: 

• An engineer misses an appointment
  • An engineer arrives after the agreed appointment time (outside the 4-hour time slot given to you)
  • The installer or OVO cancels an appointment at short notice (less than 24 hours before the agreed start time on a working day)
  • The engineer is unable to complete the work because they were missing ‘standard’ equipment or arrived with the wrong equipment (when there had been prior notification of what was needed - this must be cross-referenced with the booking to ensure it was booked correctly)
  • An appointment did not go ahead due to an agent booking error
  • System errors such as auto cancellation and not receiving cancellation notification.

We'll have 10 working days (after the missed appointment) to double check these eligibility criteria. If you're owed GSOP compensation, you’ll receive an email confirmation and will be able to see the £30 applied via the ‘Billing History’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

If you’ve not seen the payment applied after 10 days reach out to our Support Team. If you’re eligible but the payment is delayed you might be owed double! 

Can anyone on this forum suggest how I can move forward to having a broken meter replaced. I have now had five appointments for someone to come and replace my meter and once again they have not turned up. When I phone OVO I am told they will definitely come this time, they are submitting a complaint, it will not happen again, and again they do not arrive. When the man came to test my electric meter, he tested the gas meter and informed me I needed it replaced. I have been dealing with this matter since before COVID. I am 69 years old and unable to read the meter myself as it is in the bottom of the larder on the floor. If anyone can suggest a way forward with this matter, I will be very grateful.