Solved

When will I receive my £30 compensation for a missed engineer appointment?

• 21 December 2017
  • 83 replies

Show first post

83 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Will I be entitled to £30 compensation

Possibly. If the Support Team thinks you might qualify for compensation under the Guaranteed Standard of Service, they can raise a claim on your behalf. If the claim is approved, OVO will arrange payment as soon as possible. If that payment takes longer than a certain time to arrive, you might also qualify for it to be doubled to £60 on the basis of the original £30 plus a further £30 for late payment.

I’d recommend talking to the team about that and they’ll take a look. I think what you’re describing qualifies for this sort of thing!

Had a smart meter( more or less bullied into getting them) on 07/07/22. Initially readings being sent….suddenly Ovo stated they could not get a smart meter reading….could I send manually. This done I was informed that it looked like the meter readings “not correct”. Contacted Ovo re this….was told it could take up to 6 weeks for the meters to come on stream.Six weeks came and went….no readings.Contacted Ovo and sent a health check questionnaire wiyh photos. Still no readings. Following on-line chat contacted Ovo and arranged for an engineer to visit to sort the problem.Email received last night, my case closed and would I mind completing a smart meter health check questionnaire…..aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Phoned again this morning no record of my complaint, engineer visit cancelled and case closed. Complaints department phoning me tomorrw.Anyone had similar experience or advice on offer.

Userlevel 7

Hey @yozzer,

Sorry for the experience you’ve had.

It seems you have raised this to the right team and I hope complaints are able to resolve this for you.

I do know that you should have been contacted in the appointment was cancelled. If the appointment was cancelled within 24 hours you’d be entitled to a £30 Guaranteed Standard of Performance (GSOP) missed appointment fee. 

Hope this helps. 

Waited in all day for promised phone call.It never happened. Very very poor customer relations

A very disgruntled Ovo customer

Userlevel 7

So sorry to hear about this, @yozzer 

I know that sometimes unexpected events can mean a promised call has to be missed. I know that all levels of our Support and service teams are under pressure from large incoming contact volumes. But I’m hoping the right team has this on their list to contact you. I’ll get our Forum_Support team to make sure, they’ll reach out to you shortly via a private message. 

I have had two appointments cancelled at very short same day notice, the most recent being today. I called and was connected after 42 mins. I was told that the appointment was “pending” on the system but had a text advising of the cancellation. I was told to call again tomorrow, It was not possible to either re-book the appt or discuss compensation. I certainly have not received £30 for the first cancellation. Completely unimpressed with Ovo customer service and their Indian call centre. I have taken two afternoons off work and am now owed £800 in compensation.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Luap I’ve just replied to your other post about this, check it out here:

My mother has had 2 appointments for smart meter installation and no one has turned up or contacted her on either occasion. Is she due any compensation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Emmah ,

Sorry to hear about that! Yes, your mother does qualify for compensation under the Guaranteed Standards of Performance if she wasn’t notified at least 24 hours in advance.

She’ll be owed £30 for the missed appointment and I think it might be for each one, making it £60. If it’s not paid within 30 days, it goes up another £30. Please let the Support Team know so they can take a look. If your claim is verified, they’ll make the arrangements.

Link to reply not working. Terrible customer service from OVO. Considering leaving.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It looks like the thread was moved. Tim did reply 10 days ago though!

I’ll reply to you here @Luap with roughly what was said.

If the appointments were cancelled less than 24 hours before they were due, you qualify for at least £30 compensation under the Guaranteed Standards of Performance. You need to request this via the Support Team and they can also rebook the appointment again.

If the money isn’t paid within a reasonable time, you get another £30 on top! You do NOT have to pay it back either, it’s yours to keep.

I’ve been waiting weeks for £60 compensation for two very short notice cancelled appointments. I know OVO has no intention of paying. Their customer service is dire.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In that case, https://ovoenergy.com/feedback is your next port of call.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Luap,

Sorry to hear your issue is on-going.

Once you have contacted Support and they’ve raised a Guaranteed Standards of Practice breech to be investigated, the payment is supposed to be made within 10 working days. Otherwise we have to pay an additional £30 compensation for late payment fees.

If you can’t see the £30 credit on your Online Account, I'd advise following @Blastoise186 advice. 

Hope this helps. 

Badge

So we were due an installation which Ovo made a huge deal to remind us of with several letters, text messages and emails. But when the day came no one turned up, we stayed in waiting all day. 

ovo immediately sent an sms survey asking how the installation went ? 

we’ve heard nothing more

has this happened to anytime else? 
thanks

Userlevel 7

I’m really sorry to hear about this no-show appointment, @cloud - not a good move by OVO to follow that up with a survey and no contact about the failure to attend.

As others have mentioned, you’re owed £30 compensation if you weren’t given at least 24 hours notice of the cancellation. If that isn’t sent within 10 working days it gets doubled. 

This should happen automatically, you don’t need to request it. Worst case scenario is you get twice the compensation. Of course if you wanted to rebook or find out why the engineer failed, our Support team can help (web chat closes at 6pm on weekdays). Not sure why you can’t send OVO a Twitter direct message, what happens when you press send?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Given how unreliable Twitter has been in recent months… I wouldn’t be surprised if you hit a Twitter bug and/or some kind of Twitter outage while trying to send a DM to OVO. Unfortunately, that would be beyond OVO’s control if that was the case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If the OVO Twitter DM messages aren't working for some people, the OVO Social Media team simply usually ask customers to send a direct message via the OVO Facebook page. The team can read both sets of messages.

It happens sometimes with both Facebook and Twitter over the years i have used them with various companies.

Userlevel 1

We have had an appointment where the engineer did not turn up a few weeks ago . We've not received compensation.

An engineer did turn up on Monday but it turns out that OVO had muddled the booking and given him the information for meters based in Wales. I'm in Hampshire, England. So he couldn't do the job. I reached out to OVO, again, via email and phone call. No one has even acknowledged us, despite us being with the advance resolution team now.

This has been months and months of trying to sort our issue., with confusing and contradictory responses. It is immensely frustrating. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

We have had an appointment where the engineer did not turn up a few weeks ago . We've not received compensation.

An engineer did turn up on Monday but it turns out that OVO had muddled the booking and given him the information for meters based in Wales. I'm in Hampshire, England. So he couldn't do the job. I reached out to OVO, again, via email and phone call. No one has even acknowledged us, despite us being with the advance resolution team now.

This has been months and months of trying to sort our issue., with confusing and contradictory responses. It is immensely frustrating. 

Hi  @SarahH 

Welcome to the forum, i am just a customer like you. 

In theory you should have got the £30 compensation for the first missed appointment within 10 days of the missed appointment.

• An engineer misses an appointment
  • An engineer arrives after the agreed appointment time (outside the 4-hour time slot given to you)
  • The installer or OVO cancels an appointment at short notice (less than 24 hours before the agreed start time on a working day)
  • The engineer is unable to complete the work because they were missing ‘standard’ equipment or arrived with the wrong equipment (when there had been prior notification of what was needed - this must be cross-referenced with the booking to ensure it was booked correctly)
  • An appointment did not go ahead due to an agent booking error
  • System errors such as auto cancellation and not receiving cancellation notification.

If the payment wasn't made within 10 days, then you are entitled to another £30.

You are also entitled to £30 for the Monday appointment as they didn't come with the right stuff.

Again if this isn't paid within 10 days of the appointment you are entitled to another £30.

These are legal requirements on OVO. 

If you haven't already, i would put in an official complaint

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Make sure you get a complaint number and a named complaint handler.

If OVO don't sort it within 8 weeks, you can ask the Energy Ombudsman to intervene. The average compensation awarded against OVO was another £80 the last time I looked. 

Userlevel 1

Hi  @SarahH 

In theory you should have got the £30 compensation for the first missed appointment within 10 days of the missed appointment.

• An engineer arrives after the agreed appointment time (outside the 4-hour time slot given to you)
  • The installer or OVO cancels an appointment at short notice (less than 24 hours before the agreed start time on a working day)
  • The engineer is unable to complete the work because they were missing ‘standard’ equipment or arrived with the wrong equipment (when there had been prior notification of what was needed - this must be cross-referenced with the booking to ensure it was booked correctly)
  • System errors such as auto cancellation and not receiving cancellation notification.

If the payment wasn't made within 10 days, then you are entitled to another £30.

You are also entitled to £30 for the Monday appointment as they didn't come with the right stuff.

Again if this isn't paid within 10 days of the appointment you are entitled to another £30.

If OVO don't sort it within 8 weeks, you can ask the Energy Ombudsman to intervene. The average compensation awarded against OVO was another £80 the last time I looked. 

Thank you! I appreciate your time. I do have an official complaint put in. Twitter put that in for me in January. I've a reference number, is that the same as a complaint number?

I don't have a named complaint handler. I've had a few different people from the Advanced resolution team contact me over the intervening time. I'll make sure I get one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi  @SarahH 

Thank you! I appreciate your time. I do have an official complaint put in. Twitter put that in for me in January. I've a reference number, is that the same as a complaint number?

I don't have a named complaint handler. I've had a few different people from the Advanced resolution team contact me over the intervening time. I'll make sure I get one.

That should be the complaint number then if you asked via Twitter for a complaint to be raised. Luckily you will have an audit trail of the conversation on Twitter. 

You should now be able to go directly to the Energy Ombudsman as the 8 weeks is up. 

You can always ask OVO for a deadlock letter as the 8 weeks is up, but it isn't necessary. 

If for any reason OVO didn't actually raise a complaint that really is their issue if you asked for it in the Twitter conversation. 

Userlevel 1

That should be the complaint number then if you asked via Twitter for a complaint to be raised. Luckily you will have an audit trail of the conversation on Twitter. 

You should now be able to go directly to the Energy Ombudsman as the 8 weeks is up. 

You can always ask OVO for a deadlock letter as the 8 weeks is up, but it isn't necessary. 

If for any reason OVO didn't actually raise a complaint that really is their issue if you asked for it in the Twitter conversation. 

Great, that's really helpful. I've got a document written with a full time line and complete trail of evidence. Thankfully I hate talking on the phone, so there's only a couple of points of contact that aren't recorded.

In todays email I gave OVO notice that if there wasn't a swift resolution that I'd be taking them to the ombudsman. So I'll give them a couple of days and then do that. We just want working smart meters so we can access time of use tariffs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Great, that's really helpful. I've got a document written with a full time line and complete trail of evidence. Thankfully I hate talking on the phone, so there's only a couple of points of contact that aren't recorded.

In todays email I gave OVO notice that if there wasn't a swift resolution that I'd be taking them to the ombudsman. So I'll give them a couple of days and then do that. We just want working smart meters so we can access time of use tariffs. 

For some unknown reason even some of the  OVO complaint team are unaware of the 10 day rule. If they refuse, pointing  them to this page on their own website is probably the easiest thing to do, although it does need updating with the some current regulations.

https://help.ovoenergy.com/article/240adfd6-644f-4757-b908-6ea3863c8b31-orion

Userlevel 1

For some unknown reason even some of the  OVO complaint team are unaware of the 10 day rule. If they refuse, pointing  them to this page on their own website is probably the easiest thing to do, although it does need updating with the some current regulations.

https://help.ovoenergy.com/article/240adfd6-644f-4757-b908-6ea3863c8b31-orion

Huh! That's worth knowing Ok, thanks I'll do that then Jeffus. It all just seems insanely convoluted at their end.