Warm Home Discount (WHD)

• 27 September 2020
  • 51 replies
Warm Home Discount (WHD)

Show first post

51 replies

Userlevel 1

My supplier for gas and electricity is OVO for the last 6 years I usually get the WHD every year and was told I had to register this year I put in my ID and Postcode and it tells me I do not have my electricity with OVO I tried loads of times during the day and rang them and was told to keep trying

I registered on another page that I found in the end 

I just tried it again just to see and it still says I don’t have electricity with OVO LOL 

Userlevel 1

Nobody has taken over my supply it’s a technical issue my gas has now reappeared back into my account explaining that it was a technical issue about a new supplier has taken over and is being sorted.others have had the same problem too

Userlevel 1

Ignore, apologises

Userlevel 7

Thanks @stevebethere 

Yes it sounds like you were one of around 15,000 members contacted about your gas supply switching away. This was wrong, and was related to a back end change in how the gas gets transported to you. 

It’s good to know this was the cause of this WHD application error message. Got your application in now, @stevebethere @Kiki ? 

Userlevel 1

Hi 

I had to do it via the form through FAQ’s section but i just tried again on the other one where you enter member ID and postcode to see if it is now working but it isn’t and still get this below

Sorry – sadly we’re not supplying your electricity, which means you can’t apply for a Warm Home Discount with us. (Here’s more about who can get it.)

Which is obviously wrong 

Thanks for asking 

Userlevel 1

Yes, thank you Tim.  I was concerned that I got no reply about my application after sending it in, but it did finally come through.

The reason for my concern was that even though I had registered to be told when applications opened I only found out about it yesterday when I logged into here and saw this post. Not getting any kind of notification when registering for this years applications had also also already thrown me a little as I wasn’t sure if I had done so earlier in the year. Having no record of it in my emails, I did register a couple of months ago just to make sure and then wonder about things when I got no reply through, but then saw in here that OVO were not notifying back that they had received the registered details from us.

I checked my spam folder yesterday and I have definitely not had any email through informing me about the process at all this year, whereas I usually get one straight away when it first starts. So I have no idea why I have no had anything through from OVO this time round? I know in this case it is only three days later, and everything managed to go through fine for me. But if I wasn’t the kind of person to pop my head in here occasionally I may have missed it completely and I would have found things a lot more difficult this winter. 

Userlevel 1

It’s OK Tim that form now works 

Thanks

Userlevel 7

Good to hear, @stevebethere @Kiki 

FYI if you’ve registered an interest in the scheme, I know these emails aren’t sent out to everyone at exactly the same time. This is to avoid possible issues caused with high traffic to a web page as everyone who gets the email opens the link at the same time. Instead, this is staggered over a period of a few days. 

If you hadn’t have already applied, I’m sure this email would have been sent out to you by now...

Userlevel 1

Thanks I did it yesterday and got a reply within an hour then couple hours later I got the email to say it was done so all good now.

Thanks for your replies 

Hi @Tim_OVO and @Pierssy 

Thanks for the info. the wording has changed and now ask if anyone in the household has disabilities and relies on electrical equipment so I have managed to apply and been accepted which is one less thing to worry about. 

I have recently migrated from SSE to OVO.  Will I have to reapply for the Warm Home discount I used to receive from SSE, later in the year?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Katie B B B , it may be a wait and see situation as the government has not set out the scheme for next winter yet 

https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme

@BPLightlog

Thank you for your reply.  If the government were to go ahead, then do I have to reapply? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If it’s like last year was, then it’ll likely be automated again unless you’re in Scotland. But please don’t rely on this.

Has the application form for the 2023/2024 Warm Home Discount been released yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’d say another month or so at most and it should be out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is the government page for the scheme which indicates an October date

https://www.gov.uk/check-if-youre-eligible-for-warm-home-discount

I am on Income-based Jobseeker Allowance. Do I qualify for the Warm Home Discount Scheme?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The best way to find out is via https://www.gov.uk/check-if-youre-eligible-for-warm-home-discount

We can’t tell you here as it’s… Complicated...

Good morning I got an email to say I would get the £150 warm home discount  on the 9th of January  but it has not been added  to my account do I need to do anything or will it be added shortly  
Many thanks 
Gary

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you have Smart Meters on PAYG, it should be added to them automatically. If you’re on PAYM, it’ll go to your account credit

Thanks for the reply 

Can OVO take my WHD for a debt I didn't know I had until I left OVO

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @CathyD ,

Warm Home Discount payments are made to the account balance held with OVO - they do NOT go direct to your bank account. If there’s a debt on the account, WHD MIGHT get used to help pay it down. If it ends up wiping the debt, you get to keep the rest for sure, otherwise it just reduces the debt.

Worth bearing in mind that if you owed money to OVO, you’d have had to pay it anyway - using WHD towards it can sometimes save you the trouble and/or hassle of having to do so.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @CathyD, Yes, as @Blastoise186 says.  

Incidentally, there’s a good uswitch guide 

Warm Home Discount scheme 2023-24 - Uswitch

which opens by saying “The Warm Home Discount is a government programme that provides a one-off rebate to the electricity bills of [certain eligible] UK homes…“.

The guide also lists other possible discounts that may be relevant for anybody finding themselves presented with large or unexpected energy bills.

And your present supplier, just like OVO, will have good advice on how to obtain their help for any unexpected debit balance that’s been carried over from your OVO days.

All the best….