Solved

Trying to set up Online Account but old, closed account preventing this

• 23 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I was an SSE customer, and was “migrated” to Ovo.

I also changed address a couple of years back.

Now when I try to register for an online account the system, the application process takes me back to details of my old address account. It’s as though it recognises my longstanding email address as being applicable to that old address. 

It would be easy just to give up trying, but I need to submit meter readings. Pressing option 2 on the phone merely generates a message that “the service is not available right now but you can wait and we’ll connect you with an agent.”

Cue elevator muzaak.

Then, after a couple of “The Queue is 10 minutes long” messages there is a brief brr-brr ringtone and . . .  disconnect.

I receive paper bills and so what I do is to take the (invariably wildly inaccurate) Economy 7 readings and work out my bill myself from my actual readings.

This isn’t an exercise in trying to reduce the amount requested - it can work the other way too. My last bill at the end of December requested a mere £47.92, whereas my calculation was for a much more realistic £216.42. I paid this larger amount by Bank Transfer and will be interested to see whether this is properly reflected on the next bill expected very soon.

A coupe of asides:

why have I been switched to receiving monthly bills after decades of receiving quarterly ones ? Is it an OVO thing?

will I ever see a meter reader again ?

(Signed, Unhappy Ed who just wants to be able to pay his bills promptly and accurately.)

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 24 January 2023, 11:04

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Can’t answer most of this but I’d try ringing back tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday as Mondays are notoriously busy on any phone lines. I think you’d need to speak to someone at OVO customer services. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Ed Williamson,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

Support will need to delete the email address from your old account, this should resolve your issue.

OVO does provide monthly billing and we also have a live billing system so whenever you submit a meter reading to your Online Account, your balance will update accordingly within 24-48 hours. This means you’ll be able to see what you’re using in between statements. We have a great guide about this topic here:

OFGEM regulation dictates that all suppliers have to send round meter readers. However, if you’re on our Priority Services Register you can request to have regular quarterly readings or book in meter readings for a time/date that suits you. 

I would recommend getting a free smart meter installation, so that your bills are never estimated and your meter readings are sent across automatically:

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1

Hey @Ed Williamson,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

Support will need to delete the email address from your old account, this should resolve your issue.

OVO does provide monthly billing and we also have a live billing system so whenever you submit a meter reading to your Online Account, your balance will update accordingly within 24-48 hours. This means you’ll be able to see what you’re using in between statements. We have a great guide about this topic here:

OFGEM regulation dictates that all suppliers have to send round meter readers. However, if you’re on our Priority Services Register you can request to have regular quarterly readings or book in meter readings for a time/date that suits you. 

I would recommend getting a free smart meter installation, so that your bills are never estimated and your meter readings are sent across automatically:

Hope this helps. 

Thank you. I managed to get through to an Option 5 (i.e. a human being) today after a not-too-long wait, explained the situation, and was assured that it would be rectified your end by removal of the email/old address link.

We’ll see !

Userlevel 1

My problem has been resolved, so thank you