Solved

THTC meter removal

• 15 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello,

The property I bought last year had a THTC meter and storage heaters, so the first thing I did was rip out the storage heaters and pull out the whole heating ring main as part of a full rewrite that was needed. So nothing connected to the THTC meter.

I contacted SSE multiple times to try to get an appointment to remove the THTC meter but they kept saying there were no engineers in my area (North of Scotland) to do the work. Tried time and time again, and even got a work order number, but still no engineer. Eventually my electrician just pulled the meter off, taking pictures of course! Still got the meter with all the tags intact, etc.

The meter reader was round recently and noted that the meter was gone and took pictures, noted it down in his records, etc. but still got bill with THTC meter estimate.

Called Ovo to try and get the meter removed from my account but best they said they could do was to put me on to a single rate tariff.

This has been going on for 18 months now. Please can someone help?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 16 November 2023, 10:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @thefiddich,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

Usually a meter removal would be dealt with by the supplier, the supplier would then have the job report and ‘evidence’ the meter has been removed to then remove the MPAN number from the national database and inform the DNO to remove the supply. This then stops the standing charges. 

This would be the ordinary process for two MPANs and two different meters:

In order to resolve this we must supply the MPAN that is being removed.

1. The customer will need to get an electrician to attend the property and confirm that all of the appliances in the home are powered by the meter they want to keep
  2. Book a Meter Exchange, and a Meter Removal, explaining in the notes that a physical disconnection is required.
  3. Raise a case to the metering team
  4. Advise the customer to contact their DNO to arrange for a disconnection once the work is complete

Have you contacted the DNO? I’m assuming the difficulty or delay here is because this work hasn’t been carried out by OVO. 

Thank you this is a big help!

I did contact my DNO (SSE) and they pointed me to my supplier (SSE Energy/Scottish Hydro) but they did not have any engineers available to do the meter removal. Not for lack of trying on my part.

Now that the meter is gone, would I be able to go to my DNO (SSE) with the evidence I already have from my electrician? Or do I still need to book a meter removal appointment through OVO?

Do OVO even have engineers working in the Highlands/North of Scotland? That has been the major issue so far.

Userlevel 6

Hey @thefiddich 

Sorry to hear about the trouble you’ve been having trying to get this done.

You should be able to book this job with the Support Team. Meter Removal jobs are the suppliers’ responsibility if the customer wishes to have a meter removed. This is a charged job of £106 for a single phase meter, or £325 for a 3-phase meter.

Check out this really helpful topic for more on job prices and engineer work provided by OVO:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@thefiddich have you managed to book an ovo engineer?