Tariffs 3 Tier Superdeal rates

• 8 January 2024
  • 16 replies

New charges 3 tariff Superdeal. The charges issued for January 2024 are most unfair as all the increase is put onto the night storage which increases bills unfairly. Am not pleased.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @mabels ,

This comment was left by a Forum Volunteer and is his personal views. It does not reflect the official views of OVO

Unfortunately, Superdeal is no longer the super deal it once was, and the same is true for all legacy complex tariffs like Heatwise, THTC, Storage Heating Control, Comfort Plus, Comfort Plus Control, Flexiheat, Weathercall and Warmwise.

The best advice I can give is that I strongly recommend you look to upgrade to Smart Meters, since the RTS Service that Superdeal relies on is shutting down soon anyway, which will potentially break your current setup.

You would also need to change your tariff to something that’s currently supported, which OVO can discuss with you. Please contact the Support Team via https://ovoenergy.com/help to discuss further.

If you don’t do anything, then unfortunately I cannot make any promises whatsoever as to how long your heating and hot water will continue working as-is.

Thank you for your message, have just spoken to OVO they are unable to change 3 tier meter  to a smart meter as  they are still working on the technology. they assure me they will be in touch with all RTS meter users when this is available (which hopefully will be soon). So am stuck with the high charges for the time being which seems most unfair. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Costs have been rising for some time, it’s possible you hadn’t seem them until now. I’m aware that some complex tariffs haven’t had rate changes in several years, so it may have hit you all at once.

I watch the prices all the time and have been aware of price increases.  OVO just have not done a fair break up of the three tariffs with the January 2024 increase and  the storage part of my heating has gone up dramatically while day unit has gone down. Superdeal is supposed to be a deal for night storages users but with this breakup it does not give us much.

Thank you for trying to help

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I watch the prices all the time and have been aware of price increases.  OVO just have not done a fair break up of the three tariffs with the January 2024 increase and  the storage part of my heating has gone up dramatically while day unit has gone down. Superdeal is supposed to be a deal for night storages users but with this breakup it does not give us much.

Thank you for trying to help

Hi @mabels it is difficult to suggest how to escalate the matter.

I agree the way the increase has been applied will impact some people hard and the time taken for ovo to switch these meters is incredibly long, some would say "unreasonably" long and that more resources could have been dedicated to it.

OVO were fined recently for missing their general smart meter installations target, the second highest fine amongst suppliers.

Personally I would put in an official complaint, then if the situation isn't resolved in 8 weeks ask the Energy Ombudsman to rule.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

https://www.energyombudsman.org/

OVO will then have 28 days from a final decision from the Ombudsman to implement any resolution.

At least then you will have done everything you can.

I do really feel for the complex meter customers as the issue has been known for years. There has been an industry wide failure to address the issues in a timely manner I think.

I hope you get sorted quickly.

Userlevel 7

Hey @mabels,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community, 

The Radio Teleswich System shutdown is now due April 2024, so hopefully we should see progress for replacing these meters over the next few months. When current advice changes we’ll update the relevant topics. 

They do not know! I received a call back this morning after sending an email regarding what will happen to my Superdeal tariff before the RTS switch off next year & I got the distinct impression that the problem is just being postponed & they do not really have a solution. I explained our 2 meter Superdeal setup & the lady seemed bemused & could give no indication of what I could be switched to, either with a smart meter or without!

Economy 9, 10 whatever, not a clue! They will be in touch next year! No plan, nothing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Long story short, Superdeal is dead and will be going away. When the time is right, OVO will reach out to you directly to discuss migration options.

This should happen within the next 12 months or so.

Long story short, Superdeal is dead and will be going away. When the time is right, OVO will reach out to you directly to discuss migration options.

This should happen within the next 12 months or so.

I realise that Superdeal is going but concerned that OVO appear to have no possible options in their minds to convey to worried customers! The RTS was due to go this month & I received nothing from OVO or indeed previously SSE in recent months to suggest any options. That date has now gone but a year will go quickly & complicated setups such as mine will need looking at well before the RTS goes off! My worry is a scramble to get customers sorted out before the switch goes to off & we are left with problems of supply & cost. No apparent forward planning in evidence as is usual in UK!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s because the new migration path needs to be finalised first. It’s making progress and as a Forum Volunteer, I get regular updates - but I’m forbidden from sharing them publicly without OVO’s consent. At the moment, they’ve asked me to keep things under wraps, so I have to comply with that.

RTS Shutdown is now April/June 2025 - this is pretty much locked in now.

That’s because the new migration path needs to be finalised first. It’s making progress and as a Forum Volunteer, I get regular updates - but I’m forbidden from sharing them publicly without OVO’s consent. At the moment, they’ve asked me to keep things under wraps, so I have to comply with that.

RTS Shutdown is now April/June 2025 - this is pretty much locked in now.

What is so secret & why not provide a good customer service by helping relieve their customers worries & concerns? The website states Superdeal support is being withdrawn soon. No associated comments to tell the customer when or what things will happen!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m just a Forum Volunteer - I don’t work for OVO. It’s not me you should be putting pressure on.

I do my best to get the most accurate advice possible, but I also have to balance that with not creating false hopes. In certain cases, I may have to err on the side of caution and not spill the beans. That’s just how it has to be.

I have put pressure on OVO since migrating to them last year & prior to that SSE! Nobody I speak to appears to know anything despite Superdeal support soon going.

No pressure is meant to be conveyed to you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you want a solution now, just like I mentioned earlier in the thread - simply change tariffs and upgrade to Smart Meters. That is possible to do iirc.

If you want a solution now, just like I mentioned earlier in the thread - simply change tariffs and upgrade to Smart Meters. That is possible to do iirc.

According to Mabels a few months ago they were told that OVO have not yet got the technology to change a 3 tier type meter to a smart meter. That is the dilemma I have, Superdeal tariff with 3 tier meter giving day, night & water readings & second meter giving reading for my storage heaters.

Userlevel 6

Hi @johndebs 

One of our volunteers Blastoise186 has left some really helpful advice on this already, but I just wanted to add a little onto this.

The Radio Teleswich System shutdown is now due April 2025, and we’ll be in touch with all impacted customers as soon as we know more on the solutions moving forward, as well as updating related topic threads on the Forum.

We know it’s not an ideal situation, with so little information available but we’re working hard to get a solution in place as soon as possible.