Skip to main content
Solved

Switched to a new tariff and I've ended up with 2 accounts, what do I do?

• 17 May 2024
  • 3 replies

Our fixed 2 year tariff deal ended in April and we decided to stick with OVO on a new fixed 1 year deal. We had 2 acct numbers when we log in. The old one showing £2892 in credit but new one just opened a month showing £2475 in debit. How can this be?? 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Help! veryconfused.com

3 replies

Userlevel 7

It sounds like you somehow did an 'account switch' rather than simply changing tariff, so you got a new account.

I believe that can happen if you pick a new tariff from the 'Get a quote' webpage rather than changing tariff through your account on the 'Renewals' page.

So it would be a bit like moving house while keeping supplier - moving out of your house and back in again all on the same day. The computer wouldn’t be bothered at all that your ‘new’ address was the same as the old one.

@Firedog  didn't that happen to you recently? IIRC you did manage to get it cancelled and stayed on your existing account.
(PS. Lightbulb moment about what may be going on with my own account as reported elsewhere).

As for the new balance I dunno, but is it perhaps actually saying -£2475 debit?
A minus debit is a credit.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Updated on 28/05/24 by Abby_OVO

It sounds like you somehow did an 'account switch' rather than simply changing tariff, so you got a new account.

I believe that can happen if you pick a new tariff from the 'Get a quote' webpage ...

@Firedog  didn't that happen to you recently?

Yes! And of course it happened just before an extended bank holiday, so I had no way of cancelling the change until the new tariff had been in place for a few days. It was quite simple to cancel - I was still in the mandatory 14-day cooling-off period. I called 0800 012 1232 and got through straight away to a very clued-up agent. 

There is one hangover, though: the new account that was set up by accident is still there, and I’m required to select the right one every time I sign in.

If you’re experiencing issues with your account or something else following a change of tariff and are still withing the 14 day cooling off period, our Support Team will be able to help, you can find all contact channels for the team here. If it’s after the 14 days, our Support Team will still do their best to help where they can and make things as easy easy possible, but some options such as cancellation may be limited.

Userlevel 4

Hi @ArchieThom,

I’m sorry to hear this.

I can see our forum volunteers have already given some good advice here. This definitely sounds like it has been done in error. I’d advise contacting our Support team so that they can look into this further for you. 

Please keep us updated.