Solved

Sudden change in account balance. Smart meter reads out of line?

• 23 September 2023
  • 15 replies

A couple of days ago I requested a credit of £500.00 as I was nearly £1000.00 in credit. I just looked at the app and it now says that I am just over £2000.00 in arrears

icon

Best answer by Firedog 26 September 2023, 12:02

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

That sounds scary. In the app, under Payments select See charges and payments and then under the current period select See details. Do you see anything on that page to suggest what might have gone wrong? Refunds should be shown under Balance changes, but there may be something else lower down under Charges breakdown.

Well it’s gone up even more now 

I think someone has made a huge mistake now and furthermore I have been away for almost a week now. Will be interesting when I get home and find any electrical appliances turned full blast.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Even scarier! Now check the meter readings, because that’s where the error is coming from. Account > Meter readings > View reading history. It looks like a couple of decimal places got dropped somehow; there’s no way ordinary domestic appliances could be drawing 300kW constantly.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Wiseman65 

Sorry to hear (and see this).

Even scarier! Now check the meter readings, because that’s where the error is coming from. Account > Meter readings > View reading history. It looks like a couple of decimal places got dropped somehow; there’s no way ordinary domestic appliances could be drawing 300kW constantly.

I agree with Firedog here, it looks like something has gone a bit wrong with the meter readings to cause such large charges on 22nd & 23rd September. Would you be able to share a screenshot of the meter readings it’s using for this?

Yes here is the most up to date meter reading which appears to have dropped 

I have just contacted them via WhatsApp I await their reply with interest 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thanks. 

Yes here is the most up to date meter reading .. 

Thanks. That looks like crossed wires somewhere, but if the readings in the 200s are a natural progression from the ones before the 7000 readings appeared, you should be OK. The drop from 7753 to 224 will have raised a red flag for those monitoring smart readings; they should have checked, realized that the 7000 readings were anomalous and probably taken no further action other than to remove the flag, because they shouldn’t have any effect on your bill.

Does billing for the current period now look more sensible? It should show the actual readings used to calculate the balance, the one at the start of the period and today’s. If there are no others shown on the billing page, you’re in the clear. 

If I were you, I’d use webchat to contact the support team and ask them to find out from the metering team what went wrong. If you do find out, please come back here and tell us what they said. 

[Bonus tip: with the price cap drop imminent, some customers have noticed that no smart reading is recorded for the first day of the quarter. We don’t know whether this is intentional or simply a result of the data communications system being overwhelmed by the traffic generated by the tariff changes. It means, though, that the September bill is based on an estimate; it will be pretty accurate, but a blemish on the bill nonetheless. To avoid this, users have found that a reading manually submitted on the 1st is used to calculate the bill. If you’re back home by then, use the app to send a reading early on Sunday morning and watch what happens. It won’t do any harm either way.]  

It looks pretty normal to me, but I have Contacted Avvo energy via WhatsApp and they are aware of issues and it may take 2 to 3 days to resolve

Userlevel 7

Hey @Wiseman65,

Did you get any response about this? The readings certainly look very out of line. Have you had a recent meter exchange?

Know the meter that I have was installed, I think in 2018, I mean a smart meter

Userlevel 7

Hey @Wiseman65,

If the Support Team are able to get to the bottom of this, it would be really helpful if you’re able to pop back and let us know! It might help other Community Members in a similar position 🙂

My account debt has took a significant leap in 4 weeks from an estimated £809 in debt to  £2,095 in debt.. my bills have changed for both october to November and november to December's billing period, this has occurred in the last 4 weeks. Now to be precises, we are a family of 3/4 that are out alot through the week, appliances are switched off when not in use, and heating is used frugally but these two billing periods state i have used over £1000 in energy between them, where at the billing period end date I was roughly £300, around £60 more than my direct debt. All of these issues have occurred since changing to a smart meter. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Userlevel 6

Hi @DEC87 

I’m sorry to hear about the issue you’re having with your billing.

If the balance and readings are estimated, but you’ve got a smart meter, it sounds like the smart meter might not be communicating with us. It might be worth submitting an actual meter reading to get that balance corrected. You can submit a smart meter health check to the Support Team so they can check the communication status and check if we’re able to get readings from the meter. I’ve linked below to our smart meter health checks, just fill out the one that matches your meter:

Let us know how you get on.

So....wtf has just gone on with my account!! I check every month, have a smart meter and pay DD. I checked last month and I was still slightly in credit. I've just checked today and all pay past bills now have a whopping £0000 debit on them!!! Ovo emailed me my last bill and said we were £300 in credit so wtf have they done??? Has anyone else's done this overnight, is there an IT issue or something today....??

Userlevel 6

Hi @VicPlum 

I’m really sorry to hear about this.

We don’t have access to accounts here at the Forum so it can be tricky sometimes to know exactly what’s gone wrong. Would you be able to share a screenshot of the meter readings page with us, this should help us provide more advice here.