Solved

solar panels and Economy 7

• 28 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello everyone,

I have had solar panels and several additional updated storage heaters fitted with a Government grant. I have an Economy 7 system and previously the hot water was heated at night, as was my one old storage heater, however the charges are going up every month, much more than under the old system. Is it because the solar panels are only contributing to day time electricity use ( although with it being Winter they probably don’t do much anyway?) 

would it make sense to alter the timer for the hot water to be heated during the day? Your thoughts would be appreciated

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 28 February 2024, 09:07

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Rubberducky , you should still be getting a cheaper off peak rate overnight for your storage heaters and hot water. The only bit to think about is if you also have to add heat to either the storage heating or hot water during the day. 
Solar PV will help but without batteries it can only give what it is producing towards whatever you’re using at that time. So at the moment, it will be on lower generation during winter but will help more during the rest of the year. 
There are devices which can use excess solar to heat your water but again this will only work when it is producing more than the home requires. 

Badge

Thanks for this, looks like I need to add batteries.