Solved

OVO Website Shows Different Offers Depending on Browser - why?

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is very unusual, but if I log into the OVO website using Firefox, I do not get the same offers within the Offers page than if I do when I log in using Chrome or Edge.

I have cleared the OVO cookies and cache from Firefox, closed the browser and reopened it, make it makes no difference.

Anyone else had this issue?

icon

Best answer by Abby_OVO 31 July 2023, 17:57

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not a bug. This sounds like A/B Testing to me.

Userlevel 1
Badge

What does A/B testing mean?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Long story short, trying out two different versions of a webpage at once to see which one works best.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Long story short, trying out two different versions of a webpage at once to see which one works best.

I see. So nothing I’m doing wrong. 
Thank you. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Bazza20 

Good advice above from Blastoise186 here, and we don’t think this is something you’re doing wrong at all.

If the browsers are still showing differently on different browsers for you, would you be able to send us a couple of screenshots so we can send this back to the team. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Abby_OVO 

Please see screenshots from my Firefox and Chrome browsers.

You can see that the available offers and menu layout within the Chrome browser is vastly different to that shown within Firefox.

As per my earlier post, I cleared the cache and cookies from my Firefox browser, but this made no difference.

FIREFOX BROWSER

CHROME BROWSER

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Note from Blastoise

There appears to be signs of an active A/B Test that is being blocked by Firefox which may be causing the interference and experience shown above.

Analysis of UniFi Network logs and tcpdump captures from Exploud suggests that Firefox doesn’t even attempt to download the stuff managed by the test tool.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Note from Blastoise

There appears to be signs of an active A/B Test that is being blocked by Firefox which may be causing the interference and experience shown above.

Analysis of UniFi Network logs and tcpdump captures from Exploud suggests that Firefox doesn’t even attempt to download the stuff managed by the test tool.

@Blastoise186 Do you get that information from within the images I provided or through other means?

Can I change a setting within Firefox to prevent this, or is that outside of my control?

Ultimately, I’ll just use another browser to access Ovo, but there may be other users who are unaware of this and are not seeing additional offers available to them, which is detrimental to them and Ovo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I have a fancy network setup of Ubiquiti UniFi kit. It comes with some pretty powerful diagnostic tools that I can use if needed. I just used those to do it, but it’s not something most people can do as you also need to know how the tools work to use them.

Firefox is known to be quite strict with the anti-tracker stuff and sometimes that can break sites. You might be able to set an override for OVO to bypass, but otherwise try another browser for now.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Blastoise186 Thanks for providing an insight into what is happening.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Bazza20 as expected, @Blastoise186 was spot on as always.

I spoke with the teams who work on these and they’ve said that they often carry out variant testing to determine the best version of our websites. This means that some of our customers will see one variant and the rest an alternative version. It's quite common for some browsers or extensions to block our testing tool, like Firefox has done in this case.

So the views may appear different sometimes, but it’s definitely not something you’re doing!

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Abby_OVO Thanks for looking into this.

It was by chance that I discovered this, otherwise I would have thought I was ineligible for products such as Charge Anytime.

Appreciate all the feedback provided.