Solved

OVO entered my.house and changed meter to PAYG!

• 27 January 2024
  • 4 replies

After 7 days of continuously calling no one still has any answers one week ago ovo instructed someone to enter my home, to change my meter. I am not in debt and have had no letters as to why this is or was happening I have been in this house 8 months and have paid every month for my gas and electric....no one seems to have any answers as to why or who gave the order to do so....I am at my wits end trying to get answers and no one will get back to me

And to top it off I went to go and top up the key at a payment and it doesn't work ...

icon

Best answer by Firedog 28 January 2024, 19:30

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

The electricity company are within their rights to change your meter: it’s part of the core terms and conditions you have agreed to. You would normally be given reasonable notice of this, but I don’t think there’s any obligation on the company’s part to give notice. 

It’s not clear from your post what type of meter you had before and whether it’s different from the new one. You wrote “I have … paid every month for my gas and electric,” which suggests that you were paying on receipt of bill (what is called On demand payment). You go on to mention topping up a key, which sounds as if you now have a pre-payment meter. 

The support staff should be able to help you top up if the key isn’t working: How do I get in contact? | OVO Energy

The problem was with previous tenants nothing to do with me...I had no warning or any contact about them coming into my house they didn't even check who was living here

They gave me a key meter and haven't sorted that out no one seems to even know what is going on

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The problem was with previous tenants nothing to do with me...I had no warning or any contact about them coming into my house they didn't even check who was living here

They gave me a key meter and haven't sorted that out no one seems to even know what is going on

Hi @Shanie2887 

Welcome to the customer forum, I am just a customer like you.

You didn't mention tenants in your previous post. It is obviously difficult to know what is going on as no one here can see your account or whether this has anything to do with previous tenants. 

As well as the good advice from @Firedog, if you haven't already, try calling ovo collections and see if they can shed any light on the situation 

The number is 0800 069 9831. They’re open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.

If you get know where after a few days then post again with an update in case anyone can offer more suggestions 

Good luck!

Userlevel 7

Hey @Shanie2887,

I’m really sorry to hear this, it sounds like a very stressful situation. 

I can see our Community Members have already given some helpful advice here. The collections team may be able to offer some more information here. 

For a meter to be exchanged and a warrant arranged, the account would have gone through a lengthily collections process. It sounds like a previous tenant must have built up a very large arrears.

I’m surprised that the meter exchange went ahead despite the fact that you have an OVO account set up in your name and you’ve been paying the bill each month. 

If the meter is a smart meter (it sounds like it may not be as you advised there’s a key) the meter mode will be able to be reverted back to pay monthly quite easily. If not, you should be able to contact the support team who’ll be able to book in a smart meter exchange for a pay monthly meter. 

In the meantime, our topic hub for pay as you go should answer any questions you have about the current meter:

I hope this helps.