Solved

Options for landlord supply for six apartments

• 13 June 2023
  • 5 replies

• Carbon Cutter***
  • 5 replies

Having received very useful adviceĀ on here previously in relation to this issue I just wondered if anyone can advise on the best electricity suppliers to install a new meter to separate out communal streetlights from apartment communal supply. With free meter installation and reasonable standing charge and usage costs.Ā  National Grid have advised that the existing landlord supply has three available cables so an entirely new supply won't be necessary. We will be able to leave the current landlord meter for streetlights serving all 17 properties on the estate. With the new meter set up for the six apartment communal costs only. Both estate and apartment companies are going to be separate freehold companies for the estate and apartments respectively and due to disagreements on apportionment for the apartments we are keen to get the meter installed ASAP.

Ā 

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.Ā 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 13 June 2023, 19:46

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 23/11/23 by Abby_OVO

Ā 

Hey, welcome back!

Unfortunately, installing this stuff isnā€™t free. OVO charges about Ā£160 for each newly created connection which includes installing the meter and getting the supply going. The unit rates/standing charges would initiate as being OVOā€™s Simpler Energy variable rate tariff to begin with, same as everyone else can offer. Each flat could then switch tariff or supplier freely once itā€™s all set up, without affecting anyone else.

Other than OVO, only the former Big Six have the ability to create new connections iirc. So that leaves you with:

• OVO
  • E.On (dead due to E.On Next transfer)
  • nPower (dead due to takeover by E.On)
  • British Gas
  • Scottish Power
  • EDF

If you choose to go with OVO, Iā€™ll need to check with the forum moderators about the best way forwards. Iā€™ll have a word with them overnight but this wonā€™t commit you to anything - itā€™ll just mean itā€™s easier to know what to do next if you take this route.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you need a business/non-domesticĀ supply howeverā€¦Ā Thatā€™s gonna be more complicated. Youā€™d need to find a business supplier capable of setting up connections. I donā€™t know any myself. :(

If you need a business/non-domesticĀ supply howeverā€¦Ā Thatā€™s gonna be more complicated. Youā€™d need to find a business supplier capable of setting up connections. I donā€™t know any myself. :(

Ā 

As I understand it, it will be a biz supply. Installing one meter for apartment communal supply.Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Got it. Try this one:Ā https://www.sseenergysolutions.co.uk/forms/new-connections-electricity

SSE Energy Solutions is the business/non-domestic version of what OVO and SSE do, but itā€™s owned by SSE Group rather than OVO Group. They can give you a quote to set up a meter and create a supply. You might need to call them first though.Ā https://www.sseenergysolutions.co.uk/quote

There might be others, but this oneā€™s probably the easiest for now.

Thank you very much. I'll give them a call tomoz.