Solved

Octopus Energy haven’t taken payments in a while, should I be worried?

• 5 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2

Hi, just a quick question that I hope someone can answer to ease my anxiety. My energy provider is Octopus and I’m on a fully electric Economy 7 tariff, with a manual meter. Typically I’d give them my night and day readings and later that week they’d deduct the amount used from my balance, but since the end of August they’ve taken no payments from me. I still provide regular readings and am building up credit in my account for when (I presume) they’ll take the backdated amount, but should I be worried? Does this happen from time to time?

It may have something to do with them thinking I had a nonexistent second meter in my property for a while and then finally listening to me (I’d told them for months that it didn’t exist and I only had one meter, the one I provide regular readings for,) and having it removed from my account, but I wanted to know if anyone could reassure me that I’ve taken the right steps and that I hopefully don’t need to worry.

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 5 December 2023, 09:53

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @bbriii 

I think the best thing to do is definitely to contact Octopus and explain the situation so they can make the appropriate corrections in their billing system.

It is certainly usual.

Luckily as you say you are building up credit to cover the bills when they do occur.

In theory Octopus can only back bill you for 12 months but I wouldn't personally leave it.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/check-energy-back-billing-rules