Solved

Not an OVO customer- How do I get a late payment fee reversed?

• 20 February 2023
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I pay my  monthly electricity bills by cheque. November’s  statement/bill did not include the £66 gov grant so I queried this and did not pay it.   December’s statement/bill showed 2 x £66 grants  plus November’s bill and  a £10 penalty charge for late payment.  I paid the sum due for both months less the £10 penalty charge. This was applied to my account for a late payment.

Now I am being pursued with red notices and phone calls and my explanations not accepted.

How can I get the penalty payment removed and the black mark on my credit taken away?

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 21 February 2023, 08:08

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@jaybell

Are you an OVO customer? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Sorry, cheese-paring as it might seem of OVO, I think you should have paid the bill in full by the due date. That’s what the Ts&Cs states. If the EBSS hadn’t appeared on the bill you shouldn’t have relied on it coming within the 14 days payment window. Others may disagree?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Jeffus; No I’m not.  Using this forum for all sorts of help, its brilliant.

The response above from Juliamc  does not address what happened but what maybe should have happened. So I am saddled with  a penalty  notice and have no idea how to get rid of it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 31/13/23 by Abby_OVO

Jeffus; No I’m not.  Using this forum for all sorts of help, its brilliant.

The response above from Juliamc  does not address what happened but what maybe should have happened. So I am saddled with  a penalty  notice and have no idea how to get rid of it.

@jaybell i just asked as it helps us regular posters when replying. It is a hard one to give advice on as personally I would have paid the November bill in your situation. I think it was a mistake not to. So it is difficult to give advice. So what next? 

Well, what were the dates of the EBSS payments in November? How late was the payment? Lots of people have experienced late payments across suppliers, it hasn't been easy for suppliers and payment delays occur for a variety of reasons. 14 days isn't unusual and is often longer. I haven’t seen any examples of customers not paying bills in these situations. 

Did you explicitly agree with your supplier that the bill didn't need to be paid until the EBSS payment was given to you? In writing via on line chat or via a recorded phone call? Do they have a record of that agreement? 

I think without that it will be hard to get your money back and you would be better paying the penalty. You can't just not pay the whole of a queried bill without some formal agreement as the system will trigger penalties. Have a look at your suppliers terms and conditions related to disputed bills and what  process you and they should have followed.

You could write to them first and ask if they will remove the £10 charge and  black mark as a gesture of good will, given you have a good record of payment with them and you honestly delayed payment while the bill was investigated. 

If you did get explicit agreement, then you could use the suppliers formal complaint procedure. They have 8 weeks to reply or issue a deadlock letter, then you can go to the Energy Ombudsman.

I would seriously consider paying the penalty now while you progress the case, just so the penalty doesn't escalate into further penalties in the short term if nothing else. I think you don't want to risk the issue getting worse should you loose any complaint.

Does that help? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Sorry not to have addressed your current situation. If I were you I’d just cut my losses and pay the £10 too. Annoying as it may be it could end up giving you hours of agro.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@jaybell let us know what you decide to do and how you get on.

It is always useful for us when try to give advice. 

In your situation, if you cannot get the 10 pounds removed, fill in a customers complaint form and give 14 days notice, that way you can escalate it to the next level. Hope that helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@jaybell are you OK if we mark this as complete now? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for all the comments.  If no -one else wants to contribute I’m happy to close this issue

I am waiting for a replacement card from my bank so have no way to pay online at the moment and my billing period ends tomorrow, I just wondered how long I have to pay until I receive late charges? Also will my electricity cut off until I pay?

I could go to my bank and try to make a transfer in branch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Tdg93uk

See here