Solved

Non Standard Billing Responsibility Situation

• 21 February 2024
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1

I recently moved out of rental and now have an issue with my landlord related to electricity bills.

When I checked in originally, the landlord gave me clear instructions to use the elec meter under the stairs and the gas meter in the side passage. As usual I registered with a supplier and continued to pay monthly bills like normal. Never another issue during the rental and the energy supply account is now closed, all happy.

I ended my tenancy recently and the landlord has suddenly raised an issue with my deposit saying I didn't register a second elec meter. One that was hidden an unused storage cupboard. I'm being told that some of the wiring is split in the house so there is a separate meter. I was never told about this second meter and have no idea what it connects to etc.

Im waiting for the energy supplier to investigate now but playing it out in my mind, if there is another meter and I didn't register it because was never told about it, then I have no evidence to fall back on to the landlord and will likely be accountable for any debt.

I don't think this is fair at all.

1.Can anyone provide guidance on who's responsible here?

2. Is there a complaint option to formal explain what happened and pass responsibility to the landlord?

icon

Best answer by Jonathan0001 28 February 2024, 19:59

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Jonathan0001 !

Bit of a tough one here to be honest. ECOES and Xoserve would have all the answers, but if you no longer control the supply you won’t have the ability to request data from those systems.

I’d say definitely chat with Citizens Advice about this. AFAIK if you were only told about one meter and the supplier was happy with that being the right one, any other meters are NOT your problem.

If the landlord is talking about some sneaky sub-meter that was fed by your main one? Well too bad for them - they can’t make you pay for that one in such a setup. Either way, you probably have a very strong case on the basis they never told you about that other meter. You shouldn’t be expected to know about stuff squirreled away in some deep dark corner cupboard that was supposedly empty when you moved in.

It’s on your landlord to prove you’re in the wrong, not on you to prove you’re in the clear.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Jonathan0001, it looks to me as if the account you had (now successfully closed) never included specific billing for this separate mysterious meter? So, being brutal about it, regardless of the fact that you were resident in the property, you could well be justified in saying “not my meter for billing purposes, therefore not my bill”.

It would be interesting to ask the ex-landlord just what circuits that meter supplied, how safe they think it was your knowing nothing about it, and what the readings on it were at the time you moved in, and the date at which you left. Could be for storage heating/hot water for example.

I’m not saying refusing to pay is necessarily your legal position here vis-à-vis the bill/liability for usage on this meter, but it’s an approach that I for one would think reasonable?  The energy company, any energy supplier, is interested in account settlement attaching to any given billing meter as being the responsibility only of whatever account holder is named for that meter (and it clearly wasn’t yourself), I would assume, anyway, as an ordinary consumer myself…

EDIT…Yep, just seen the reply from @Blastoise186, couldn’t agree more…

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Jonathan0001 , from what you’ve said above you registered and paid for the energy used. I would have thought that if there was another meter associated with the property then the supplier would have already been aware and made you aware too. 
Of course as has been mentioned that is not a complete answer but presuming that you were renting for several months at least, then nothing else being asked for from yourself would suggest that there was not anything more registered for the property. 
Hopefully you have bills available especially those finalising the account. 
Citizens Advice is a good contact point for a little more information. Hope you get some reassurance. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks all, very helpful. I was there 3 years, and I even recall the supplier doing a physical meter check at one point and never an issue raised. It is a long payment period so hence why im concerned of what debt i could be assigned. I think citizens advice is my only option as from my perspective I've been grossly misled by the landlord and I don't want debt chasers attacking me for refusal to pay something.

As I understand, it is electricity serving the property I rented, it's just wired strangely via this rogue meter. Therefore if I was consuming it it would ultimately be my cost. II'll await the suppliers conclusion and see where I stand.

Thanks again 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

On the other hand, if the rogue meter is a landlord sub-meter being fed by the one you were paying the bills on, you’re in the clear because you’ve already paid everything off. :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Fair enough, thanks @Jonathan0001, and very good luck to you, do seek advice and please do let us know what transpires.

And remember, your name was not attached to this “rogue” meter, as far as anything you know, your energy supplier knew throughout those 3 years of your occupancy, and indeed as far as your landlord ever admitted to knowing.  So, whoever’s name was attached to that meter would appear to carry the burden, regardless of who actually was living there.   

I take your point about your feeling morally obliged to acknowledge that it was in fact you who consumed any electricity that passed through that meter, but I would firstly dispute that (you know nothing about this meter, not even when it was installed or whether its output is timed, or what circuits exactly it measures, or anything about it really), secondly, ask which exact circuits were supplied, thirdly ask for initial and final readings for it, and fourthly be extremely reluctant, extremely reluctant, to admit or offer any liability until you can quantify the situation to your own obviously high standards, and I do respect your very responsible approach.  BUT you don’t want to end up paying twice for the electricity you consumed, or even a portion of the electricity you consumed, once to your energy supplier and once to some mysterious third party…probably the landlord by the sound of things.

Also, were your dealings for the property through a responsible agent of the landlord (an estate agent perhaps?) as both you and possibly the landlord may have recourse there, depending on the specifics of your contract?

All the best…

I think Blastoise186 and others made a reference to Citizens' advice.

At  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-with-your-energy-bill/you-havent-received-a-gas-or-electricity-bill-in-a-while/#:~:text=Under%20back%20billing%20rules%2C%20your,supplier%20can%20still%20charge%20you.

I think in the 5th para it refers to back billing being limited to 12 months under certain circumstances, which hopefully may give you at least some comfort.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I think Blastoise186 and others made a reference to Citizens' advice.

I think in the 5th para it refers to back billing being limited to 12 months under certain circumstances, which hopefully may give you at least some comfort.

Ofgem have a good guide to back billing if it’s needed 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/check-energy-back-billing-rules

Userlevel 7

Hey @Jonathan0001,

Some great advice here from our Community Members,

Have you got the tenancy agreement still?

Userlevel 1

As an update:

The supplier has decided to take responsibility for not issuing a General Meter Account, where multiple meters were in the property as there was a change of tenancy and supplier at that time also. They've said they won't back date any debt. I'm getting second hand information through landlord so cannot get further details. I'm assuming this is not clear policy and falls in the 'too hard' category so they've decided to void the issue and start again.

I think I've been fortunate this time but hopefully the excellent comments and guidance provided by others will be of benefit to someone else.

Thanks again 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thank you so much @Jonathan0001 for letting us know how things panned out…and a good ending by the sound of it! No afters between you and the landlord (or the supplier, come to that), plus you are secure in the knowledge that you always intended to do the right thing by everyone…all the best, and good luck in your new place..