Solved

No adjustment to my Fixed Price- What about the Energy Price Guarantee?

Show first post

195 replies

That advice text does seem rather peculiar. Maybe they meant that your current tariff is less than the EPG tariff ? What rate are you paying at the moment @Spd163 ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Sorry - I should know this but is that a 1 year fixed plan ? @Jeffus is it sensible to change from this to the EPG as it’s only 6 months now ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That advice text does seem rather peculiar. Maybe they meant that your current tariff is less than the EPG tariff ? What rate are you paying at the moment @Spd163 ?

You could get the EPG rates for your area from here as a comparison inc VAT. 

https://switch.ovoenergy.com/

The data you posted above may be ex VAT

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

When is the end date of your tariff @Spd163 ?

By moving to EPG variable you would get 6 months at a reduced rate (or possibly now 5 months if the tariff can’t be backdated), but the remaining months from April onwards would be at whatever the variable rate goes to in April (or a new fixed tariff if available). This will be for at least 3 months, looking at your tariff name, so it’s a bit of a judgement call as to what options will give you the cheapest overall price.

Are standing charges due to reduce in April based on SOLR charges being removed again? I’ve not seen any confirmation on what’s planned (though things can change very quickly even when confirmation is received!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

When is the end date of your tariff @Spd163 ?

By moving to EPG variable you would get 6 months at a reduced rate (or possibly now 5 months if the tariff can’t be backdated), but the remaining months from April onwards would be at whatever the variable rate goes to in April (or a new fixed tariff if available). This will be for at least 3 months, looking at your tariff name, so it’s a bit of a judgement call as to what options will give you the cheapest overall price.

Are standing charges due to reduce in April based on SOLR charges being removed again? I’ve not seen any confirmation on what’s planned (though things can change very quickly even when confirmation is received!)

We will get a bit of an idea about standing charges etc on 24/11/2022 with the next ofgem announcement. 

Ofgem are still going ahead and calculating old ofgem price cap for 1st January. 

The huge expense that may still be loaded onto bills is the cost of Bulb failing. This is the one supplier where costs have yet to be loaded onto bills. This may be over £4 billion unless the government chooses to cover with general taxation... 

Userlevel 7

Hey @PalsyP 

Ok, so, I noticed from TODAY (2nd November) I have been put on the EPG rates, jolly good, but in my account it stated that it should’ve started on the 1st October...… What’s up with that, am I missing something?

You should have been sent a communication about being moved over to the EPG rates, but if you haven’t don’t worry I can confirm you’ll be re-priced and re-billed from the 1st of October. 

@Jeffus I can confirm we’ll be continually monitoring customers who’ve been moved to the EPG from fixed and make sure they aren’t penalized if the prices increase beyond their initial rates in April. We’ll update the Forum when we find out more about this but as you pointed out we’ll have to see what the Government propose to replace EPG. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @PalsyP 

Ok, so, I noticed from TODAY (2nd November) I have been put on the EPG rates, jolly good, but in my account it stated that it should’ve started on the 1st October...… What’s up with that, am I missing something?

You should have been sent a communication about being moved over to the EPG rates, but if you haven’t don’t worry I can confirm you’ll be re-priced and re-billed from the 1st of October. 

@Jeffus I can confirm we’ll be continually monitoring customers who’ve been moved to the EPG from fixed and make sure they aren’t penalized if the prices increase beyond their initial rates in April. We’ll update the Forum when we find out more about this but as you pointed out we’ll have to see what the Government propose to replace EPG. 

@Emmanuelle_OVO Good to know about the rebilling. That will help with other threads i think. Do you know when the rebilling happens? 

Thanks for the update 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Jeffus,

I’ll do some digging and try and confirm if there’s a timeframe.

As far as I'm aware, customers will be advised in either an email or letter, that they’re prices will change in line with the EPG and that they’ll be re-billed. 

I am on a fixed rate foe 2 years but my rates have not altered from the 1st October in line with the temporary government discount. Should they change on billing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If your existing rates are higher than the current OVO variable rate then they should be lowered to the variable rate.

What are your current rates shown on your bill or on the app (standing charges and rate per kWh)?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Same for me, got a bit of a long thread going. 

I was expecting the rates to be discounted by 17p and 4.2p still above the epg on variable even after those discounts but want to stay on the fixed tariff

I was waiting for my bill for October to appear thinking it would get applied then, guessing its not just me then who has been missed on this. 

Charges for October are same as previous months 

Electric economy 7 SC 46.17p

unit rate day 42.45p

unit rate night 32.59

Gas SC 26.18p unit rate 13.34

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don't know how OVO are dealing with economy 7 tariffs but your gas tariff looks higher than the capped rate. I would suggest giving the company a call. They might be able to move you to the variable gas tariff and tell you what is available for economy 7.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Eil and @stead,

Sorry for the issues you’re having.

There is still a small cohort of fixed customers that haven’t yet been changed over to the variable tariff but are over the Energy Price Guarantee

We’ve been advised that these customers will be contacted shortly, your plans will be re-priced and re-billed to the 1st of October. You’ll receive a communication explaining the process.

Hope this helps. 

I'm curious why are OVO trying to pull people off their fix and onto the variable rather than apply the discount to there fix as stated by the government?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I'm curious why are OVO trying to pull people off their fix and onto the variable rather than apply the discount to there fix as stated by the government?

It is a good question.

I suspect it is the easiest or only way to do it with the software platform they have. There was very little time for suppliers to figure out how they would implement the change. 

There was flexibility in the actual instructions given to suppliers. 

We are are on a fixed rate energy scheme for gas and electricity with OVO. Our latest bill (15 Oct-14 Nov) is charging us 19.09p per kWh for gas and 42.82/68.41 per kWh for electricity, but these rates are above the government caps which I believe are 10.31p for gas and 35.06p for electricity.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There’s two likely reasons for this:

1. Your EPG caps are higher than the national averages because you’re in a more expensive area, therefore the 35.06p/10.31p do not apply to you
  2. Your fixed rates aren’t much higher than the EPG caps, so OVO left things as they were due to your edge case

Remember, what others say is their cap doesn’t mean it’s yours. It varies on way more factors than first catch the eye.

Thanks Blastoise186. We’re Eastern region and the EPG caps are ~10p for gas and ~33p for electric, so well below what we’ve been charged.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Neil Davidson,

Were you contacted and informed that your fixed plan was higher than the EPG and we were moving you to Simpler Variable? 

If not, you may be in the small group of customers that still need to be moved. You will be re-priced and re-billed. 

Thanks Emmanuelle_OVO.

No, we were not contacted and told that our fixed plan was above the EPG. In fact we received an email on 4th Oct saying we were on the cheapest possible plan!

I have discovered that even though we agreed to move to a new fixed plan well before the 1st Oct, it came into effect on the 12th Oct and so we fell through the cracks of the automatic sweep and OVO did not tell us.

I phoned OVO yesterday and asked to be moved off the fixed rate and onto the variable (EPG) rate which has been done. But we have paid almost double the EPG rates from 12th Oct to 14th Nov which seems very unfair.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks Emmanuelle_OVO.

No, we were not contacted and told that our fixed plan was above the EPG. In fact we received an email on 4th Oct saying we were on the cheapest possible plan!

I have discovered that even though we agreed to move to a new fixed plan well before the 1st Oct, it came into effect on the 12th Oct and so we fell through the cracks of the automatic sweep and OVO did not tell us.

I phoned OVO yesterday and asked to be moved off the fixed rate and onto the variable (EPG) rate which has been done. But we have paid almost double the EPG rates from 12th Oct to 14th Nov which seems very unfair.

@Emmanuelle_OVO should the previous bills automatically be recalculated now? 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Neil Davidson,

I’m sorry to hear you were missed, but I’m glad this is now sorted. 

This has probably already been raised by Support, but you can request to be manually re-billed at the EPG rates. So you don’t lose out financially.

This is absolutely your right as this is what would have taken place had you been automictically moved onto the EPG. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks Emmanuelle_OVO.

How will I know if this has already been raised by Support?

And if not, how can I request to be manually re-billed? Do I have to phone up? (When previously phoning I have twice selected the option to be contacted via WhatsApp but nothing ever happened).

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Phoning in is probably best for this one. Verbal confirmation may be required.