Solved

No adjustment to my Fixed Price- What about the Energy Price Guarantee?

Show first post

195 replies

Hey @PalsyP,

It sounds like you may have been moved to the Energy Price Guarantee if your rates were significantly higher. That would be why your rate has reduced. You should have received a communication about this, if you haven’t you can contact Support to confirm.

But my rate hasn’t changed, still on 47.nnp/U (according to my smart meter) so this is why I queried it - hey, I wished it was 35p….. So, the email is wrong?

Even queried it on live help, but I was fobbed off….

Userlevel 7

Hey @PalsyP,

What does the rate say under ‘my plan’ on your Online Account?

If it’s wrong on your IHD but correct on your account and statements, it might not have updated yet, you can contact Support and ask for a tariff configuration. 

Hey ​​

Account: 45.63p 

Meter: 47.91p

Why is it different?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey ​​

Account: 45.63p 

Meter: 47.91p

Why is it different?

@PalsyP

Costs on smart meter and IHD include VAT at 5%. This is the same for all suppliers. 

On the plan page on the ovo website and app the costs exclude vat

On the usage page on the ovo website and app the costs exclude vat

OK? 

Still, doesn’t answer the fact the email said my plan was 35.05p/kwh… I mean, the email could’ve stated “the plan you’re on now is” instead of “your current plan is”….. 47.91p and 35.05p is a lot of difference...

Userlevel 7

Hey @PalsyP,

That is unusual, I’d contact Support to confirm your rates. If the Energy Price Guarantee is lower than your current fixed plan, they can move you over without incurring any exit fees. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Still, doesn’t answer the fact the email said my plan was 35.05p/kwh… I mean, the email could’ve stated “the plan you’re on now is” instead of “your current plan is”….. 47.91p and 35.05p is a lot of difference...

Hi @PalsyP what rate do you see on your bill in the current billing period?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-details

Here is mine for example. Could you post a screen shot of what you see? 

Also ask the OVO to issue the SMETS command Update Tariff Configuration. This should refresh the tariff on your smart meter and In Home Display.

The rates you see on the smart meter and In Home Display are for information only. This is the same for all suppliers. Similar issues happen from time to time with all suppliers, although it is rare. 

Always check your actual bill to see what rates you are being charged for any specific date range. 

Here is my plan page. Could you post a screen shot of what you see? 

Hope that helps

My 2yr Fix’n Protect Plan is just £170 (based on my actual usage) dearer pa. than the Govt EPG which now ends in April 2023, when prices are likely to rise.

My plan rates/bills haven’t been dropped as yet to EPG unit rates or standing charges from 1st October. 
As I am not expecting to benefit from any targeted help from April ‘23, how can I ensure OVO sounds me out before altering my Account anytime soon thus losing the advantage my plan offers to August 2024.

Not sure about the OVO Simpler Energy Plan , as not keen on having a Smart Meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Personally, if you’ve got a deal until August 2024, I’d leave it alone. You’re probably in that edge case bracket where the savings are too low to justify.

It’s also worth noting that the £2,500 thing is an average. It doesn’t apply to everyone.

Userlevel 3

I was on a fixed contract (expiring June 2024) which was a bit more expensive than EPG, so because of this (and the endless guidance saying they would/should adjust the unit rates down to EPG from 1st Oct), and the fact my IHD showed even more expensive rates not matching my account in the app, I raised a complaint.

They have responded and now put me on “Simpler Energy” which matches what I expect for EPG, but I didn’t ask them to end my contract, only to implement the rate adjustment. 
Not sure if this is how it was supposed to work, as I would probably prefer to be back on my 2 year contract next year when EPG ends in its current form.

I’ve asked them why they took me out of a fixed contract, as that is not what I particularly wanted! Especially if they don’t reinstate it next year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It sounds like OVO did as you requested by moving you to Simpler Energy. Your rates on the fix deal probably already had been adjusted to as low as they could go.

I’m afraid your fix deal is probably toast now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

My 2yr Fix’n Protect Plan is just £170 (based on my actual usage) dearer pa. than the Govt EPG which now ends in April 2023, when prices are likely to rise.

My plan rates/bills haven’t been dropped as yet to EPG unit rates or standing charges from 1st October. 
As I am not expecting to benefit from any targeted help from April ‘23, how can I ensure OVO sounds me out before altering my Account anytime soon thus losing the advantage my plan offers to August 2024.

Not sure about the OVO Simpler Energy Plan , as not keen on having a Smart Meter

@Graceland just to get some idea of magnitude, what is your Future Annual Consumption on the ovo website, not the app.

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

You may already know this, these are the ovo estimates of how much you will use in a year and the figures ovo use in calculations. 

Thanks, 

1951 KWh for Electricity & Gas 11520 Kwh

Why are my standing charges higher than the government cap?   I am a dual fuel customer, on standard variable rate paying by direct debit 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Sophie2802

You may already know this. The standing charges vary by region. 

So if you spot a single standing charge in a press article it will be an average number. 

You may pay more or less depending on where you live

Does that help at all? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I was on a fixed contract (expiring June 2024) which was a bit more expensive than EPG, so because of this (and the endless guidance saying they would/should adjust the unit rates down to EPG from 1st Oct), and the fact my IHD showed even more expensive rates not matching my account in the app, I raised a complaint.

They have responded and now put me on “Simpler Energy” which matches what I expect for EPG, but I didn’t ask them to end my contract, only to implement the rate adjustment. 
Not sure if this is how it was supposed to work, as I would probably prefer to be back on my 2 year contract next year when EPG ends in its current form.

I’ve asked them why they took me out of a fixed contract, as that is not what I particularly wanted! Especially if they don’t reinstate it next year.

Hi

You can ask to be moved back

Hello, 

I have been advised to ask on here after being told by OVO that I'm not eligible for the government price gaurentee due to fact my annual spend does not exceed £2500 

Now this doesn't seem to match what the government website says or even what the ovo site says.

Can anyone clarify, my understanding would be a discount inline with the discount from cap to EPG would be made to all?

Ok, so, I noticed from TODAY (2nd November) I have been put on the EPG rates, jolly good, but in my account it stated that it should’ve started on the 1st October...… What’s up with that, am I missing something?

Userlevel 3

@Jeffus @Blastoise186 @Tim_OVO  I just had an email from OVO confirming that I will be able to switch back to my fixed tariff next year if I want.

Good news to have that option depending on how things evolve next April

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jeffus @Blastoise186 @Tim_OVO  I just had an email from OVO confirming that I will be able to switch back to my fixed tariff next year if I want.

Good news to have that option depending on how things evolve next April

@croninsfc 

Did they say you have until end March or end April? 

Userlevel 3

@Jeffus they didn’t really say exactly, quote from email below…

I was getting clarification from someone, the Government will make an accountment next year probably before March regarding what the prices will be from April.

What that basically means is once an announcement is made regarding prices for April 2023, if you want to get put back on the Better Energy Plan that was cancelled on 30/09/2022 you are eligible to go back on that tariff due to it only starting in June 2022 at the rates above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jeffus they didn’t really say exactly, quote from email below…

I was getting clarification from someone, the Government will make an accountment next year probably before March regarding what the prices will be from April.

What that basically means is once an announcement is made regarding prices for April 2023, if you want to get put back on the Better Energy Plan that was cancelled on 30/09/2022 you are eligible to go back on that tariff due to it only starting in June 2022 at the rates above.

Ofgem are scheduled to announce the 1st April regular price cap on the 27th February 2023. This is then passed onto the energy suppliers like OVO. 

So realistically the government may have to announce something before the 27th Feb

I only asked as OVO say you have until End March to decide if you initially chose to come off the fixed rate

Or end April if OVO automatically took you off the price cap. 

See the screen shots above. 

Just make sure you don't get caught out next year. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I had a less than helpful experience with chat, am waiting for my bill to finalise before contacting customer service as so far I’ve had no communication with what is happening.

I’m just hoping the EPG rates get applied to the final bill... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That advice text does seem rather peculiar. Maybe they meant that your current tariff is less than the EPG tariff ? What rate are you paying at the moment @Spd163 ?

Userlevel 7

The government isn’t placing a cap on bills, it’s a cap on prices. That comment seems ignorant. From the ofgem site, these are only the reasons why the cap might not apply

taken from https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/check-if-energy-price-cap-affects-you