Solved

No adjustment to my Fixed Price- What about the Energy Price Guarantee?

Show first post

195 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @Amthomas,

Sorry to hear this.

You can ask for your rates to be backdated from the 3rd of October. I’m unsure how they renewed the contract as we’re only offering variable contracts currently. It sounds like it may be a tech issue. 

You’ve contacted the team already so I'd advise waiting for it to be sorted. Once your rates are updated you’ll be able to see them on your Online Account

Userlevel 4

I did that with online chat and they changed me over from my fix. 

Userlevel 1

An Update

Just letting you know that I am still waiting to hear from OVO although I was promised this by last Thursday (13 Oct). 

They told me that their Complaints Department have to respond within 48 hours and that was last Thursday!

I am still being charged at the higher Fixed tariff rates which no doubt suits OVO but not me and I would have thought is against the EPG rules?

Reminded their Complaints Department on Thursday.

Will keep on at them until I get a satisfactory response and will post any updates to help other users in the same position as me.

Thanks. Yes in same position here. Can’t get hold of them though as I can’t wait hours to speak to someone! They must be breaking rules/the law! They will have to backdate bills surely? 

Userlevel 1

Hi amandap 

I have been using emails rather than holding on phone and you have a record of the discussions. I agree they should backdate savings - watch this space!!

Can you post any updates on your situation please so we can keep an eye on OVO.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The most it’d be backdated would be to the 1st October. But tbh I’d recommend just being more patient. Figuring this stuff out takes time and it’s definitely not an instant process.

After a number of unsatisfactory contacts with Ovo regarding whether or not we should move to the standard variable rate from our fixed rate, where I'd been cut off, yelled at because the Ovo advisor couldn't hear me, told to wait & they'd contact us etc etc, I finally got to speak to someone a few days ago. This person quoted some figures to me, but said that the standard variable rate could change as Ofgem are reviewing in 3 & 6 mths.

I queried the info given, as I had thought the government had guaranteed the energy price for 2 years, so it could not increase after 3 months. However, the lady I spoke to reiterated that it could be increased by Ofgem after 3, and again after 6, months.

The prices she gave us for the standard variable rate were very marginally less than our current fixed rate, but the standing charges were higher than our current ones. As it was impossible to work out in our heads, while on the phone, the effect these amendments would have to our account, and with the threat of it all being increased in 3 and again 6 months anyway, we decided to stay on our fixed rate. 

We really are not sure that this is the right thing to do, but felt that the threat of further increases would make the situation too uncertain. Is it correct that Ofgem will be reviewing/increasing prices in 3 & 6 months time, or is it, as I believe, that we have been given incorrect information by this Ovo advisor?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO was correct. The Energy Price Guarantee locks unit rates but not standing charges. Ofgem is still reviewing standing charges every three months and adjusting the caps on them based on the usual factors.

In your case, OVO probably calculated that your best bet is to stick with the fixed rate deal, since you’re unlikely to benefit from being moved to SVT. You can still do that if you really want to, but I’d probably agree with OVO and recommend staying put.

It was the unit rate that she said could increase. I was under the impression that this had been set for 2 years. 

She did not advise either way, said we could decide. As I said, it's quite difficult for two 70+ pensioners, albeit still pretty savvy, to make a decision when figures are given in a phone conversation. An email would have given us more time to give it proper consideration.

How difficult is it to change the tariff from 37 to 34 p/kw?? As others have said, when they need to put it up it’s instantaneous….

baz999 how do you email them please? I can’t find details. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’re probably right on the edge case where there’s no benefit. It’s also worth noting that if you’re in a more expensive area, EPG will be higher for you to allow for it.

Also, price increases are never instant. You always get at least 10 days notice.

Userlevel 4

I had my fix changed last week to variable epg. I used the web chat . And is quite involved as have to change the tariff rates and standing charges. So half my bill is at old rates. And rest at new rates. And has now been reset to zero. And I only have charges for last few days….I don’t know why? I guess will all sort itself out when I get a bill in a few days time.

Userlevel 3

This morning’s announcement has thrown another spanner in the works.

EPG to end next April.

Maybe my fixed deal until 2024 was a good call after all (even better if they can sort my unit rates from 1st Oct until then) - assuming existing fixed deals will remain despite yet another government policy change!

Userlevel 3

Just been onto web chat to find out…

1. what is going on with my unit rate 
  2. why is my electricity meter not sending electricity reading’s through to them

what a painful process, repeating stuff that has been done in the past and when my meter has been working fine! Why not look up on their system the history of previous issues (which were resolved at the time) instead of repeating the same script of questions regardless!

No wonder the help desk is always so busy! Busy asking pointless questions that they should already know the answer to!

oh and then the chat stops feeding back the answers to the questions that the chat person has just asked, so I have no idea if all the answers were even submitted.

Waste of everyone’s time.

is this what our ridiculously high standing charges are for? Employing people doing pointless jobs?

Userlevel 7

Hi @MrsSB I agree it’s a bit confusing and tricky sometimes. It sounds like your fixed rates are about the same as the variable rates when combined with the energy price guarantee. Working out the exact difference is tricky if the standing charge of one is higher and the unit of the other is higher. See our guide to the energy price guarantee (EPG), here

By the sounds of it, there won’t be much difference either way, and when the fixed tariff comes to an end, it will be the best option to roll onto the variable rate combined with the EPG. You’re able to request to be moved to the variable at any time without exit fees. Do this with our Support team.

Hi @MrsSB I agree it’s a bit confusing and tricky sometimes. It sounds like your fixed rates are about the same as the variable rates when combined with the energy price guarantee. Working out the exact difference is tricky if the standing charge of one is higher and the unit of the other is higher. See our guide to the energy price guarantee (EPG), here

By the sounds of it, there won’t be much difference either way, and when the fixed tariff comes to an end, it will be the best option to roll onto the variable rate combined with the EPG. You’re able to request to be moved to the variable at any time without exit fees. Do this with our Support team.

Thank you. As there is very little difference, and it now appears it will increase in 6 months time anyway, we're quite pleased to stay on our fixed rate til it ends in June 2024. Sounds like if you're not on benefits any help will end next April anyway, so we'll stay as we are. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Corgimajor,

Did you get through to customer support? Is this now sorted?

@Electric_Twit, sorry for the issues you’re having. If you haven’t been contacted by OVO but are sure your rates are higher than the Simpler Variable Tariff I'd advise contacting Support. They’ll be able to confirm the rates in your region and if they are indeed lower than your current rates. If your on a fixed tariff you can choose to go onto the variable without incurring exit fees.

If your prices are higher than the Energy Price Guarantee this’ll happen automictically but if this is causing you concern contact Support directly. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

At this point though, moving to the EPG rates might not be in your best interests, since there’s reports that it’ll now only last until April 2023.

If your fix deal goes on beyond that and is only slightly more expensive, then I would strongly recommend keeping the fix deal!

Userlevel 3

At this point though, moving to the EPG rates might not be in your best interests, since there’s reports that it’ll now only last until April 2023.

If your fix deal goes on beyond that and is only slightly more expensive, then I would strongly recommend keeping the fix deal!

Yep I’m staying put, regardless of whether they do get around to adjusting my fixed rates in line with current EPG.

Also had a very helpful call from the OVO service desk after my web chat connection dropped half way through the smart meter health check questions to finish off the remaining questions to troubleshoot why my meter stopped sending readings!

No quick answer to that other than it might just start working again of it’s own accord (as has been mentioned on the forum many times), but they are going to try and force request a reading from the meter, failing that, 17 days before an engineer will come out I believe they said!

If only I could just switch it off and back on again. A good old reboot usually solves most things 🤔

I fixed in August for 2 years and my tariff’s and standing charges are higher than the Energy Price Guarantee charges. We pay by direct debit and average usage is less than £2500 so will my tarriff’s and standing charges be dropped as they not been yet.

Userlevel 1

Just had email from OVO which lays out in detail my options and costs associated with the optional tariffs.

I will be staying on my Fixed rate as it will be as cheap as Variable tariff from 1 October until 30 April 2023 (EPG rates) and then will carry on at the same fixed rate as pre October until the end of my 2 year Fix unless there are any further Government changes!

Anyway, thank you OVO for doing the right thing. I had been sceptical but credit where credits due,  Well done.

I had the same thought, I’m on 47p/U electric but this email states my current plan is 35.05p/U…… Very misleading.

Userlevel 7

Hey @PalsyP,

Could that mean the Variable Plan is 35.05p and you’ve been moved to it, so it’s now your ‘current plan’?

Hey @PalsyP,

Could that mean the Variable Plan is 35.05p and you’ve been moved to it, so it’s now your ‘current plan’?

No, the 35.05p stated that is my current plan (Better Energy)

I appreciate I’m probably way under the cap but……

Userlevel 7

Hey @PalsyP,

It sounds like you may have been moved to the Energy Price Guarantee if your rates were significantly higher. That would be why your rate has reduced. You should have received a communication about this, if you haven’t you can contact Support to confirm.