Solved

No adjustment to my Fixed Price- What about the Energy Price Guarantee?

Show first post

195 replies

Userlevel 4

Thanks Emmanuelle the advisor explained everything clearly .And all sorted within the next 24/48 hours.  I must just say I find your customer service very good. And have never had any issues getting problems resolved. Thanks again.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Emmanuelle, I agree, but being retired with far too much time on my hands I have a spreadsheet where I can, as they say, run the numbers. As I say above, it ended up only 2.57% cheaper based on my predicted usage following the Solar install. I was just puzzled as to why it was not backdated to 1 October. He was gone a long time so I assume he was consulting with someone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Jeffus, I hope this answers your question. Ignoring my recent Solar install my planning was based on 13,000 Gas and 4,000 Electric which cost me £268 per month.

Using the EPG tariff 12,000 and 2,900 is circa £218 versus £224 using my old Fix.

The estimated figures on my Plan are 10,395 and 2,456 and work out at circa £190 on EPG and £195 on my Fix.

In each case the EPG tariff is 2.7%(ish) cheaper. Factoring in the saving from the Solar the EPG is still 2.57% based on my new Electric usage of 1,771kW.

To be fair to Ovo I have only been a customer since late June 22 so they have little data to base a predicted usage on. I think part of the problem is that they have literally dozens of legacy tariffs to compare, then again surely that is what a computer is for!

Did I mention, I love my Excel spreadsheet! For those wanting to do some estimating or recording usage there are several Open Source (aka Free) spreadsheets as good as Excel to download.

I was just curious about the process ovo are using to decide who to take off the fixed rates. But there isn't a big difference on savings based on usage as expected. 

Userlevel 1

I have run my figures through a spreadsheet and come up with the following:

Calculation of savings on EPG All VAT Exclusive
​​​​​

OVO reckoned my Fixed Price 2 year is cheaper than their Variable Tariff?? The above figures show that the Variable is cheaper by 9.76% !

Just spoken to them on phone and given them the figures. They are promising to transfer me to the variable tariff with NO exit Fees.

Will let you know  when it is confirmed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Electric_Twit and @baz999 we need you here to work out all these customer’s price queries !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I have run my figures through a spreadsheet and come up with the following:

Calculation of savings on EPG All VAT Exclusive
​​​​​

OVO reckoned my Fixed Price 2 year is cheaper than their Variable Tariff?? The above figures show that the Variable is cheaper by 9.76% !

Just spoken to them on phone and given them the figures. They are promising to transfer me to the variable tariff with NO exit Fees.

Will let you know  when it is confirmed.

That is a shame you were given that advice, that is a big difference compared to another recent example. 

Keep an eye on your plan page to make sure the rates change

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

You should also see the rates flip in your bill once it has gone through, something like this. 

If i were you I would submit a complaint and ask them to compensate you for the amount since 1st Oct but only once you see the change go through. You have all the info so you might as well let the complaint process flow for the 8 weeks with a simple cut/paste of the info. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Electric_Twit and @baz999 we need you here to work out all these customer’s price queries !!

It is a lot easier to check now we can see all the Regional Energy Price Guarantee  rates on the SSE website.

These rates, along with the Future Annual Consumption numbers on the plan page now mean we can easily check.

Just need to be careful with the inc vat and ex vat info. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I spoke (or typed) too soon Yesterday.

Ovo *Edited by Mod* again!

Having received emails with my revised Gas and Electric tariffs I thought I would check on the My Plan page. The tariffs on the page were different, the good news lower, but different. I then checked my IHD to see what was loaded on the smart meter. The summary is below:

All charges are shown inclusive of VAT in line with the smart meter. So the email they sent was wrong. Onto the chat bot and hey presto, apologies for sending the emails and the My Plan page is correct, so I am actually saving 7.2% on my old fix.

Oh, I say, why did you update only the standing charge and not the unit rate for Gas on the smart meter? I then got the usual carp (sorry that’s a typo) about wait and it will update in due course and would I like to call them to discuss the matter. Also do not worry your bills will be at the correct tariff. My point that having an IHD was supposed to help monitor usage and cost and if it was incorrect it had little utility fell on deaf ears.

A message to Ovo:

“Dear Ovo, your customer service staff would be less busy if you trained them properly and stopped trotting out nonsense. They are unfailingly polite and patient but appear to be not competent at the job they do. I was given the same tripe about my smart meter updating when I joined and it took 6 weeks for someone to sort the problem overnight!”

I will give it 48hrs for the smart meter to sort itself then I am launching a formal complaint, my patience exhausted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I spoke (or typed) too soon Yesterday.

Ovo *Edited by Mod* again!

Having received emails with my revised Gas and Electric tariffs I thought I would check on the My Plan page. The tariffs on the page were different, the good news lower, but different. I then checked my IHD to see what was loaded on the smart meter. The summary is below:

All charges are shown inclusive of VAT in line with the smart meter. So the email they sent was wrong. Onto the chat bot and hey presto, apologies for sending the emails and the My Plan page is correct, so I am actually saving 7.2% on my old fix.

Oh, I say, why did you update only the standing charge and not the unit rate for Gas on the smart meter? I then got the usual carp (sorry that’s a typo) about wait and it will update in due course and would I like to call them to discuss the matter. Also do not worry your bills will be at the correct tariff. My point that having an IHD was supposed to help monitor usage and cost and if it was incorrect it had little utility fell on deaf ears.

A message to Ovo:

“Dear Ovo, your customer service staff would be less busy if you trained them properly and stopped trotting out nonsense. They are unfailingly polite and patient but appear to be not competent at the job they do. I was given the same tripe about my smart meter updating when I joined and it took 6 weeks for someone to sort the problem overnight!”

I will give it 48hrs for the smart meter to sort itself then I am launching a formal complaint, my patience exhausted.

I would be curious to know how the OVO Energy Price Guarantee rates compare to the rates you have been given on the plan page. The OVO EPG rates are exactly the same as the SSE rates. Luckily you can get the SSE rates off the SSE website. It is just the standard variable rate on the SSE website. These are inc VAT unlike the rates on the OVO plan page so just be careful. 

https://products.sse.co.uk/our-prices/enter-postcode

This is a good check for anyone given the OVO Energy Price Guarantee rates over the phone

If the rates don't correct themselves on the smart meter/IHD in a couple of weeks or so, ask the Support Team to issue the SMETS command Update Tariff Configuration

This should refresh the data

Userlevel 7

Hi @Electric_Twit and thanks for this update. 

On this occasion, our Support team are giving you correct advice. The smart meter and the In Home Display (IHD) that links up to it will need a tariff update that can take some time to show. The prices via your online account are key and if these aren’t correct, would justify contact to our Support team. Here’s the link for anyone else unsure:

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Tim, with respect, read my post.

First, I was given duff information by email and sought clarification when the My Plan page differed from the data contained in the email. I was assured the My Plan page was correct. This tallied with most of the tariffs shown on my IHD. The smart meter had been updated for Electric standing charge and unit tariff and Gas standing charge inline with the My Plan page.

Second, I queried why the single piece of data on my Gas smart meter, unit price had not been updated when the standing charge had been updated and the “wait patiently” line was spun. I had 6 weeks of “gaslighting” (pun intended) when I joined Ovo about smart meter updates. The Gas meter tariffs were wrong. First it was my fault, then unplug the IHD and sit it next to the meter, your meter is not on the HAN (it was), your meter was not commissioned properly (it had been according to Shell Energy, People’s Energy and British Gas) and then you wanted to send an engineer, then low and behold, when I admit to losing my temper in response to the umpteenth email on the subject …… “sorry it has taken so long to resolve this” and the tariff was corrected.

I have researched this long and hard and it is down to Ovo.

If this is not resolved in 48 hours I am lodging a formal complaint.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Tim, with respect, read my post.

First, I was given duff information by email and sought clarification when the My Plan page differed from the data contained in the email. I was assured the My Plan page was correct. This tallied with most of the tariffs shown on my IHD. The smart meter had been updated for Electric standing charge and unit tariff and Gas standing charge inline with the My Plan page.

Second, I queried why the single piece of data on my Gas smart meter, unit price had not been updated when the standing charge had been updated and the “wait patiently” line was spun. I had 6 weeks of “gaslighting” (pun intended) when I joined Ovo about smart meter updates. The Gas meter tariffs were wrong. First it was my fault, then unplug the IHD and sit it next to the meter, your meter is not on the HAN (it was), your meter was not commissioned properly (it had been according to Shell Energy, People’s Energy and British Gas) and then you wanted to send an engineer, then low and behold, when I admit to losing my temper in response to the umpteenth email on the subject …… “sorry it has taken so long to resolve this” and the tariff was corrected.

I have researched this long and hard and it is down to Ovo.

If this is not resolved in 48 hours I am lodging a formal complaint.

Hi @Electric_Twit 

Is your outstanding issue the gas tariff displaying on your IHD/Smart meter?

Is there anything else left to resolve?

Just curious. 

I’ve moved from SSE to Ovo , I have been on a fixed tariff since July 2022  and was assured that the rates that I pay for my electricity would go down from October the 1st . . .they haven’t !  I need this sorting quickly as I’m clearly paying too much but can’t get any sense from anybody . Why does this have to be so complicated .   Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated . Tia 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Jeffus, it is probably the whole shambles. I consider myself pretty switched on and able to deal with problems. At the risk of sounding patronising, what if I was someone who was less able to cope, who fell for the line Ovo are inclined to spin. For example, my fix being the best tariff when it was not. Telling customers they will be in touch over the coming weeks when I was told they could only implement my new tariff from the day after I called them. I thought this was all covered from 1 Oct 22 (maybe more of that in my complaint). It seems that if you are on a Fix you should call them, how many are sitting back thinking I will hear in good time? Someone on the forum even suggested chilling and waiting, glad I did not.

Oh and yes, the gas unit tariff on my smart meter is like a replay of the rowlocks (damn another typo) I was fed when I joined. Technologically it is a doddle to enact, but it took them 6 weeks of emails and phone calls to sort it seeming always to deflect the blame.

Rant over! Do you get the sense I abhor poor customer service? I will however stress that the individuals have always been polite and patient, I just wonder what script they are being required to read.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

First of all: can you see if your future annual consumption on your OVO bill is similar to that on your last SSE bill. If they’re very different that might explain high costs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Jeffus, it is probably the whole shambles. I consider myself pretty switched on and able to deal with problems. At the risk of sounding patronising, what if I was someone who was less able to cope, who fell for the line Ovo are inclined to spin. For example, my fix being the best tariff when it was not. Telling customers they will be in touch over the coming weeks when I was told they could only implement my new tariff from the day after I called them. I thought this was all covered from 1 Oct 22 (maybe more of that in my complaint). It seems that if you are on a Fix you should call them, how many are sitting back thinking I will hear in good time? Someone on the forum even suggested chilling and waiting, glad I did not.

Oh and yes, the gas unit tariff on my smart meter is like a replay of the rowlocks (damn another typo) I was fed when I joined. Technologically it is a doddle to enact, but it took them 6 weeks of emails and phone calls to sort it seeming always to deflect the blame.

Rant over! Do you get the sense I abhor poor customer service? I will however stress that the individuals have always been polite and patient, I just wonder what script they are being required to read.

I think it is often good to rant, better to vent frustration generally than keep it bottled up. That is never good.

Keeping tariff on smart meters and IHD is unfortunately a standard issue with all suppliers at the best of times. I wish i could say that keeping the tariff up to date worked every time, but unfortunately it just doesn't, just one of the challenges with the smart meter network generally rather than suppliers. In my experience given your electricity tariff updated but your gas did not, it is likely a short term issue nothing to do with OVO. Of course you are the customer, so at the end of the day you don't care. OVO can't see the smart meter hasn't updated unless you keep telling them, then they can issue the SMETS command Update Tariff Configuration to see if that fixes the issue. The smart meter network is very good but has it's not so good moments unfortunately… It may take more than 48hrs from when OVO send the command, it may be quicker. 

This isn't trying to make excuses, OVO are not perfect, i am only posting in case it helps. 

Always good to post in case someone might be able to provide some useful info. You can always choose to ignore it obvious 😊

I do know the OVO moderators on the forum regularly feedback to the Support Team so your information on switching from a fixed tariff to the variable tariff is very useful and i am sure will definitely help. 

I am today still paying way above EPG. Ovo still not resolved and keep moving goal

posts.

I submitted a complaint for this to be looked at on 3rd October. I was told it could take up to 5 working days to resolve which was Friday 7th. I called yesterday again for an update and the customer service rep was beyond rude, called me a liar said I’d had a call back on Friday 7th, which I hadn’t I’d called them chasing a resolution after not receiving a call. I was then dealt with very agressively by this rep who said it takes 10 working days and I wouldn’t hear before 17th October. 
she gave no consideration to the fact I am worried about these rates and this not being resolved. Being on heating oil which is costing £500 a month its a worry when your electricity is currently costing approx. £240 o tip. Who can honestly afford £740 a month in utilities. I have explained this to ovo and that I am receiving little too no help for heating oil (a £100 apparently with no idea of when) so I would just like to have the fair and correct rates applied to my electric. They have incorrectly renewed my account in error to charge me 50.06 kWp with 51.26 std charge. It’s so worrying heading to the next payment where they will request an increase in my direct debit again due to the wrong rates. My account is already in credit.

what happened to customer service where they listened and empathised. 10 working days to deal with a complaint ? Then how do I trust it will be dealt with and they won’t  move the goal posts again and tell me it’s now 15 working days? 

This is causing daily anxiety. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Amthomas,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, that sounds like a stressful situation to be in.

If you contact Support through web messenger you can request to move to the Simpler Variable Plan without incurring any exit fees.

Hope this helps. 

Well I still haven’t been moved over and now they want to increase my direct debit!!! Been waiting for live chat for half hour and only moved down from 230 to 227 in queue!

Hi I am on a 2 yr fixed and protect, started 10th October 22, my query is my plan is alot more than the price cap. I'm paying 59.95 per kwh electricity and gas is 16.94 per kwh.  

I thought the maximum I could be charged was 34 per kwh electricity and gas 10 per kwh.   

Will ovo reduce my costs?  I had an email telling me to up my DD no other correspondence from them?!?   

I have requested to move to standard variable on 3rd October however they made an error and renewed my current contract. As of today 14th October I am being told I have to wait for someone to look into this. ? My new bill is approaching and I can’t afford the rates they are going to calculate this on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Samcp 

This is a bit of a strange one.

As far as I am aware, the government's Energy Price Guarantee discount does not apply to new fixed term tariffs agreed after October 1, both for new customers and existing customers renewing. So your rates are probably correct.

Even if the EPG discount did apply, your rates would still be above the EPG. If the fixed tariff was taken out before October then you would be able to move to the SVT with no exit fees.

The question is, how, when and by who was this tariff arranged, and were you not advised that the variable tariff would be the better option? If you can give this information we here may be able to give you more guidance.

Hi I agreed to my new tariff before the announcement of the price cap. 

I was advised the tariff I'm now on was the best at the time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Your best option is likely to be to transfer to the SVT. OVO will likely be in touch with your options, but it may be worth contacting support just in case you have fallen through the cracks due to your tariff starting after October 1.

Thankyou I will try again via online chat with ovo.