Solved

My online account daily usage section hasn't updated but I have smart meters - what is issue?

Show first post

128 replies

Waited in the web chat making sure I don’t loose connection or go off page down from 31 in the queue to 3rd,stays like that for 20mins and cuts me off 😡

Userlevel 7

So sorry, @Elphaba - must’ve been very frustrating. I can pass this on directly to the owner of the web chat tool - what appeared on your chat box when you were third? Was there a message? 

Hey @Wouster ,

Happy New Year! Your name actually reminded me of the @Wouter account that has a very unique purpose here. Let’s just say that this forum couldn’t exist without it. :)

Usually the data is collected sometime between midnight and 7am each day and your account should get updated within a few minutes. If comms are struggling, it might be attempted later in the day.

Could you show me some photos please? I might be able to help with diagnostics.

Funnily enough, Wouter is my proper first name

what kind of photos would help? Guessing screen shots from the app/website during the day?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, and also the meters just in case :)

Fore some reason on my on line account the daily usage charges have stopped showing for both gas and electric so I cannot compare from one day to the next. I have smart meters. I did contact OVO and after a fairly lengthy discussion on the chat line when their representative unfortunately found it difficult to understand the problem I was informed it must be a technical problem and it would be passed on. Still not working. I am on a fixed charge until March 2023 so it cannot be anything to do with price variation. I do have a separate display unit but have chosen not to use this. Any one had this problem or any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Are your meter readings showing ok? and if so are they smart, estimated or manual?

Cheers. Meter readings are fine. Smart meters for both gas and electric. On line account is correctly showing daily energy use but not daily charges. If I go into billing it is showing up to date charges and changes daily.

In the past it has shown daily charges but for some reason stopped a few weeks ago. Nothing shown for this month.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for flagging this, @Fireblade999. The fact that your meters are able to send readings to your online account is interesting. Perhaps intra-day usage data is an issue. You might consider completing this health check form to spot an issue:

Another trick is to download a free, third party usage app: a) they’re great and use the same smart meter data that OVO gets sent. b) it would be interesting to see if you’re able to get daily usage on this app, which would indicate it’s an OVO-side issue. 

See the third party apps available here:

Thank you Tim for your response. It is not the daily usage that is incorrect. Both meters are working correctly. It is when I go to my on line account and request the daily usage cost that I am not getting the information. When I do ask for this I get the message “Looks like we couldn’t find some of your usage data” which is incorrect because all of that data is showing correctly. It is just the  daily cost of the energy that is no longer available. I am on a fixed price contract so it has nothing to do with price fluctuations.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for clarifying that, @Fireblade999 - it does sound like something happening behind the scenes then, rather than a smart meter issue. Can I recommend you leave this for a week to see if it remains missing, and then flagging to our Support team here

My smart meter is working and updating but my usage online is now showing for electricity 2 days behind and gas 3 days - is there a problem for other people or just us? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The meters occasionally lose their connection to the main data link @Debbiedoo58. They should reconnect again but if you monitor them you can give manual readings after a few days if necessary 

The smart meter is working fine - the problem is that OVO are not updating online on a daily basis, electricity is 2 days behind and gas 3 days but on the billing part it is updating the standing charge daily - also the energy summary is showing a different amount to the billing amount. Not sure what to believe at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The meter may be working at your end but not connecting to the main system. It’s worth keeping a watch to check. 
You can also monitor the meter readings so that you know what’s happening daily (or as frequently as you need)

Userlevel 7
Badge

My smart meter is working and updating but my usage online is now showing for electricity 2 days behind and gas 3 days - is there a problem for other people or just us? 

I’m in a similar situation: no readings recorded since the weekend and billing stalled except for the unremitting rise in standing charges, usage data updated a bit with (wildly inaccurate) guesses:

I have a 2016-vintage SMETS1 meter which ‘they’ have tried on several occasions to ‘adopt and enrol’ on to the DCC system, and I suspect that these anomalies in the online account result from yet another attempt. Is yours also a SMETS1 meter yet to be E&A’d? This tool will tell you: https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk  

Userlevel 7
Badge

I’m in a similar situation: no readings recorded since the weekend and billing stalled except for the unremitting rise in standing charges, usage data updated a bit with (wildly inaccurate) guesses:

And a PS: this (Saturday) evening, my online account was miraculously brought up to date, with readings, usage data and billing just as they should be. There’s still no sign of my meter on the DCC, system though, so I’m afraid that if a migration attempt was the cause of this hiatus, it looks like it failed again 😢 - but I’ll have another look on Monday. 

My account has now updated but I am a bit concerned as I used a lot of gas kWh (over 4) at 3am when the heating was programmed to come on when the temperature dropped below 15 degrees and I did not use any gas at that time going back to Feb 1st - very strange results at the moment! I am also being told that I used a small amount for cooking which is impossible as I have all electric appliances and only use gas for heating and hot water!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It’s worth looking to see if any of that is estimated (can happen if signal is low). Also don’t put too much faith on the ‘analysis’ section

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Debbiedoo58 ditto about impossible usage categories. Apparently most of my gas is used by my ‘water heater’ but I only have a gas hob. 

I just became OVO customer. 

I wanted to check my usage, but was confused.

First, I selected Usage - Month page - everything is good !

then I went to day usage page and …

How it is possible ? There are Month data , but there are no Day data ?

Ok… but if there are Month data with each day usage from 1 to 15th February, in month report  must be reading for each this day ? Is not it ? (maybe day report has vacation today ).

But on the reading page there is nothing !

Ok, bring more heat - I tried to send manual reading - Nothing with OOPS….

Today is not my day ?  Or OVO online platform never work correctly ?

Do I need to check my meter ? And how can  I do this ?

My Landis Gyr E470 - show that cell network is OK,  maybe I should check something else ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Denys A. there are a few things to check. The graph may still be estimated readings although when you say ‘just became’ an OVO customer, I’m not sure from which day. 
On your meter readings page, it looks like the meter serial number is incomplete which may be why you can’t put in a reading at the minute. 
You can check your meter like this ..

Also after any switch, the meter will take a little time to re-establish its communications to the data centre

The graph may still be estimated readings although when you say ‘just became’ an OVO customer, I’m not sure from which day. 

Yes, It is possible, That's what I think too

On your meter readings page, it looks like the meter serial number is incomplete which may be why you can’t put in a reading at the minute.

The serial number is OK, I removed a part of the number for privacy reasons of my landlord 🙂

I try to reach support’ chat but it is a shame ☹️ no one answers from the morning …

I also cannot sent readings manually :

Oops, there’s a problem…

Check your details and try again or contact us

But I cannot contact no one answers !

I have SMETS2 E470 Meter,  and this meter was not changed for 5 years !

And all time I and previous occupant use the same meter and the same provider OVO.

Do I need to press some buttons on the meter to send reading  via DCC ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you need to contact the team on a weekend after 2pm, their Social team is available. You can send a direct message (DM) on Facebook or Twitter from 9am - 5pm. 
Otherwise the support team are available during the week. 
On your meter, if you’ve checked it’s ok you just need to wait for it to connect. 

why isn’t OVO displaying todays smart meter readings? it is 1430. this is usually done in the mornings

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Popeye ,

Can you check again to see if today’s reading is showing up?