My Kwh raised 3 times compare to Sep22, despite the Metered volume being the same

• 3 October 2023
  • 12 replies

Good evening,

I just received my Sep bill and this time, being concerned about the amount I did some digging.

I compared to last year bill when my metered volume was 30 and the kWh units 346

This year for a 29 metered volume I have been charged 948 kWh

Is this possible? My direct debit have gone up 3times since a year ago.

My calculation: 29x40(CV) x 1.02264 / 3.6 = 329kWh.

I have opened a query with OVO still waiting for a response.

Anyone else in the same situation?

Thanks

Alice

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

Just a wild guess - you have a meter that measures in cubic metres (m³). The figure of 948kWh is very close to what 29 ( x 100) cubic feet (cu. ft., ft³) would have worked out to. Can you see on the bill page whether the metered volume is given in metric or imperial units? And does that match what it says on your meter?

Hi thanks for the reply. I think I have a metric meter. It’s a new house. I went through all the past bills and the calculations was correct since December 22 than from January the KWh skyrocketed. It’s hundred of pounds!

I hope tomorrow the complaint team at OVO comes back with a clarification.

I wonder if other customers have experienced the same. See below not sure why they should all of a sudden consider cubic feet?

Looks like a metric meter to me

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That is indeed a metric gas meter installed in 2019. Imperial gas meters stopped being installed sometime around the late 1990’s/early 2000’s.

Userlevel 7
Badge

See below not sure why they should all of a sudden consider cubic feet?

No, it looks like an error which should be easily remedied. Have you had trouble getting the Support team to fix it for you? 

If you’ve been paying almost 200% too much for gas since January, there should be a sizeable windfall on the horizon.

The support team did not understand my query they kept on telling me that it was my fault because I did not give all readings in time.

I had to raise a complaint and I have not heard from them yet. Let’s see.

Hopefully will be an easy remedy but I wonder if this happened to many more that like me don’t scrutinise the invoices until it’s too late.

Userlevel 7

Hey @AliceAllegrini,

Really sorry to hear this,

I’ll get Forum_Support to reach out, keep an eye on your private messages. 

Update from my side: OVO recognised the error and opened a billing case. 9 months of incorrect billing, probably 1,000 pounds overcharged.

I have no update on the progress. They said it could take 10 weeks. 😱
I am calling regularly.

Any suggestion on how to deal with OVO?

Thanks

alice

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Update from my side: OVO recognised the error and opened a billing case. 9 months of incorrect billing, probably 1,000 pounds overcharged.

I have no update on the progress. They said it could take 10 weeks. 😱
I am calling regularly.

Any suggestion on how to deal with OVO?

Thanks

alice

Hi @AliceAllegrini I see you have already raised a complaint. What date did you originally raise it? 

So once 8 weeks is up from the date you raised the compliant you can ask the Energy Ombudsman to help

https://www.energyombudsman.org/

10 weeks sounds a awfully long time to me personally. You could raise the issue with the OVO CEO. OVO now publish his email address

Raman-feedback@ovoenergy.com

Hi Jeffus, I raised the complaint 2 weeks ago but different from usual I have not been assigned a complaint manager.

I noticed the email of the CEO and will definitely make use of that if nothing progresses.

Although it sounds to me more of a publicity than a real escalation step. Let’s see.

I want to share that my billing case has been solved and now find myself with 1,000 pounds of credit.

I hope this message helps others. Double Check your bills including KWH calculations and go with smart meter.

Don’t do my same mistake!

Userlevel 6

Hey @AliceAllegrini 

I’m glad to hear the case has finally been resolved, and with a nice credit entering winter too.

Feel free to pop back on the Forum any time with any questions you may have.