Solved

My address keeps erroneously switching to other suppliers!

• 25 January 2024
  • 11 replies

Back in November, I was erroneously transferred to Octopus Energy and have been experiencing numerous problems ever since. I wont bore you with all the details because it would take too long but I am left with one problem which OVO seems incapable of solving:

I had an old email account which I changed because of spam etc. I changed it on my online account as was required but … accounts persist in sending emails to my old email address and don’t seem to be in communication with the rest of OVO. In spite of many phone calls, I received an email yesterday saying OVO was sorry I was leaving !!! to my old email address. This was exactly what started all my problems in the first place.

Is there any way I can speak directly to a real person in accounts so that I can finally sort this mess out?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 26 January 2024, 10:56

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Back in November, I was erroneously transferred to Octopus Energy and have been experiencing numerous problems ever since. I wont bore you with all the details because it would take too long but I am left with one problem which OVO seems incapable of solving:

I had an old email account which I changed because of spam etc. I changed it on my online account as was required but … accounts persist in sending emails to my old email address and don’t seem to be in communication with the rest of OVO. In spite of many phone calls, I received an email yesterday saying OVO was sorry I was leaving !!! to my old email address. This was exactly what started all my problems in the first place.

Is there any way I can speak directly to a real person in accounts so that I can finally sort this mess out?

You could try the ovo collections number if you haven't already 

The number is 0800 069 9831. They’re open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.

If you post how you get on it may help other customers 

Userlevel 7

Hey @RichardR,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

If a customer keeps erroneously transferring, it’s usually due to an address issue. Maybe your address is listed incorrectly on the electricity national database or is very similar to a neighbors address. So when the neighbor signs up with a supplier the supplier takes your supply in error. 

Do you know what your address is listed as on the national database and is it all correct? 

This topic has more information. 

As for the email, I wonder if you have two accounts. The old one that was closed when the supply was switched and the new one when the supply came back to OVO? Do all communications you’re sent have the same account number? 

Let’s get to the bottom of this.

Communications to both email accounts reference the same account number.

I was not aware that there was a national database but I have had problems in the past with the Post Office delivering mail to Park Road, Wigan instead of Park Road Standish, Wigan - we have different post codes of course.

Upon signing in to my on-line account, it still shows the following message which I have been unable to get OVO to remove. This could be a source of confusion as well.

You've switched to a new energy supplier

Your switch happened on 30th September 2023.

I am also considering completely deleting the old email address but I am concerned that if they can’t contact me, they could see the note on my online home screen and presume that I have left OVO.

It’s a crazy situation and it might be that the only way to resolve the issues I am having is to actually leave OVO and start afresh elsewhere. This would be slightly ironic.!!

Userlevel 6

Hey @RichardR 

Sorry to hear about the issues you’ve been having with this, Erroneous Transfers can be tricky on the customer as there’s so little you can do in the situation so I understand how frustrating this must be. 

I wonder if the email address has updated correctly on the account for both online account login, as well as the communications email? 

I’d get in touch with the Support Team, as we don’t have access to accounts here unfortunately. I’d have them check the email address is correct for both login and communications. I can;t be sure that’s the issue, but it’s worth checking as they can be different on the system.

Let us know how you get on.

I suspect I have found the cause of my erroneous transfer:

As someone above suggested, I checked my National Database entry and found that there are two identical addresses on there. Only the post codes are different. I think this is the source of the original error.

Will try to get OVO to rectify the entry but I don’t intend holding my breath.

would you believe it?  My online account shows the following message - they are transferring me again!!!

What is going on?

You've switched to a new energy supplier

Your switch happened on 30th September 2023.

Your closing balance was £19.21, we'll refund this to your bank account within 10 working days.

We'd love to have you back – check out our plans to see if you could pay less for your energy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Is the person at the similar address with the other postcode trying to change supplier ? Can you write to them and ask ?

I have managed to get OVO to delete my old email address but…

The problem persists even though I have complaints and case numbers and escalations.

Today I received an email (on the correct address) which said OVO are working on my refund and they have cancelled my Direct Debit once again.

And so the show goes on - they cancel my direct debit and refund my credit; My account then goes into debit so I create a direct Debit; Once my account is in credit again OVO cancels my Direct Debit and refunds my credit.

I am now beyond banging my head against the wall !!

Userlevel 7

I’ll ask Forum_Support to reach out @RichardR, please keep an eye on your private messages.