Solved

Monthly Direct Debit vs Monthly Bank Transfer - which is better?

Show first post

41 replies

Not happy at having to pay three times my usage amount so i can build up a credit.  Whats to stop me canceling my DD and just paying the usage amount each month.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If that’s what you want to do, you may do so - as long as you’re not on a fixed contract.

Be warned however, there is a snag. Paying On-Demand comes with a higher price tag than paying by Direct Debit. We think it’s around £200 a year more on average. Tread carefully.

I've got a similar issue. My Balance says one thing, but my usage for the month says another. I'm not sure which one to pay, as at the moment I'm paying manually so I can control what I pay, not them.

I know its more expensive but with all the increases they are making to people when they don't need it  I am not prepared for them to do that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

My Balance says one thing, but my usage for the month says another. I'm not sure which one to pay ...  

There should be no discrepancy between ‘usage’ and the figures used to calculate the charges for the period in question. Could you post screenshots showing this apparent difference? 

For some reason it won't let me attach images.

November Gas £85.25

November Electric- £101.61

Today's Balance - £105.85.

I wasn't in credit with them at the start of the month, in fact I was in credit so much I asked for a refund on my balance, which surprisingly I got.

But now I'm not sure what I'm supposed to pay for November 🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If you are paying on demand, ie not via direct debit, you should pay your outstanding balance of £105.81

Userlevel 7

Hey @Mjrigg1,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

This similar thread has some helpful advice:

See my recent response *taken from another thread*

The credit balance is worked into the calculation. If you think the recommended direct debit is wrong, then it is likely because your estimated annual consumption is incorrect. 

If you disagree with the recommended direct debit you can contact our Collections Team, they can put your direct debit on a 3 month review suspension. 

You can use the direct debit calculator on the Online Account to find out how your direct debit is calculated:

You could also request a refund of any credit in the account, although you’ll be required to leave one months direct debit in there as you pay monthly in advance. 

Hope this helps. 

What fees are incurred by cancelling the DD and settling in full every month?

I am not sure who wrote the code but the predictor to rubbish wildly swings up and down even with a reduction in usage across the month to the previous… it anxiety-inducing. Usage is on the decline and DD increases from the previous month ??? with 0 arrears.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

From calculations others have done elsewhere it looks like your cost would be around £200 more for the year. It will depend on your specific energy use though @ModsAreKeyboardWarriors 

Thanks BPLightLog.  

Hi there

i have received an email saying that my direct debit is going to change from variable quarterly to a monthly fixed amount. I’m quite happy paying as I am and trying to find out if this is compulsory . Any information on this would be appreciated 

Davesea

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Davesea ,

OVO doesn’t do Variable DD. You’re probably best off accepting the change, but if you really don’t like it you can discuss options by calling the Collections Team on 0800 069 9831.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Davesea,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

Just to add to what @Blastoise186 has advised, you do have the option to pay on receipt of your bill and cancelling your direct debit. But it works out more expensive, the following topics might be helpful to you:

Userlevel 3

We are all aware of Direct Debit payments and know these can sometimes be the dodgy way to pay. They are dodgy in that these payments rely on you having enough money in your account when the payment is due to be collected. Having said that they are also a convienient way to pay without having to remember to do so and are prefered by utilities and many other businesses for good reason.

Before I moved to OVO my energy bills were collected by Direcet Debit quarterly on demand in full. This method is used by many other companies notably mobile phone operators who collect payments though a variable monthly direct debit arrangement. SSE ended mine before the transfer to OVO who have not re-introduced it.

Instead energy providers only collect direct debits on a fixed monthly payment. Why? When paying the bill in full each month is preferable rather than a fixed amount where sometimes you overpay and others underpay. Often customers end up with a credit balance.

Can OVO re-introduce varible Direct Debit payments? I prefer this so I pay more in the winter and have lighter bills in the summer. I’m interested to hear the reason this payment method is not offered.

Userlevel 7
Badge

You’re not the first to ask about this. You might want to add your vote here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It is also worth noting that I don’t personally consider your reason for FDD being “dodgy” as being valid. If you’ve got bills to pay, you need to have the funds available by the due date regardless of how you pay. That alone kinda wipes out your reasoning tbh.