Solved

Letter for £0.00 outstanding debit balance

• 11 May 2023
  • 9 replies

Got a threatening letter from OVO, today 11th May… dated 3rd May, for £0.00, on a bill that wasn't even produced until until 19th April and was paid within 5 minutes.

They don't bill me properly for months, despite me begging for an up-to-date bill – now they are threatening me for owing nothing.

Is it just my account that in jinxed, or is this the normal state of affairs? 

icon

Best answer by Abby_OVO 22 May 2023, 11:32

View original

9 replies

So, I’ve spoken to OVO and this is what they have told me:

They know there is a fault and that many tens of thousands of collections letters have been sent out in error …. and that even though they acknowledge that my account is in credit, and the collections letter was for £0.00, they apologise in advance for the further collection action I am going to be on the receiving end of until they find and fix the problem with their systems. 

It is comedy gold 🤣

Userlevel 6

Hey @MCH59 

I’m really sorry for any confusion or stress caused by this letter.

It’s an unusual situation, but I’ve seen a couple of other Community Members report this in the last few days. See this similar topic here: 

I’m glad you have clarity on the issue now, it’s a shame that a number of customers have been affected by this communication.

My elderly parents have also received this same letter dated May 2nd. Demanding payment of £0.00 "debt" that was "now more than a month overdue" and following with consequential referrals to credit agencies.

Will corrective letters be sent out apologising for this ridiculous and threatening communication?

Please advise. 

My elderly parents have also received this same letter dated May 2nd. Demanding payment of £0.00 "debt" that was "now more than a month overdue" and following with consequential referrals to credit agencies.

Will corrective letters be sent out apologising for this ridiculous and threatening communication?

Please advise. 

Well, I haven’t received one and OVO pretty much told me that more threatening letters would follow until the problem is sorted.

Userlevel 6

Hey @denm3241 

Sorry to hear your parents received one of these letters, we apologise for any confusion or stress these may have caused.

I reached out to the team to see if they had any update on this matter, and they have confirmed that the issue was resolved on Friday and that no further letters will be sent out. 

@MCH59 I wanted to include yourself so you could stay in the loop on this update. 

@Abby_OVO will they be sending out letters correcting this mistake?

I received two letters, and two emails with a demand of notice of deafult for a balance of £0.00, and as a result referrals to credit agency's causing lots of unnecessary stress.

Tried contacting OVO the day I received the first letter and the call center had no idea what to do and couldn't even admit its a mistake and where adamant it wasn't a mistake. I called back several times as I received more letters and emails yet got no apology, they wouldn't even let me raise a complaint as they felt wasn't a gains the policy. 

Absolutely horrendous customer service from OVO, no apology and no letter of correction. 

I'd like something in writing to state this was a mistake which affected many customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Abby_OVO will they be sending out letters correcting this mistake?

I received two letters, and two emails with a demand of notice of deafult for a balance of £0.00, and as a result referrals to credit agency's causing lots of unnecessary stress.

Tried contacting OVO the day I received the first letter and the call center had no idea what to do and couldn't even admit its a mistake and where adamant it wasn't a mistake. I called back several times as I received more letters and emails yet got no apology, they wouldn't even let me raise a complaint as they felt wasn't a gains the policy. 

Absolutely horrendous customer service from OVO, no apology and no letter of correction. 

I'd like something in writing to state this was a mistake which affected many customers.

Blimey.... 

I would make the Energy Ombudsman aware OVO refused to raise a complaint, i am sure they will have something to say about that

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

OVO can't refuse a complaint, they have to raise one, even if then they issue a deadock letter you are not happy with and you have to ask the Energy Ombudsman to help and rule if any compensation etc needs paying.

You could email a complaint again including all the details and what you want to happen

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Then if you are not happy with the OVO final response or 8 weeks have passed ask the Energy Ombudsman to intervene. 

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

@Jeffus I will be raising a complaint with the ombudsman. 

I asked every time I called to make note of a complaint, and asked for someone who was able to sort and correct to call me back. 

When I last called and told the call center employee that by sending a letter when there's no exsisting debt claiming to be a notice of deafult and passing on my details is fraud, he stated it wasn't and he then went on to claim that if it was surely ofgem would do something. 

The customer service has been dreadful and if as @Abby_OVO has claimed and stated that several people, which I more imagine in the hundreds, have also received this same letter and demand by mistake that OVO should automatically be sending a letter of correction and apology. Us the customers shouldn't have to force this level of apology of OVO it should of already happened automatically. 

OVO have passed my details on fradulenty to credit agencies and I'm now demanding in writing a correction to state this was sent by mistake and an apology for the stress it's caused. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jeffus I will be raising a complaint with the ombudsman. 

I asked every time I called to make note of a complaint, and asked for someone who was able to sort and correct to call me back. 

When I last called and told the call center employee that by sending a letter when there's no exsisting debt claiming to be a notice of deafult and passing on my details is fraud, he stated it wasn't and he then went on to claim that if it was surely ofgem would do something. 

The customer service has been dreadful and if as @Abby_OVO has claimed and stated that several people, which I more imagine in the hundreds, have also received this same letter and demand by mistake that OVO should automatically be sending a letter of correction and apology. Us the customers shouldn't have to force this level of apology of OVO it should of already happened automatically. 

OVO have passed my details on fradulenty to credit agencies and I'm now demanding in writing a correction to state this was sent by mistake and an apology for the stress it's caused. 

Not great to read.... 

Yep i would certainly contact the Ombudsman asap and ask from what date they will look at your complaint. It is usually 8 weeks from the complaint or a deadlock letter from a supplier.