Keep the heating on..... but, don't skimp on insulation!

• 16 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

I know Ovo offer a quick way of comparing annual consumption, but why not offer a comparison chart over say 5 years? I was definitely surprised when I analysed my energy use with my engineer son-in-law. With all the hype about increased energy costs, my annual consumption has flat-lined the same over a 3 year period, yet prices have only increased slightly. Good news - yes? I can only assume, my fixed rate (when it ended) offered exceptionally good value, but the real value now (it seems) is by staying with a standard flexible tariff, and not locking into anything. I really thought my costs would have doubled in 3 years, but, they have not. I am (according to my son in law) a low user of gas and electricity, which is helped with 1ft (300mm) of loft thermal insulation, 28mm double glazed windows,  and the latest Greenstar gas boiler, (with digital thermostats) and only turning on radiators in the rooms where I actually need them. My message to other retired people?? Insulate well, and don’t be worried to turn the heating on. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

An interesting post @Crafyrose. The additional tips certainly help although I don’t know many people personally who keep to the same energy supplier for more than a few years. If you keep track of your own energy costs you can of course make the longer annual comparisons but I’m not sure that Ovo will have enough details to make it worthwhile for the majority. 

Badge

Thank you for your comment  BPLightlog  I was formerly with Scottish Power, but their charges prevented me from staying with them.  Shopping round is now (we are told) not really an option, but, I hope there will be some stability in the pricing….. for everyone’s sake!!! If Ovo monitor this forum, I would suggest Ovo, you could improve by not anticipating energy usage for the next 12 months, then putting monthly costs up accordingly, effectively making consumers pay in advance of what they might (or might not) use. Interesting, I have raised this point with Ovo CS, and scorned the fact their prediction software does not calculate Government benefits, or rebates, so the prediction software of whether (or not) I will be in debt is totally false. It also puzzles me why customers are ‘advised’ to hold to hold 3 months (effectively a rolling amount in escrow) on account?????? So now, I am wondering if everyone had an average of £350 - 450 in credit to Ovo, (assuming their 5 million customer base) this is available cash on account (in Ovo’s pocket) to the amount of 2 billion pounds. I shall be asking for my cash on account back. Another thought… what IF Ovo went bankrupt? Would the 3 months payment on account to us creditors be returned? As far as I can see, provided you keep paying your direct debit on time, and keep to the agreed payment schedule, I see no viable reason why any energy company should keep this amount of cash (on a rolling basis) back from their customers - especially when many of us are looking for every penny to buy food, and to just keep ticking over. I stress the importance of keeping up the payments, but overpaying?? Totally unnecessary.