Solved

Just been moved from Fixed to Simpler Variable under Energy Price Guarantee scheme. OVO have charged £60 Exit Fees?

I’ve just been moved from a higher Fixed rate to a lower Standard Variable rate under the Gov’s EPG scheme. However when I checked my latest payments OVO have charged me two £30 Exit Fees. I got in contact with the Help Centre online and they replied that ‘this is an error we are aware of, all we need to do is raise a case to billing, as you account is under account management 27’.  I’m still waiting on billing to contact me.

I’ve put this on the Forum in case others are affected. Check your latest payment carefully!

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 3 October 2022, 16:15

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @jamesbob75 ,

Just so you know, I’m a forum volunteer.

As I understand things, you will be refunded. You won’t be contacted by the billing team but your account management squad (which is a new service by the way!) will be keeping an eye on things for you and if it doesn’t get resolved as requested, they’ll give the billing team a nudge.

Thanks for the quick response and clarification. I expect it’ll get sorted in due course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It should be. While you’re here, let me explain how the new account management works. I’ve had it for nearly two years as I was one of the first members to be picked for the trial. Trust me, it’s WAY better than what you normally get!

Rather than you getting through to basically anyone, your account is now managed by a dedicated squad made up of around 10-20 agents and whenever you get in touch, you’ll almost always speak to your assigned squad, which also helps massively improve queue times among other things because you get placed in the queue to speak to that squad which you only share with other members assigned to the same squad, rather than a giant queue with absolutely everyone else trying to get in touch. They’ll get to know you and personalise the service you get over time, along with doing things like keeping track of your active cases and following up on your behalf.

They’re also pro-active, so if they spot an issue with your account, they’ll attempt to get it resolved without you having to do anything and in some cases, you might not even notice.

There’s more to come as well, but I’ll let you discover it over time. :)

Thanks again. I’ll look forward to the new improved management of my account 🙂.

Mine too! I was just coming here to post the same thing. Do I have to contact them to raise the issue or do you think I'll be automatically refunded? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You should be automatically refunded, but feel free to let OVO know anyway if you wish.

Userlevel 7

Updated on 19/10/23 by Abby_OVO: 

For all of the most up-to-date information on the Energy Price Guarantee and the Price Cap, check out this topic:

Support available for customers who may be struggling with their bills

Customer support package and where to apply

What to do if I can’t afford my energy bills?

Hey @jamesbob75 and @PoppysMama,

Sorry you’ve been affected by this issue. 

Just wanted to re-assure you, this is a known problem and we are getting this rectified.

I think due to the sheer volume of contract changes OVO are processing at the moment some customers have slipped through the net and been affected by erroneously applied exit fees. 

Your exit fees should be reversed and won’t appear on your next bill.

Hope this helps. 

Well done OVO, you have corrected the error and my exit fees have gone, thanks 👍.

I've also been charged this (2 X £30) No sign of a refund though :( 

Regarding support, I hope the above is correct as I've been waiting nearly 4 years for someone to fix my smart meter (no  replies to emails begging for help or call backs)

Userlevel 6

Hey @vegas22 

Sorry to hear you also experienced this issue.

I’d recommend contacting the Support Team regarding this as it should have been done automatically before now. We don’t have access to accounts here, so you’ll need to contact them about this to ensure you get the refund.

You can also discuss the smart meter with them again. It’s likely they’ll want to run a health check on it so I’ve linked below to the topic pages for both generations of smart meters, take a look and check which yours is, and fill out the details on this form, which will go directly to the team to assess.

@Abby_OVO thank you for your reply.

Regarding the meter, I've pretty much given in trying now (rang countless times over the years, sent an email literally begging them to help and explaining how it was impacting my life) but I've not had anything back. Was actually going to ring octopus to see if they could help as the last time I rang OVO I left the call completely exhausted with no result (or really any impression the person cared). Total opposite of what they used to be like.

Userlevel 6

Hi @vegas22 

I’m really sorry to hear this, it’s not what we want to hear at all.

Keep us updated with how you get on with this.

@Abby_OVO just an update to let you know someone from OVO finally replied to my email. They said I didn't need to worry and someone would be in contact to fix the meter ……

Sadly, I've not heard anything since.

Do you know the official complaints email? I'm being held hostage by OVO now as I can't even switch to anyone else as I can't provide a current reading (spoke to octopus who confirmed I can't move until OVO fix the issue).

Such a stressful and depressing experience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s listed at https://ovoenergy.com/feedback 

@Blastoise186 thank you. I’ve CC’d them in on the e-mail. Frustrating how I have to work with ofgem / onbudsman to get something that should be so simple fixed.

Userlevel 6

Hey @vegas22 

I’m really sorry to hear about this experience.

It’s a shame you’ve had to take those next steps but I do hope that this helps get things resolved for you. Do keep us updated with how you’re getting on with this along the way, it may be helpful for others in future, or for us to feedback to teams for improvement.