Solved

If I change from Direct Debit to Pay On Demand can I get all my credit refunded?

• 10 October 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi there,

I am considering switching from DD to pay on receipt of my bill. I know there’s a slight increase for doing it this way. 

my question is, once I do this can I then get OVO to refund my my credit on the account I would rather do this than use the credit to pay my next bills until my credit runs out. 

is this an option?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 11 October 2022, 11:51

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Anderson1863 ,

To be honest… I wouldn’t recommend it anyway because switching to pay on-demand will cost you at least an extra £200 a year and requires you to remember to pay each month by yourself. It’s better to just stay on Direct Debit.

If you cancel the Direct Debit and move to on-demand, I’m afraid you won’t be able to get a refund the easy way and your only real option would be to let the credit drain by itself.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Blastoise186 would it be possible to phone ovo to request a refund in this situation? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid not because refunds over the phone (based on my understanding) trigger the same type of refund process as doing so online does - via the Direct Debit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m afraid not because refunds over the phone (based on my understanding) trigger the same type of refund process as doing so online does - via the Direct Debit.

@Emmanuelle_OVO can you check this?

Something doesn’t feel right about this as the credit is only required as a result of the ovo rules around direct debits. 

I don't think there is an obligation for non direct debit customers to have a credit balance? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

True, there’s no obligation but at the same time it means your bills get instantly and automatically paid off until it runs out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

True, there’s no obligation but at the same time it means your bills get instantly and automatically paid off until it runs out.

Take the example of my adopted brother as a extreme case. 

The alternative to not getting the credit back is a loan shark as they have no spare income for other bills without support from us.

An awful lot of people unfortunately are now in this situation and trying hard to balance monthly income and expenditure, even though they know the DD plan is cheaper longer term.

I don't think there is any reasonable excuse not to refund the money if it is requested. 

Userlevel 7

Updated on 20/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Hey @Anderson1863,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

If you cancel your direct debit you’ll be put on the Simpler Variable On Demand Plan. You then have two options either get all the credit on your account refunded. You won’t be obliged to keep credit in your account if you’re on demand.

You’d then have to pay manually each month on receipt of the bill.

Or, you can keep the credit on your account and your bill will be taken from the credit (if you have enough, if you don’t you’ll still have a balance outstanding). 

Hope this helps.