Solved

I’ve added up my charges that make up my electricity consumption charge and there’s a 2p difference

• 15 August 2023
  • 6 replies

was just wondering do you know why I’m being charged 2 p more than I should . I’ve added up my charges that make up my electricity consumption charge and there’s a 2p difference . Is this because they round up the total to the nearest pence ? 

his is on my electricity usage page on the app .
so I’ve added my electricity usage from for example the 22nd July to the 14th august and it’s out by 2p . I was just trying to get my head round it because I was told OVO round the totals up but I couldn’t remember what they round it up too. It would be great if you could help me .

why do they round it up and down?

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 16 August 2023, 12:17

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @tom_sowood21 , the bill is calculated between the previous meter reading and the latest one so it’s a simple sum. It’s most probably different roundings you are seeing on each day which is confusing your calculation. That’s not the way it’s done

@BPLightlog Is that why there’s penny/couple penny’s difference then ? How come they have to round it ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@BPLightlog Is that why there’s penny/couple penny’s difference then ? How come they have to round it ? 

It’s likely rounded for each day (say a day is 50.1p which would show as 50p) so you can see that any difference might add up during a billing period.

Just taking the start and end reading for the month gives you a more accurate cost

Ah ok it’s just confusing because at the moment it’s 2pence out but I guess if they’ve rounded it up at some point so it makes sense 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The daily usage costs are never as accurate. If you’re looking for a ‘progress’ total during a billing period, it’s better to look at details here

https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-details

Thanks for clearing this up for me !