Solved

I'm moving out and want to close my OVO account, but I can't find where to submit my info online?

• 14 February 2021
  • 53 replies

Show first post

53 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Bit tricky I’m afraid. This sounds VERY account specific so we can’t say much here. Have you tried Live Chat via https://help.ovoenergy.com ?

yeah will try live chat thanks

just trying live chat now 160 queue gave up holding on phone was over an hour no one answered. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok, you should get through then. Keep an eye on it and someone will answer when they can

Hi okay I managed finally to get through to support. It seems no one bothered to close my old account down from my old address. Took them ages to work it all out. I owed money which I was paying off every month - so had to set up a new direct debit/ plan for the amount owed on my old account to pay it off in installments as they can not apparently carry historical debt over to a new account which is fine.

The problem now is when I login to my OVO online account - it still shows my old address and only the direct debit payment for my installments of historical debt.

I have no way of accessing my new account online - which is a new account number. Each time I put in my email im asked to reset my password which I do - then when i login im in my old account. Anyone know how i can create a new account reflecting my new OVO account number and my current future bills etc ? support just kept telling me its okay it will sort itself - then gave me a number which could apparently help which was in the end just the same support number.

This house move could not have been messier by OVO! thanks

Userlevel 7

Hey @Dexplay,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

When you move into a new property you’ll inherit whoever the current supplier is in that property. You’ll need to contact them to set up an interim account, even if you wish to switch away, otherwise they may object to your switch. I fear this might be the issue in your case, but we will email you to let you know if your current supplier objects to the switch. 

If your Welcome Pack it should tell you your supply start date, this will be the date OVO takes over the energy supply at your new property.

In regards to your old account, you can disregard this. You’ll be final billed and that account will be closed, if you had credit on the account it will be refunded, if you have an arrears your direct debit will be kept open to clear this arrears.

It sounds like you’ve now closed your old account over the phone, this can also be done online:

You’ll get your final bill within the next 4 weeks. With your new account you need to select ‘first time logging in’ and set up a password. If it keeps defaulting to your old account it may be there is an issue with your current switch, if not, you can request Support remove the email from your old account. 

Hope this helps. 

Hey @Dexplay,

When you move into a new property you’ll inherit whoever the current supplier is in that property. You’ll need to contact them to set up an interim account, even if you wish to switch away, otherwise they may object to your switch. I fear this might be the issue in your case, but we will email you to let you know if your current supplier objects to the switch. 

If your Welcome Pack it should tell you your supply start date, this will be the date OVO takes over the energy supply at your new property.

In regards to your old account, you can disregard this. You’ll be final billed and that account will be closed, if you had credit on the account it will be refunded, if you have an arrears your direct debit will be kept open to clear this arrears.

It sounds like you’ve now closed your old account over the phone, this can also be done online:

You’ll get your final bill within the next 4 weeks. With your new account you need to select ‘first time logging in’ and set up a password. If it keeps defaulting to your old account it may be there is an issue with your current switch, if not, you can request Support remove the email from your old account. 

Hope this helps. 

Hi thanks for the reply. My new account was finally setup and got my new contract in the post. But the problem remains my old account is still active as i have an historic balance which I have set up a repayment plan on. And my old online account of course only shows my old details.

So my question is how do I set up a new account to reflect my new contract / new address ? each time I try to set it  up im redirected to the old account which I understand has to remain open whilst I clear my old balance over the next 12 months.

Can a new account with a new email be set up so it links only to my current new account reflecting my new address and my monthly bills ect as I cant see anything on my old account other than the historical debt which im paying of monthly ?

thank you

Userlevel 7

Hey @Dexplay,

You should be able to alternate between the two accounts:

It may be that your Online Account isn’t ready yet, I’d call Support to make sure the switch is going through okay and they can send you a password re-set.

Hope this helps. 

Hey @Dexplay,

You should be able to alternate between the two accounts:

It may be that your Online Account isn’t ready yet, I’d call Support to make sure the switch is going through okay and they can send you a password re-set.

Hope this helps. 

Hi okay well they have taken the direct debit for the new account. I will call support at some point this week but need to find the time because it can take ages to get through to support. But surely they should automatically set up a new account ? thank you for your reply

I’ve got direct debit. I move out March 24th. I will pay my last lot of £240 on March 24th. I am already in credit of £321. Will my last payment of £240 be added on to the £321. My roommate says the £240 I pay in march will be paid for what I used in March. I guess what I am asking is what will be (on estimate) my final credit and how does it work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your final payment will be added to your current credit amount. Then they will subtract the costs of energy used up to the day you move out (don't forget to send your closing meter readings). That will be your final balance that will be refunded to you (assuming it's a credit amount).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That looks odd. Did you type it in or select it from the date picker?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Perhaps as it’s a Bank Holiday - although not exactly sure why

Userlevel 7

Hey @fedup247,

That is odd. If you are still having issues you can contact our Support Team to action the move out.

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I wonder happens if you select another Bank Holiday 

Why is ovo so hard to deal with just want to give them opening and closing reads for a landlord seems impossible anyone else having trouble

Userlevel 7

Hey @rob walker,

Are you trying to give the opening and closing readings for the past and current tenants? We would usually expect the tenants to provide this information. Although it doesn't have to be an account holder that gives in a meter reading, you can do so via webchat or over the phone. 

Our Support team’s web messaging and WhatsApp opening hours will be:

• 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday 

• 9am - 2pm on Saturdays

Our Support team can be contacted by phone on 0330 303 5063 between:

• 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. 

You can see all open contact channels via our Help Centre

Or is there an interim period where you are liable between tenants? In which case you can either call us or, if you’d prefer to do it all online you can sign up here. If you have an online account you can submit readings and also advise when you end liability, see this handy tutorial:

Hope this helps. 

Hi there

My accounts need to be closed as i have moved out of a property in May and I've been given the run around between Ovo and SSE this morning while trying to follow up, after originally giving notice about it.

I need to ensure that I will not be billed further in June

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Try 0330 303 5063 or https://help.ovoenergy.com for this. I'm afraid we don't have access to your account from here 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Perhaps this might help @NikW https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/leaving-ovo

The info just loops me between process info and contact us page with both suggestions but thanks anyway!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The other option we can suggest (now that I’m back at Samurott rather than using Dewott), is the Complaint Process via https://ovoenergy.com/feedback .

However, if your Move Out was successful, you should get a Final Bill and that’d be the last one once fully paid off.

Userlevel 6

Hey @NikW 

Have you been managed to get in touch with the Support Team yet?

All of their lines of communication are open so you should be able to get through to get this resolved. You can also do this online at https://my.ovoenergy.com/login.

Hi there

Yes I tried the call centre again this morning and now awaiting final letters, thank you