Solved

I give meter readings each month, why is my bill still based on estimates?

Show first post

140 replies

I received an email from OVO titled: “Important: we’ve underestimated your energy use” and it explains that

“Unfortunately, when we used your most recent meter reading to update your energy account, it’s shown that we’ve been underestimating how much energy you use.
This means your bills have been incorrect since 30/10/2020, and we’ve been billing you for less energy than you’ve actually used.

… we won't ask you to make any more payments for energy you used over 12 months ago … We’ve also recalculated your energy use for the last 12 months.

This means you now have a negative balance of £xxx.”

I am not sure what this means, as I often give actual meter readings, including one a few days ago. So most of my bills have been accurate, and if they had been estimated, then the recent reading would have resulted in a very large bill to catch up.

I have photographs of the meter every single time I gave a meter reading, so I can prove that my readings are accurate.

I realise that there is nothing further to pay right now, as OVO have written off what they thought was an underestimated cost.

I pay via direct debit and have a normal meter (not a smart one).

But can someone from OVO please explain why I should have paid more despite giving accurate meter readings?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’d recommend double checking with Support, they can see the account whereas we can’t from here. https://help.ovoenergy.com .

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can double check what meter readings are on your account @Electro and see if they match up to what you have details for. 
It’s worth keeping check to see that they don’t use estimates too often. 
https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

Why, when I faithfully provide meter readings on time, each month, does OVO still give estimated readings on my bills?

This question was asked 6 years ago, but I’ve had exactly this same problem as of March/April 2023. Also change of System, in April 21st 2023 £2000 debit from £350 credit. How does that work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Why, when I faithfully provide meter readings on time, each month, does OVO still give estimated readings on my bills?

This question was asked 6 years ago, but I’ve had exactly this same problem as of March/April 2023. Also change of System, in April 21st 2023 £2000 debit from £350 credit. How does that work?

We’re already answering this in your own thread. Please check there.

I am new to OVO and from my short time with them I am convinced they are the worst energy supplier in Britain

3 months ago they told me that due to my electricity usage IO would be in deficit for over £16000 pounds

They have done me a favour and reduced the estimate to only £4500 meaning that they want the DD to go  from 206 to 597 a month

I live in a modest 3 bed house and despite sending them monthly readings they refuse to listen to me and have told me lies that the amount will not increase and the estimate submitted was in error

Has anyone had this problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge

The figures you’re seeing look truly alarming.

The estimates used to calculate your Direct Debit are based on the numbers in your plan. If you post a screenshot of your Plan page, we may be able to see why they are so inflated. 

One of the figures on that page is the Future Annual Consumption (FAC). Since you have been submitting regular monthly meter readings, you should be able to work out how much electricity you used in the past year - just subtract the reading for July 2022 from the one for July 2023 to get a good idea. Is this very different from the FAC?

Another factor in the DD calculation is the state of your account. You can see today’s balance on the Home page; if it’s negative, the DD will be increased to pay off the deficit over the period. 

Meanwhile, have a look at Getting to grips with the Direct Debit Calculator on your online account or OVO app | The OVO Forum to see how your DD is worked out.  You’ll also find a lot of information about your usage on the other pages of your online account.

since February total electric consumption is 825kw

account balance today is +£351 !

I have tried to relay these facts to their rep via chat but the message does not register

Userlevel 7
Badge

Those figures don’t help to explain why your predicted costs and Direct Debit are so high. We have to see your plan details, along with your energy consumption for the past year.

Userlevel 7

Hey @billgemmell,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, 

As you have switched to OVO recently the large estimated bill may have been due to a read dispute, this is when an initial reading is used that is an estimate which is not in line with the other ‘actual readings’ from a meter. 

This can be raised by OVO, or the previous supplier you have switched from. Once this is raised we can place you on a billing suspension, and a direct debit review suspension meaning your direct debit isn't increased. 

If it was an out of line estimate mid billing cycle. Then every read submitting subsequently will alter the estimated annual consumption and predicted direct debit. There is a live billing system so when you submit a meter reading your account balance will change accordingly. I’d strongly suggest getting a smart meter installed so your readings are sent across automatically. 

Hope this helps. 

I have raised the issue with OVO on two occasions and despite assurances that there is an error in the estimated use and a further assurance that the DD would not increase, OVO increased the DD yesterday.

The actual readings that I submit to OVO appear to be ignored as these readings would confirm that I will never use the energy that has been estimated by OVO.

Userlevel 7

Hey @billgemmell,

That sounds very frustrating, I’m sorry to hear this. 

Please contact the Support Team who will be able to submit an actual reading on your behalf. It may then be flagged and go to the billing team to be authorized and added to the account. You can contact them via web chat. 

Customer Support will also be able to put your account on a direct debit review suspension for 3 months until this is resolved. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I have raised the issue with OVO on two occasions and despite assurances that there is an error in the estimated use and a further assurance that the DD would not increase, OVO increased the DD yesterday.

The actual readings that I submit to OVO appear to be ignored as these readings would confirm that I will never use the energy that has been estimated by OVO.

Have you put in a complaint over the last 3  months?

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

I am new to OVO and from my short time with them I am convinced they are the worst energy supplier in Britain

3 months ago they told me that due to my electricity usage IO would be in deficit for over £16000 pounds

They have done me a favour and reduced the estimate to only £4500 meaning that they want the DD to go  from 206 to 597 a month

I live in a modest 3 bed house and despite sending them monthly readings they refuse to listen to me and have told me lies that the amount will not increase and the estimate submitted was in error

Has anyone had this problem?

Hi yes my bill seems to be never ending , a new price everyday. I have waited over 6 weeks now for 4 outstanding email replies and nothing! I'm changing supplier it's a joke

Userlevel 7

Hey @chubsterpug,

I’ll respond to you on your other thread:

According to Ovo Q&A you should send your meter readings on the last day of your current billing period it then takes 2 days to generate the actual bill for that period. With my last energy company on a 12 week billing period you would get your bill by email. You could then send in your meter readings then and you would get your new bill sent instantaneously to your email 

why does it take Ovo 2 days to generate your bills after submitting your readings on the last day of your current rather than instantaneous as with my previous energy company 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Not sure of your previous supplier @Pilgrim2 but besides double checking, gas costs have to be calculated after readings are taken to take account of the caloric value. These figures aren’t published by the gas transporter until after each days supply. 
That’s probably a key reason

In my case O am an electricity customer only no gas involved so you would expect your bill automatically as I did with SSE Hydro 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

OVO do have what they call ‘live billing’ so you can see your usage and costs immediately online 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-history

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I sent in an up to date reading a week ago (21/09), and my account has still not been updated. We have had solar panels fitted and so the bill should be a lot less that the amount on the bill. Why is it taking so long to update?

Userlevel 7

Hi @serennu and thanks for asking this. Nice work getting solar panels fitted - you’ve just earned a badge on your forum profile for that!

I’m surprised to hear your OVO online account hasn’t been updated yet following that reading. It would usually take a matter of minutes to show, not days. 

Please check here to see if the reading is showing: https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

If it’s not, can you try and submit another reading and look out for any error messages you get when you submit them?

If the reading is showing, it should be factored in to your current billing period’s charges, shown here:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I sent in an up to date reading a week ago (21/09), and my account has still not been updated. We have had solar panels fitted and so the bill should be a lot less that the amount on the bill. Why is it taking so long to update?

Hi @serennu out of curiosity, I assume this means you haven’t got a smart meter for whatever reason? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No I don’t have a smart meter

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Hi @serennu and thanks for asking this. Nice work getting solar panels fitted - you’ve just earned a badge on your forum profile for that!

I’m surprised to hear your OVO online account hasn’t been updated yet following that reading. It would usually take a matter of minutes to show, not days. 

Please check here to see if the reading is showing: https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

If it’s not, can you try and submit another reading and look out for any error messages you get when you submit them?

If the reading is showing, it should be factored in to your current billing period’s charges, shown here:

Thank you, will try sending in another reading

Userlevel 7

Hey @serennu,

Any update on this? 

If the reading still hasn’t been updated I’d advise contacting the support team, there may be an error on your account.