Solved

I give meter readings each month, why is my bill still based on estimates?

Show first post

140 replies

Hello OVO

I do hope one day or year soon you'll get monthly "gas usage estimates" rather more accurate.

For the next month, Sept 2108, your estimate is 810Khw. In Sept 2017 we used 62Khw. Sept 2016 we used 94Khw.
For October 2018, the estimate is 1140Khw. 2017 we used 62Khw & in 2016 just 125Khw.
November 2018, estimate is 1296Khw. 2017 we gobbled 281Khw and 2016 brrrrr 596Khws.
Etc.
The pattern seems to be for really dumb excessive gas estimates for the summer & autumn seasons. No idea why. Maybe you guys need to change your bit of seaweed & the pine cone in Bristol?

I guess your energy estimates factor in your monthly DD recommendation, if we followed that we'd build a cash holding with you. No big licks but I don't bank with my greengrocer & OVO's no different.

Please don't suggest Smart (truly an oxymoron) Meters. They plainly were designed by the same committee who came up with the platypus duck. A good old mate of mine has been fully employed battling these past 10yrs to somehow get the software for them to work & I think he's not finished yet :D

End of grumble.
Userlevel 7
@Brian out on the Suffolk coast thanks for sharing. Where's this monthly estimate you see? I'll be able to advise how it's calculated when I know this! As for building up credit, that is the plan for fixed tariff customers. Build up credit in the summer (3-5% annual interest) and eat into this in the winter. If we were to do it the other way and have our customers in debt for half the year, we wouldn't have the liquidity to buy our energy in bulk at a great price for the customer - fair enough?
I joined Ovo 5 Feb 2018 in the hope they would an be an improvement on my previous supplier who totally trashed my gas usage. I called Ovo before transferring and was assured they would sort it all out within a few months (I think 16 weeks was mentioned for some reason). Here I am nearly a year on and my last bill showed I used just under 4 units per day, but despite many calls OVO still estimate 13 units a day! I gave them a reading of 5086 on 4th jan, equating to less than 4 units per day based on last bill, Ovo estimated 1 day usage and added 13 units to my bill! The impact of this on current plan is not huge, but Ovo want to double my direct debit if I renew or put me on standard tariff if I don’t sign up for new plan, add to this I haven’t been able to take advantage of any offers during my contract because the estimates are always so high. It seems to me despite promising to sort with the meter company, Ovo are making no effort as they make more money out of me if they don’t sort it. I can’t even leave for another provider as the rubbish estimate will move with me and I’ll have to start all over again. I can’t even phone them to complain without losing my discount!
before anyone suggests smart meters, I did book an installation, took a days holiday from work and pretty much the first thing the installer said to me was they can’t install in the gas boxes Redrow use on new homes and Ovo know that!!!!

anyone else had similar nightmares and is there an answer?
How do I correct and estimate after the statement has been issued.

I keep getting charged for off-peak electricity despite having turned the heaters off in April What happens is that I get a reminder to give a meter reading. When the statement comes there is a few days estimate. The next month, when I try to put in the actual reading, Ovo don’t accept the actual reading as it is lower than the previous months estimate. So I can only put the figure from the previous statement. This way the figure keeps going up and up - especially as ovo’s estimate for those few days is so high.
all in all I have been charged for 200 units that I haven’t used.
Userlevel 5

I've moved your post here, @Mulletty, take a look at Darran's best answer for more info on this.

To correct an estimated reading you would need to get in touch, you can send us a message on Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB, account number and up to date meter reading.

If you don't use social media, you can speak with them through our Help Centre’s online chat!

Similar but different issue here. With other suppliers (gas or electricity) if a reading is sent late, then it is taken into account and the balance adjusted.

OK if OVO don’t do this, but why if I send in a reading one day late is there no message to say it won’t be recorded? Not even a warning that it’s too late.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for raising that issue @AlisonH - good point!

The new Billing System is still in it’s early days. Unlike many other Energy Suppliers, OVO have developed their own system. That means the programming team are still working on it and can add features.

Their first priority was to ensure that it fully complies with Ofgem’s guidelines, which it does.

So let’s ask the duty Moderator, @Eva_OVO, to see if your suggestion can be allocated a “ticket” and passed to the programmers in London.

Userlevel 5

We’ll record the reading, @AlisonH, but it won’t be recorded on your summary if one has already been generated. You’ll see the reading on your next month’s summary.

I don’t agree. I know I have been submitting readings, but the record still shows as Estimated. I have also raised this with the on-line chat and had the same answer. 

I will just have to make sure I submit absolutely on the day in future and take a screenshot. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I believe I understand what you’re saying @AlisonH. Let me just repeat this back to you so I can be sure we’re on the same page:

If the submitted reading is just beyond the cut-off date/time then that month’s bill will be issued based on usage which is 100% estimated.

Let’s say that you then submit the following month’s reading in time. Since the Billing System only needs to note the cumulative total, there is no mention of the previous actual reading which you gave.

Am I correct so far?

Now @Eva_OVO (who is a Forum Moderator) states that “You’ll see the reading on your next month’s summary”.

Here's an example (from one of my gas bills in Sept last year) showing what Eva suggests you should see:

Now this is a particularly ‘silly’ Bill because my meters were part of a test being done by an OVO Engineer, and the estimate is therefore way out!

Nevertheless you can see that I should’ve provided a reading by 13th August, but I didn’t do so until two days later.  As a consequence my August Bill was entirely estimated.

My September Gas Bill therefore shows the late Customer Reading, and then yet another Estimate because I didn’t provide that September’s reading in time either.

Now if I turn to the electricity Bill for the same period I see this:

Never mind that this ran to 18th Sept instead of 13th. The important bit to notice is that there is no Customer Reading shown for 15th August, despite the fact that I submitted readings for both gas and electricity together online.

Is this what you are seeing?

I have had enuf of ovo. I send reading on the day reminder is received. So no excuse about estimates when units added by a heck of a lot, readings totally ignored and changed so that I am being charged for electricity I haven’t used and pay extra vat. Never had a problem with SE in all the years  I was with them now  billings are a mess.

Should have been enough. Don’t want to be cast as  uneducated 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @kitkat ,

I’m really sorry for the trouble there. Could you get in touch with the support team in the morning to provide your actual meter readings? They’ll be able to override the system and get you an accurate bill. If you’ve used less energy than you’ve been charged for, you’ll also be able to get the excess payments refunded as well.

You didn’t mention whether you’re on the new billing system, as this might be a possible clue. I’m happy to help you with some advice though.

Thank you for replying and I certainly be phoning again if it is not constantly engaged again. My gripe is about the discrepancy in my meter readings and why they are not used and have a great mount of units added to them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can understand you there.

When it comes to contacting OVO, Live Chat tends to be a bit faster and more reliable than phone. If you let the agent know you've spoken to me here on the forum and provide a link to this thread, they’ll know what we’ve talked about already.

Oh, and if you log into MyOVO before firing up Live Chat, you might also find a little surprise - you’ll instantly clear security and won’t have to go through that with an agent. I hope it helps.

The support team can override the system with your readings, which should force an update to go through.

I have been sending the picture of my meters (both gas and electricity) to Ovo on the last days of my billing period via e-mail. However the closing reading  on my bills is constantly much higher than the actually physical reading of the meters.

The most reply I get that “working on the Smart reader issue.”

It seems I am being massively overcharged constantly on the bills.

Anybody having same issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

It sounds like you're getting estimated bills because you're not submitting readings quickly enough. When you put readings in manually, it's best to either phone them through, go via live chat or use self service options via MyOVO or the OVO Energy app. That should fix your bills. :)

Emails take a while to answer and I'm afraid that the turnaround time isn't fast enough for sending meter readings.

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear of the issues you’re having within inaccurate estimated readings being used on your monthly summaries, @AgSz.

As you mentioned emailing these in, I’m wondering if you’ve managed to login to your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) yet?

Logging in and heading over to the ‘Meter Readings’ page is the easiest way to submit meter readings - what’s better, it will also update your balance straight away, which is really helpful if the estimates used have been too high.

Hoping this helps get the issue sorted - but as ever we’re always here to give advice if you’re still having problems. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 2

I just received my bill for Oct - Nov, it is done on the 18th of the month. This month I gave my reading on the 17th, OVO go on to add a bit (estimate) to round it up to the bill day, the 18th.

I just sat down and calculated how much they ‘estimated’ and it is way off, in this instance we are only talking about 24 hours use, but the extra added is much higher than any reasonable calculation could reasonably add. For gas, they added 12 units and considering the actual reading indicates for this month we used a total of 58 units, about 2 units a day? The same goes for the electric, OVO added 30 units for approximately a 24 hours period, when the recorded readings show the usage this month to be 8-9 units a day. This affects our positive credit status, doesn’t it? I am willing to concede I may have got this wrong, my maths can be a little wayward. But if I am not wrong, then why do OVO not just use a simple percentage to estimate the excess since the readings were given?

Divided the given readings difference, by the number of days, to give a usage per day within the billing period.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @Pierssy !

Hmm… That looks like the legacy billing system to me. Do you still use an OVO ID to login to your account? I don’t need to know what the ID is, just whether you’re using one - that helps me to know for definite which system you’re on.

While the new billing platform is custom built in-house by OVO’s sister company Kaluza, the legacy billing system is actually a third-party product that OVO purchased from another vendor back in the day. OVO doesn’t really have much control over the latter as only the vendor for that one can fix an issue like this.

My understanding is that a lot of these issues from the legacy system have been fixed in the new one, so this shouldn’t be a problem once you’ve been migrated over (the new one is a lot more accurate in general).

However, the Support Team will be happy to discuss this with you, as they might be able to optimise your Estimated Annual Consumption values to better match your actual usage and (hopefully) squash these estimates down a bit. It may also result in your payments dropping slightly at the next Direct Debit Check-In or when you come to renew. It’s definitely something that I’d recommend asking them about, as it may help to smooth things out a bit more effectively.

Either way, you’ll only be billed and pay for what you actually use, so the bill you get next month will technically “fix” the estimated usage for that one day and reflect it in the following bill. Technically, it could cause minor quirks in your credit balance, but it’s probably not too bad given that it would probably remain fairly stable anyway.

While Smart Meters can also resolve this even in Monthly mode, I can understand if you’re not ready to upgrade right now. I’ll drop the link here just in case you are interested, but feel free to hang onto your current setup in the meantime if you’d rather keep things as they are.

Userlevel 7

Welcome to the OVO online community, @Pierssy -

See you’ve already met one of our top volunteers around here, @Blastoise186 who’s given some great advice which might help explain why you’ve noticed the difference between the actual readings you submitted and those estimated readings that were generated the following day.

In case you wanted more information on the ‘Estimated Annual Consumption’ (EAC) figure that was mentioned we’ve got a great guide to this here.

We’d also second the recommendation to consider a smart meter installation - this really helps ensure that your billing is based on actual readings received from your meter rather than estimates generated on your billing date as well as offering some more great benefits.

Have you been submitting you meter readings on your online account? As @Blastoise186 we’ve been updating all our members to a new online account which should look something like this (your account should be updated shortly if it’s not already!):

Exact appearance may vary

One of the great features of this new online portal is the ability to calculate your balance on a daily basis - any time you submit a reading here you’ll notice your balance will update to account for the up-to date usage, a great way to check things following an estimated statement. We’ve got a full guide to help you get to grips with the way this works here.

Hope this information helps - Do pop back if you’ve got any more questions, we’re always happy to help here! 

Userlevel 2

Hmm… That looks like the legacy billing system to me. Do you still use an OVO ID to login to your account? I don’t need to know what the ID is, just whether you’re using one - that helps me to know for definite which system you’re on.

Many thanks @Blastoise186, It’s not really a huge issue, and yes I log in with an ID. Just odd that the top up estimate should be so wildly excessive. 

All the best

Piers

I am relatively new to Ovo & have the same problem with not being able to get meter readings in late enough and ridiculously high top up estimate being used.  Used only 23 metered units or whatever they are called from 28 to 29th of the next month &  and Ovo add 4 extra estimated units  for one day?  So it seems as well as getting penalised for not having DD customers also get penalised for not having a smart meter, as this seems to be the only way to avoid an estimated top up to bills.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You only pay for the electricity you use so as long as you're providing regular meter readings I wouldn't worry about the estimates that OVO apply to the end of each month. Any inaccuracy in the estimate will get cancelled out when you give your next reading.

Estimates are done by an algorithm and 4kWh for a days use isn't unusual. We use a lot more than that every day.

4th October.iv just submitted my meter reading via automated phone service.will my previous months be charged at new rate?am I to late??thanks