Solved

Huge usage showing online and on app after I submitted a reading - is this because of the reading dispute?

• 14 September 2022
  • 16 replies

The usage on my app is telling me in September I’ve used as much kw|h as I do for the whole year. OVOare telling me it’s a bug but at the same time trying to increase my DD. Also apparently they can’t see it on their computers. I’m very concerned this is going to cost me money.

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 14 September 2022, 17:39

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Can you see what the latest meter reading is ? Maybe an extra zero crept in ?

Userlevel 7

Hey @Bart1975,

Sorry for the issues you’ve been having. 

As this issue is account specific and I don’t have access to your notes I can only speculate as to what might have happened here.

I’d advise taking a look at the readings on your online account and seeing if there are any estimated readings. 

You haven’t mentioned whether you have a traditional or smart meter. If you have a traditional meter and haven’t submitted readings in while… when you submit a read this might result in a spike in usage if we have been underestimating. We’ve got a great tutorial about how OVO billing works:

If you have a smart meter it might be that we lost, then regained communication with your smart meters. Check out this helpful guide for more information:

It may be a tech issue if the spike shown in the usage graphs isn’t reflected in your bills, account balance or meter reads. If this is the case I'd advise sending a screenshot to Support if you haven’t done so already. 

Keep us posted with how you get on!

Hi 

I have a normal meter . Not a smart one.

My readings have been estimated since I switched to OVO.  The readings I gave were a long way under the estimates that you had given me so have been put into the read disputes category’s , which is currently being dealt with . Could this have something to do with the app going crazy ?

Could you tell me how to send a photo to the support people also as I can’t see it on the page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you don’t have a smart meter, then the Usage pages won’t serve any useful purpose I’m afraid. You can submit a reading via https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings or under Account > Meter Readings in the app.

To send files to Support, first fire up a Live Chat via https://help.ovoenergy.com (it’s the Message Us button!) and then use the image icon in the bottom left of the chat box.

Userlevel 7

Updated on 19/10/23 by Abby_OVO

I have a normal meter . Not a smart one.

My readings have been estimated since I switched to OVO.  The readings I gave were a long way under the estimates that you had given me so have been put into the read disputes category’s , which is currently being dealt with . Could this have something to do with the app going crazy ?

Could you tell me how to send a photo to the support people also as I can’t see it on the page.

Hi @Bart1975,

Thank you for your response.

It sounds like you have a read dispute which has been already raised and is being dealt with. This could absolutely cause an unusual spike in your usage graph. I think we may have got to the bottom of the issue here! 

We have a really helpful guide here all about the read dispute process:

Keep us posted with how you get on! 

I have just found out that SSE migrated my account to OVO with thousands of pounds of debt that does not actually exist. I was not in debt to SSE at all. 

OVO say i need to speak to SSE about it but their customer support number 0345 070 7373 is no longer in use.

How can i contact them to sort this out?

It’s a real nightmare! Please help.

Insist that OVO facilitate that conversation. SSE Energy Services were owned by OVO long before the migration of accounts took place, so any migrated balance is 100% OVO’s responsibility.

If you access your old SSE account online now it redirects ALL enquiries to OVO’s https://www.ovoenergy.com/help#contact_us_container which gives the standard OVO number (0330 303 506 for pay monthly customers).

The billing was on different systems, so the OVO agents likely don’t have access to the old account information (nor do you) but someone at OVO does and if they simply try to palm it off as someone else’s problem they are way out of order because your pre-migration account is still OVO’s responsibility.

They are trying to fob you off because that is easier and it helps their call statistics,  but dig your heels in and Insist that OVO themselves put you in touch with the department responsible for the migrated balances.

You should however be able to view at least a year’s worth of your old SSE statement information through the ‘FULL BILLING HISTORY’ at the bottom of the first page you are presented with after logging into your online OVO account, so that may give you some indication of what is going on. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @willrankin,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

@MCH59 is correct, there will be a backend team in OVO that can view the details of your previous billing with the old supplier. 

I’m wondering if an out of line meter reading was submitted? Or the meter read used on your final bill was incorrect? Do you have access to any of your statements?

Hi All,

I've been moved from SSE to OVO but it has been a nightmare.

They are demanding payment on the "estimated" invoice from the move over from SSE. This estimated bill is twice as much than my normal usage.  I'm at my wits end and this is causing me great stress! 

There have been cases which have been opened only to be closed without them notifying me of any resolution. There have been around 6 cases now opened only to be "shut" again and people telling me it would be resolved etc... and nothing.

I've been paying the "true" invoices which have come through since the move but the opening balance from SSE is massively incorrect.

What can I do?

Thank you everyone

Rebecca

Userlevel 7

Hey @RebeccaJ,

Sorry to hear this,

Does the final meter reading from the old supplier match the opening meter reading from OVO? If not, this will need to be raised to our billing team to resolve. 

If the meter readings do match but are out of line with your actual readings, a meter reading dispute will need to be raised. You can find out more about this topic here:

Hi everyone,

I’m in a bit of an undesirable situation after being moved over from SSE. 

I set up my OVO account last week and was greeted by an outstanding charge of over £1400 (small flat where I only reside ½ a month). I understand this is a standard result of energy companies taking estimated meter readings, so I submitted up-to-date meter readings and still no prevail, over a week later.

The meter readings on the app look correct, but there is a large balance adjustment causing my debit to be huge. I called the help line and got readings taken, but the problem hasn’t been fixed. 

It doesn’t look like I can call them on weekends - anybody had a similar problem? 

Just trying my best to pay what I owe - but it’s  certainly not £1400. 

Best regards 

William 

Userlevel 2

Similar here.  I had a good amount of credit with SSE, then around the migration period a bizarre bill with readings way higher than my meters currently read was produced which wiped my credit out and they stated a minus balance on transfer.

If you still have access online to your previous SSE bills check the same hasn’t happened.  Afraid I find their customer service very poor.  You will wait months to have it sorted out even if you have the evidence they are at fault.

Userlevel 7

Hey @willyb2908,

It sounds like you’ve been affected by a a meter reading dispute, we have more on this topic here:

The ‘Meter Reading Dispute’ Process

- We ask you to take two meter readings at least two weeks apart
- We use these to calculate what the meter reading should’ve been on the date you switched
- If there’s a big enough difference between the reading used and the reading calculated, we can officially raise this as a ‘Meter Reading Dispute’
- We contact your previous supplier with our calculated read
- Once they’ve agreed to this new reading, we can amend opening meter reading and reissue your opening statement. Be aware that your previous supplier may also re-issue their final statement with you.
- This whole process can take up to 12 weeks as we have to wait for the calculated reading to be received and agreed to by the other supplier.

During this process your regular monthly billing will be paused whilst we look to correct the opening statement. If you pay via Direct Debit these payments will continue, building up a credit balance in your account to cover the opening statement once it’s issued.

If you don’t yet have a Direct Debit in place, we’d recommend setting one up with our Support Team, to avoid a large balance to pay when your initial statement is re-issued.

The Support Team will be able to raise this for you, you can contact them via webchat. 

Hope this helps. 

I have been trying to sort out a billing problem on my account since November following a change of suppliers.

Following multiple attempts to tell Ovo they had incorrect meter readings and can I please have a corrected bill I received a letter in January asking for payment. Spoke to customer service who confirmed that I don’t owe any money, in fact they owe me a credit.

Today I have received another letter saying they have passed this to a debt collection agency.

Seems like customer services don’t work for the same company as billing - based on my minimal experience with them to date I strongly recommend you avoid them like the plague

Userlevel 7

Hey @unhappy customer,

I’m sorry to hear this,

Is the letter you’ve received in your name or is it addressed to ‘the occupier’, if it’s the latter, it might be the debt balance is for a previous tenant. 

I’ll ask Forum_Support to reach out to you, please keep an eye on your private messages. 

Its definitely in my name, and I have already been through this with customer services in January.

I posted a similar comment on the Ovo Facebook page & somewhat unsurprisingly I had a response from support on there in less than an hour confirming I don’t owe anything. It is funny that your billing team is only available from 9-5 to normal customers and yet a public complaint at 7 in the evening con be responded to very quickly.

Even less off a surprise is the fact that I have yet to have any messages from anyone other that the social media teams.  You seem to be much more interested in your public image then in actually solving the problem

I will reply to the PM you have sent on here as well, it will be a useful addition to the complaint I suspect I will end up sending to Ofgen