Solved

How will the Governments Alternative Fuel Payment be made?

• 13 October 2022
  • 94 replies

Show first post

94 replies

@Emmanuelle_OVO

Could OVO update this page with the dates etc? 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/alternative-fuel-payment

Then we can direct customers to that page. 

Thank you for this update, this answers my

original question 👍

Just in time for making another oil order 👍

Userlevel 2

It looks like I'll have to actually apply for this I've asked my m.p to clarify exactly what is to happen as every day there are reports of differing opinions as to what is the criteria as the one on OVO states if you are on any of the alternative fuels you get this payment automatically but this is not true huh as usual something actually quite easy is a nightmare to obtain 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It looks like I'll have to actually apply for this I've asked my m.p to clarify exactly what is to happen as every day there are reports of differing opinions as to what is the criteria as the one on OVO states if you are on any of the alternative fuels you get this payment automatically but this is not true huh as usual something actually quite easy is a nightmare to obtain 

I suspect you will have to apply in a few weeks once all the currently approved payments have been made.

I expect there will be no application form for a few weeks. 

Even this earlier form for the Energy Bill Support Scheme isn't live until 27th Feb. These users have been waiting since October when the Energy Bill Support Scheme started. 

https://www.gov.uk/apply-energy-bill-support-if-not-automatic

So i suspect you may have to wait till March at least looking at the progress of other forms? None of these have been quick from all the forms i have looked at.

Don't expect the payment any time soon. 

Userlevel 2

Thank you for your reply it was I expected to be honest I live in a rural area where most homes are not on mains gas so I would be interested in how they have actually worked bout who was automatically selected 

Userlevel 2

Still no email to confirm that we are eligible … but we have no mains gas to the village, our account is paid by DD, I’m on this forum and part of power-move project - so a little concerned that NONE of the emails dropping into my inbox confirm my eligibility for this payment.

Userlevel 2

Is there many people on this forum who have actually been contacted by OVO that they are to receive the payment of $200 today and tomorrow as I haven't 

I think you are the only poster we have seen who thinks they should get the £200 but didn't get an email. 

We don't tend to get many posters coming to the forum saying they are OK, so you may not get a response to your question. 

I guess just wait and see if you get the payment now, and if not wait for the government to launch the manual website process later in Feb. 

I have not had an email confirming our eligibility - we pay by DD - we have no mains gas 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Is there many people on this forum who have actually been contacted by OVO that they are to receive the payment of $200 today and tomorrow as I haven't 

I think you are the only poster we have seen who thinks they should get the £200 but didn't get an email. 

We don't tend to get many posters coming to the forum saying they are OK, so you may not get a response to your question. 

I guess just wait and see if you get the payment now, and if not wait for the government to launch the manual website process later in Feb. 

I have not had an email confirming our eligibility - we pay by DD - we have no mains gas 

3. What happens if you don't get it automatically (there will be a page on gov.uk, it isn't there yet, if you don't get the payment and you think you should) 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/alternative-fuel-payment

5. Can i check if i am on the list of eligible households the government has given to OVO if i haven't received an email? This was provided by an OVO staff member on this forum , so try calling the Support Team. 

"We intend on adding a memo to customer accounts to make it clear that they have been deemed as eligible by BEIS, so this will become clear to customer service agents"

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/my-account-140/how-will-the-governments-alternative-fuel-payment-be-made-11977/index2.html?postid=79058#post79058

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It will likely be sent soon, but if things don’t work out you’ll be able to apply manually in the next month or so

Userlevel 2

I soke to ovo support yesterday he said no email not eligible he didn't check to see if I was eligible or not referred me to the upcoming website to claim 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I soke to ovo support yesterday he said no email not eligible he didn't check to see if I was eligible or not referred me to the upcoming website to claim 

@Tim_OVO @Emmanuelle_OVO is some more training required for some of the Support Team? 

Not much point in us directing customers to the Support Team if they are not checking customer accounts or telling them about the future government form? 

​​​​​​

Userlevel 7

Hey @Jasmine 123,

They would be able to see if you were deemed eligible on your account and you would have received a communication from us.

It may be that the The Department of Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) haven’t deemed you eligible, they have advised there is going to be a process put in place by BEIS for customers who believe they are eligible but haven’t received payment. This will likely be a form on their website, I’ll update this thread when it becomes available. Payments for eligible customers are starting to go out this week.

Unfortunately OVO don’t play a part in the eligibility process, we are given a list of eligible supplies by the BEIS. Please check back on this thread for any updates. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks for that

Userlevel 2

I’m in the same boat as you Jasmine123 - no mains gas to the village, postcode included in the official Xoserve list of off-grid areas, home heated by oil, which has been the case for the 30 or so years I have lived here, accounts held with several local and national oil suppliers, customer of SSE for years, taken over by Ovo last year, smart meter installed, bills paid by DD … quite frankly all of the qualifying criteria met - so really not sure how we’ve been missed … hopefully the application process will be open by the end of the month as suggested and won’t turn into another long-drawn out process.

Like other son this forum I live in a village with no gas supply and pay my electricity bill by DD but have not yet received an email or the payment from OVO. When did OVO notify its cutovers who were eligible for the AFP?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Like other son this forum I live in a village with no gas supply and pay my electricity bill by DD but have not yet received an email or the payment from OVO. When did OVO notify its cutovers who were eligible for the AFP?

Looks like emails were received 8th Feb from customers who have posted. 

OVO where given a list by the government

If you didn't get an email you will need to apply directly on gov uk when they launch a website. It is not available yet.

I see at least some customers who got the email got the money in their bank account on Saturday. 

Rather frustratingly, OVO didn’t email me and couldn’t confirm whether or not they’d had me down for the AFP.  

Given that it’s now the 23rd, I have to assume that it’s not coming and will have to wait for the Government website to apply.  

However, as this is a village of around 60 houses, with no mains gas (most use use oil for heating), if I’ve not made it onto the list, then presumably all the other houses on the same postcode will be in a similar position.   We will do a mini survey soon, as this really should be tacked by postcode and not individuals in this case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Rather frustratingly, OVO didn’t email me and couldn’t confirm whether or not they’d had me down for the AFP.  

Given that it’s now the 23rd, I have to assume that it’s not coming and will have to wait for the Government website to apply.  

However, as this is a village of around 60 houses, with no mains gas (most use use oil for heating), if I’ve not made it onto the list, then presumably all the other houses on the same postcode will be in a similar position.   We will do a mini survey soon, as this really should be tacked by postcode and not individuals in this case.

Good idea @sharon591

Give the list to your local MP. 

They should be able to pass it on to the appropriate government department 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Just to wrap this up, the scheme is now active. Those who were deemed to be eligible should by now have received their Alternative Fuel Payment. Those who weren’t, but think they are, have to apply using this form: Apply for alternative fuel bill support if you do not get it automatically - GOV.UK

Userlevel 7
Badge

Six weeks and a couple of days after submitting an application on the Apply for alternative fuel bill support if you do not get it automatically page at gov.uk, £200 dropped into my bank account.

I was worried that my application had been rejected because I stocked up in August 2022, but the application form only asked for proof of purchases after 1 September 2022. So, for anyone in the same situation - don’t worry, the staff at the BEIS EBSS office are clearly human. I had an immediate response to my enquiry sent to alternativefunding@ebss.beis.gov.uk, so that’s where to send any concerns you may have. My local council denied all knowledge, saying that they just pass on whatever the government sends them. 

The £200 has already been spent on sustainably-sourced logs for my wood-burning stove.