Solved

How will the Governments Alternative Fuel Payment be made?

• 13 October 2022
  • 94 replies

Show first post

94 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

@JOC

Have you ever had main gas in your property? 

No, its only ever been connected to mains electric,  - but house is less than 3 years old.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@JOC

Have you ever had main gas in your property? 

No, its only ever been connected to mains electric,  - but house is less than 3 years old.

That is why then.

The government can see you are not on the mains gas network, but don't know what you are using. 

The system isn't fool proof. There are details of the process they have followed if you are really interested. They just simple don't know how you are heating, they just know you are not using mains gas as you have never been on mains gas. 

I am sure there  will be a few cases like this. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-alternative-fuel-payment-afp-scheme-in-great-britain-guidance-for-electricity-suppliers

Perhaps donate the money to charity?

https://www.fuelbankfoundation.org/

I donated my Energy Bill Support Scheme. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

That is why then.

The government can see you are not on the mains gas network, but don't know what you are using. 

The system isn't fool proof. There are details of the process they have followed if you are really interested. They just simple don't know how you are heating, they just know you are not using mains gas as you have never been on mains gas. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-alternative-fuel-payment-afp-scheme-in-great-britain-guidance-for-electricity-suppliers

Thanks for sharing that @Jeffus I’ll look at that or similar charity locally.

Totally get that this has to be done in some way, and its hard to be totally fool proof -  but when so many people need this money much more than me, I’d rather the appropriate agencies got it right at the outset.  

I know its easy to have a ‘they should have done this’ view when the situation is very complicated; but OVO the supplier know I have a heat pump and another govt agency is paying me a rebate for having that heat pump then GDPR notwithstanding that could have been linked up somehow.  As it stands we will be relying on peoples’ good consciences to do the right thing…….

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That is why then.

Thanks for sharing that @Jeffus I’ll look at that or similar charity locally.

Totally get that this has to be done in some way, and its hard to be totally fool proof -  but when so many people need this money much more than me, I’d rather the appropriate agencies got it right at the outset.  

I know its easy to have a ‘they should have done this’ view when the situation is very complicated; but OVO the supplier know I have a heat pump and another govt agency is paying me a rebate for having that heat pump then GDPR notwithstanding that could have been linked up somehow.  As it stands we will be relying on peoples’ good consciences to do the right thing…….

Yep i agree

I hope we never see anything like the Energy Bill Support Scheme and the Alternative Fuel Payment Scheme ever again. Waste of a limited pool of tax payer money. 

It needs to be much more targeted based on need if this is ever needed on this scale again.

Both schemes finish this financial year, so it should be better after 1st April. 

Userlevel 2

It's obvious that if you're not on mainns gas you're on something else it does state somewhere that if you're bon alternative fuel such as color gas you are entitled to it automatically it would certainly help if someone at ovo could tell me personally that I'm to get it otherwise I have to rattle someone's cage to get what I'm entitled to 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It's obvious that if you're not on mainns gas you're on something else it does state somewhere that if you're bon alternative fuel such as color gas you are entitled to it automatically it would certainly help if someone at ovo could tell me personally that I'm to get it otherwise I have to rattle someone's cage to get what I'm entitled to 

Hi @Jasmine 123 

Given that no one on this forum can access your account, your best bet is to contact the Support Team and ask if you are on the list from the government to get the payment

https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

If any of us spot a process for appealing to the government other than waiting for the government portal the government mention, then one of us will post on this thread I am sure. 

Userlevel 2

I've actually tried that all they say is to quote the gov website that's what I mean no one including me haven't a clue 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I've actually tried that all they say is to quote the gov website that's what I mean no one including me haven't a clue 

@Jasmine 123

Then there is literally nothing else OVO can do. They are not involved in any way with selecting who gets the payments. 

You could check if the government thinks you are in a post code without mains gas 

https://www.xoserve.com/media/fadn4tnc/off-gas-live-postcodes-2022.xlsx?term=Off-gas

One option is to ask your local MP what the process is for people like you, they will be able to contact an appropriate person in the new Department of Energy to see if you simply need to wait for the government portal later in February. 

A few people have used their MP to help sort a variety of issues over time.

Userlevel 2

For clarity I live in a barn conversion that has a metered supply of Calor gas supplied via a communal bulk tank we shouldn't be classified as being in a park home thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

For clarity I live in a barn conversion that has a metered supply of Calor gas supplied via a communal bulk tank we shouldn't be classified as being in a park home thanks

@Jasmine 123

So this is what MPs have been told if they are asked by someone in their Constituency. I have cut out a portion as there are variety of reasons. So it may be end Feb or early March for the portal if you are not on the original list as EBSS payments will be done first. 

"........ Customers may also not receive it automatically if they live in an area in which most properties are connected to the gas grid. This is due to the Government’s method for identifying eligible customers

These customers will be able to apply for the support via an online form on 
GOV.UK, using the same portal as for the EBSS Alternative Funding (see section 2.2). Applications for the AFP through the portal are expected to open “very shortly” after the portal opens for EBSS Alternative Funding applications on 27 February 2023."

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9685/

Userlevel 2

Morning all just had a conversation with a call handler those who are eligible for the alternative fuel payment will be notified on the 13 February fingers crossed 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Jasmine 123,

Just to update you, 

If a customer believes they should be eligible, but aren’t contacted by us. BEIS are setting up a form on their website that these customers can fill in to flag that they have been missed.

Their form isn’t live yet, I’ll update this topic when I get more information.

@Jeffus is correct, we have nothing to do with the eligibility process, this is a government payment and they select who is eligible. All we do is facilitate this payment.

However they are going to be creating this form, so there will be an opportunity to challenge it, if you are missed.

Hope this helps. 

I’ve had an email telling me I’m eligible as I use oil. My question is - when will the payment be made if my direct debit for this month already went out on the 1st February ? I’ve read payments will be made in February and will be sent to your bank 3-5 days after your direct debit clears. What happens for those customers whose direct debits went out before the 7th?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I heard (on BBC Farming Today from a few days ago) that the £200 payment is not going to be sent on to the customer’s own bank account, it’ll just go towards their electricity bill. ???

Userlevel 7
Badge

I heard (on BBC Farming Today from a few days ago) that the £200 payment is not going to be sent on to the customer’s own bank account, it’ll just go towards their electricity bill. ???

Ah, yes, that font of all wisdom, Farming Today (along with Blue Peter) 🙂. 

This is what the instructions to energy suppliers say:

6.3 The payment should be provided in one of the following ways, by: a. Reducing the amount collected from the customer by an amount equal to the AFP; or b. Applying a sum to the customer energy account of an amount equal to the amount of the AFP; or c. Refunding the customer an amount equal to the AFP or paying to the customer an amount equal to the AFP

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Haha - I get all my facts from Farming Today ! Do we know how OVO will handle the £200? Are we assuming they’ll choose ‘c’?

I think I did read it would be done in a similar way to the other energy rebate whereby keeps your direct debit the same amount but will be sent back to your bank. I just wondered what happens if you have already paid your direct debit for this month before the energy suppliers were given the list of customers who are eligible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

… it would be done in a similar way to the other energy rebate whereby keeps your direct debit the same amount but will be sent back to your bank. I just wondered what happens if you have already paid your direct debit for this month ...

This is a different sort of rebate from the EBSS, because it’s only some consumers who get it. OVO unilaterally imposed the provision that the EBSS rebate would only be refunded after the Direct Debit had cleared, I suppose to avoid some ‘bad debt’ - the rebate could be applied to a debit balance in cases where the DD didn’t go through. The AFP has no connection to the OVO account, so Refunding the customer an amount equal to the AFP isn’t affected at all by whether or when the DD clears. Transferring these funds to customers via their electricity account just happens to be the simplest way of doing it for all concerned (apart from the poor electricity supplier, of course, who has to jump through hoops to make it work).

The upshot? You’ll get it when they send it 😉.

This is quoted from the email relating to the AFP: 

If you pay by Direct Debit

You'll get your payment straight into your bank account as a refund. This means you'll carry on paying your full Direct Debit amount. We'll apply the payment to your energy account as a credit first, and then we'll automatically refund the payment to your bank account shortly after. If you cancel your Direct Debit, or your payment fails, there may be a delay in receiving your payment.

You'll be able to see your payment in your detailed bill, labelled 'Alternative Fuel Payment' and listed in the 'Summary of charges' section. The refund to your bank account will be displayed in the ‘Your balance' section.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thanks - I should have realized that. OVO only knows which bank account to direct a payment to by virtue of having a DD arrangement with it. If that DD fails, it could indicate that the account has been closed, so they’ll have to check before making the transfer. I’ve no idea how often DDs fail, but if it’s a regular occurrence, that check may be automated. So that’s where any payment delay might arise.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Lousomerville@Firedog and @juliamc,

Got an update for you,

All Alternative Fuel Payment Direct Debit refunds are due to be bulk triggered on 13-14th February for OVO and 14th-15th February for your old provider. They should then take about 3 working days to land in the respective bank accounts. 

As with Energy Bills Support Scheme if a customer has been informed they’ll receive the payment but they don’t receive it, they can contact Support and this will be raised to our back office team to investigate. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @Lousomerville@Firedog and @juliamc,

Got an update for you,

All Alternative Fuel Payment Direct Debit refunds are due to be bulk triggered on 13-14th February for OVO and 14th-15th February for your old provider. They should then take about 3 working days to land in the respective bank accounts. 

As with Energy Bills Support Scheme if a customer has been informed they’ll receive the payment but they don’t receive it, they can contact Support and this will be raised to our back office team to investigate. 

Hope this helps. 

@Emmanuelle_OVO

Could OVO update this page with the dates etc? 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/alternative-fuel-payment

Then we can direct customers to that page. 

Userlevel 2

Is there many people on this forum who have actually been contacted by OVO that they are to receive the payment of $200 today and tomorrow as I haven't 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Is there many people on this forum who have actually been contacted by OVO that they are to receive the payment of $200 today and tomorrow as I haven't 

I think you are the only poster we have seen who thinks they should get the £200 but didn't get an email. 

We don't tend to get many posters coming to the forum saying they are OK, so you may not get a response to your question. 

I guess just wait and see if you get the payment now, and if not wait for the government to launch the manual website process later in Feb. 

I had my email on Wednesday as I use oil and I know my in-laws have also had an email too…

I can only suggest as mentioned by others that maybe you could try to manually apply online