Solved

How will the Governments Alternative Fuel Payment be made?

• 13 October 2022
  • 94 replies

Show first post

94 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@jane.ashe

The government has published the eligibility criteria, how customers will be identified and how energy suppliers will be given a list of MPAN to identify and pay customers. 

It was published yesterday. 

The PDF can be downloaded from this page.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-alternative-fuel-payment-afp-scheme-in-great-britain-guidance-for-electricity-suppliers

Payments should start in Feb. 

You are not eligible for the payment if you heat primarily by electricity. I suspect a few will inevitably slip through. So unfortunately you are not eligible with a heat pump. 

OVO should be able to answer more queries on the scheme now. 

@Tim_OVO @Emmanuelle_OVO just flagging in case you haven't seen the document published yesterday. 

@Tim_OVO do you know if OVO have received the information yet as per the announcement to all suppliers above? 

"BEIS will in early February provide to each electricity supplier a subset of MPANs for which each supplier is responsible. Suppliers will receive MPANs for consumers with whom they have an existing relationship. Each MPAN will be provided to only one supplier."

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

OVO won't confirm that I'm going to receive this money asked customer service several times and all they do is speil the government website page 

It may simply be that BEIS (Department of Business Energy and Industrial Strategy) haven't yet given OVO a list of meter numbers that will be eligible. All it said was early February for the list. 

Do you think you will be on the list looking at the announcement?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/domestic-alternative-fuel-payment-afp-scheme-in-great-britain-guidance-for-electricity-suppliers

Userlevel 2

Yes I should be on the list I use calor gas for heating and cooking calor told me I should receive on the 6th Feb but customer service refuse to confirm 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes I should be on the list I use calor gas for heating and cooking calor told me I should receive on the 6th Feb but customer service refuse to confirm 

I don't think Calor are correct on the date. 

All the latest government announcement says is that payments should be made by the end of February and that suppliers will be told which meters are eligible in early Feb. 

There is no mention of 6th Feb for making payments

Userlevel 2

Hi thanks for that but calor has it on their website helps if everything is put in place before the government implemented stuff to avoid all the confusion don't you think cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi thanks for that but calor has it on their website helps if everything is put in place before the government implemented stuff to avoid all the confusion don't you think cheers

@Jasmine 123

Yep. I suggest you tell Calor they have incorrect information on their website based on the latest government announcement on gov.uk. You can always send them the link. 

It is not great they are confusing customers. 

The government put back the scheme by a month and by the look of things Calor have not updated their website when I just had a look. 

I would ignore what calor are saying going forward if i were you as they are not making the payments.

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like you. 

Userlevel 2

Ok thanks for taking the time cheers

Userlevel 2

Ok thanks for taking the time cheers

Hi I've just noticed that this money is to be a credit on your electric is OVO paying it back into you bank account

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi I've just noticed that this money is to be a credit on your electric is OVO paying it back into you bank account

If you pay by Direct Debit, that’s very likely, in just the same way as the EBSS payments (£67 per month).

The ‘£200 off grid payment’ is now way overdue & still unpaid. We had to pay for oil fuel way back in Oct 2022 to allow for winter. Suggest Government has to pay for the interest lost due to their implementation delays. Not Ovo’s inaction or problem - but the admin of this by Government is very poor & slow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @philb ,

I’ve heard it should be coming soon. Not ideal I have to admit but that’s government for you. :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

There was another government announcement yesterday on the 6th Feb. Payments started yesterday, but i am sure it will vary by supplier as the target was end Feb. 

From today households across Great Britain who don’t use mains gas for heating will start receiving £200 towards their energy bills as the Alternative Fuel Payment (AFP) scheme launches. Most will get the £200 AFP automatically as a credit on their electricity bill but some customers will need to apply for the support later this month.

Nearly 2 million households who use alternative energy sources such as heating oil, biomass and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) to warm their homes will receive the support which was doubled to £200 last year.

The vast majority, including many homes in rural areas, will get it automatically through their electricity supplier as a credit on their bill throughout February. A small minority of customers, such as those living in park homes or on static houseboats with no direct energy supplier, will need to apply to receive the payment through an online portal that will launch later this month.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/households-businesses-and-organisations-off-the-gas-grid-to-receive-energy-bill-support-over-the-coming-weeks

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jasmine 123

There was another government announcement yesterday on the 6th Feb. Payments started yesterday, but i am sure it will vary by supplier as the target was end Feb. 

From today households across Great Britain who don’t use mains gas for heating will start receiving £200 towards their energy bills as the Alternative Fuel Payment (AFP) scheme launches. Most will get the £200 AFP automatically as a credit on their electricity bill but some customers will need to apply for the support later this month.

Nearly 2 million households who use alternative energy sources such as heating oil, biomass and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) to warm their homes will receive the support which was doubled to £200 last year.

The vast majority, including many homes in rural areas, will get it automatically through their electricity supplier as a credit on their bill throughout February. A small minority of customers, such as those living in park homes or on static houseboats with no direct energy supplier, will need to apply to receive the payment through an online portal that will launch later this month.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/households-businesses-and-organisations-off-the-gas-grid-to-receive-energy-bill-support-over-the-coming-weeks

Userlevel 2

Thanks for that I did see that this morning obviously depends on ovo getting their act in order 

Userlevel 7

Hello @Jasmine 123 and @Jeffus,

I have an update on this:

We received the supply numbers (MPANs) of eligible customers from The Department of Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) late yesterday and will be issuing a communication to these customers as soon as possible to inform them that they will receive the Alternative Fuel Payments (AFP) support.

AFP support will be issued as per the Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS), so by either a payment to the customer's bank account, if paid by direct debit or as credit added to their energy account if they pay on demand. For PAYG customers credit will be added directly to the customer's smart prepayment meter; or a cash voucher issued if a traditional meter. We intend on adding a memo to customer accounts to make it clear that they have been deemed as eligible by BEIS, so this will become clear to customer service agents. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello @Jasmine 123 and @Jeffus,

I have an update on this:

We received the supply numbers (MPANs) of eligible customers from The Department of Business Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) late yesterday and will be issuing a communication to these customers as soon as possible to inform them that they will receive the Alternative Fuel Payments (AFP) support.

AFP support will be issued as per the Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS), so by either a payment to the customer's bank account, if paid by direct debit or as credit added to their energy account if they pay on demand. For PAYG customers credit will be added directly to the customer's smart prepayment meter; or a cash voucher issued if a traditional meter. We intend on adding a memo to customer accounts to make it clear that they have been deemed as eligible by BEIS, so this will become clear to customer service agents. 

That is great news @Emmanuelle_OVO 

Userlevel 2

Thanks everyone who have responded to my post much appreciated cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks everyone who have responded to my post much appreciated cheers

Hi @Jasmine 123 

Let us know when you get your payment so we can advise anyone else who posts. 

Userlevel 2

Yes I will and if anyone else received it post please 

I haven’t had the payment yet, but I have had OVO’s email telling me I will get it. We use wood as our main heating and I wasn’t sure we would get the payment.

Userlevel 2

Hi I haven't had an email has anyone else please 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just received an OVO email telling me I am getting this.

I find it a surprise as I have an air source heat pump and thought this payment was only for those who relied on oil or other fuels for heat that don’t benefit from the price cap? 

Userlevel 2

Can Emmanuel help to see why people are getting ban email I haven't and I use calor gas for heating thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I just received an OVO email telling me I am getting this.

I find it a surprise as I have an air source heat pump and thought this payment was only for those who relied on oil or other fuels for heat that don’t benefit from the price cap? 

@JOC 

Have you ever had main gas in your property? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Can Emmanuel help to see why people are getting ban email I haven't and I use calor gas for heating thanks 

@Jasmine 123 

It could of course be that OVO are sending the emails out in batches. 

Are any homes in your local area on mains gas? 

@Emmanuelle_OVO can you find out if there will be any government process for customers to follow if they are not on the list of properties that the government has given you?

I see the government are launching a portal later in Feb (e.g. for properties on the mains gas grid who heat using alternative fuels). This may be the process customers will have to use if they haven't automatically been picked up by the government.

It may be we simply have to wait for the portal to launch.