Tutorial

How does OVO Energy calculate my Direct Debit?

How does OVO Energy calculate my Direct Debit?

Show first post

89 replies

Hi OVO,

I think your algorithms have gone a bit ‘wonky’.  My bills are more or less  constant (no gas) with lighting the only main user and that is intermittent.   All of them have had the DD changed by 3x despite a call yesterday that agreed with my predicament.   Hopefully it will resolve before my next payment date or I’m not sure who to ask to resolve if the customer service teams are being overruled by AI! 

best wishes

Neil

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi OVO,

I think your algorithms have gone a bit ‘wonky’.  My bills are more or less  constant (no gas) with lighting the only main user and that is intermittent.   All of them have had the DD changed by 3x despite a call yesterday that agreed with my predicament.   Hopefully it will resolve before my next payment date or I’m not sure who to ask to resolve if the customer service teams are being overruled by AI! 

best wishes

Neil

Hi @NFGoudie , as this forum is mainly other customers, your message won’t necessarily be seen by OVO. Being a public forum no one has access to your account from here but hopefully your call will result in a resolution 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi OVO,

I think your algorithms have gone a bit ‘wonky’.  

Not OVO - just another user. You have to use the available channels to interact with the company.

The calculation is pretty straightforward*, and Ofgem has strict rules about how it’s to be carried out. The biggest factor is your Future Annual Consumption (FAC) figure which you can see on your Plan page. This must be based on available data wherever possible, so if yours is very different from your actual usage over the past twelve months, as evidenced by meter readings, you have a legitimate gripe.

Sadly, exports (I see you have a FIT) will interfere with this and I’m not at all certain that the calculator will treat them accurately.

I also see that you’ve recently had a windfall which may have reduced your credit balance - the other major factor. 

Do these calculations for yourself and have them ready when you go in to do battle with OVO. If it helps, in my experience, a DM on Twitter gives the best experience when dealing with OVO support.

EAC (Estimated Annual Cost) = (FAC x Unit Rate) + (366 x standing charge) + extras

DD = (EAC - credit balance)/12

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, has anyone else had their DD automatically increased? We currently pay £290/m and are over £250 in credit, however I went on the app this morning and they are saying if I don't increase my DD up to £300/m I will be in £53 debt by the end of my fixed rate term.... I understand this, however, every other energy firm I have ever used you sort of expect to go into a little debt through the winter then it rights itself through the summer again? I have tried to reduce the DD back down to my original amount as I feel this is more than sufficient but the app won't accept it.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Priceyred ,

I’m a forum volunteer.

I suspect that’s because you will be in debt at the end of the current contract and the system is designed to avoid that by getting you to either £0 or just above £0 at that point. If you make a manual payment now, it’ll recalculate things and may allow a reduced monthly amount.

If you still want to set it below the minimum amount, please call the Support Team on 0330 303 5063 and they can discuss it with you.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Priceyred,

I can see Blastoise has already given some helpful advice here.

Just wanted to add, the following topic may be useful to you:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Blastoise186.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not trying to reduce my monthly payments I just don't want to be putting them up anymore. My point is thelat with every other company I've ever used it's sort of expected that you would build up credit during the summer and maybe go into a bit of a negative during the winter, that's kind of how it works isn't it?

Userlevel 7
Badge

… it's sort of expected that you would build up credit during the summer and maybe go into a bit of a negative during the winter, that's kind of how it works isn't it?

That’s how it works on rolling tariffs - i.e. variable plans. Your fixed-price contract, however, is for a limited period, at the end of which your balance should be close to zero - but not negative. That’s why you’re being asked to up your DD. It’s your choice, really - allow the £10 increase in DD to go ahead and pay off the expected shortfall over the months between now and the end of the contract, or make a top-up payment of £55 now and leave the DD as it is. 

As we are about to go into winter my balance ought to be in a good place, which it is. Currently paying £290 per month will your calculator says I will be in credit by £232 in 12 months time, so how the heck can it even suggest I lower the direct debit to £5 as a minimum?  It just does not compute.

It’s telling me £9 a month and it has to be a bug in the app as if you go to your account in a browser it will give a reasonable figure.

They ought to get onto this as it doesn’t inspire confidence and some may try to drop their payments to the recommended amount.

Userlevel 7

Hey @kwilson919,

If you go onto your browser as suggested by JohnCarter does it show a more sensible amount?

No, sadly it doesn’t as that is not working at all!

I think I can partly explain what is going on.

The app says I should pay £9 instead of my usual £180

The website which I said was correct says £180 is correct to cover me over the next 12 months,

but right now I’m £171 in credit and  if I click on ‘change amount’ on the website It then says £9 is correct for me because my 12 month period ends this month and £9 will make me break even on that date.

Presumably after that it will tell me to raise it again.

So it’s not wrong exactly., but needs addressing as it is confusing.

Userlevel 7
Badge

… my 12 month period ends this month ...

Presumably after that it will tell me to raise it again.

This will be the case if you’re on a fixed-rate tariff. You’ll have to check both your Plan page and your Renewal page to see (a) when your contract ends, and (b) how much you can expect to have to pay per year from next month on. If this month’s Direct Debit is taken as usual, you’ll be quite comfortable with the prospect of a lower DD as prices fall from 1 October.