Solved

How do I change Direct Debit details?

• 30 August 2018
  • 46 replies

Show first post

46 replies

Please can anyone tell me how to update my bank info for my direct debit? Is it possible to do this on the app or do I need to call Ovo? Thanks in advance 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Heya @Ovoqueen .

Would you like the good news, or the good news? You can indeed make these changes via both methods. Here’s where you’ll want to look.

If you’re on the OVO Energy app, you can’t make the changes there, but you can go via MyOVO and make the changes there. Head into Payments and you’ll find the options you’re after. Alternatively, if you’d like to get help from the Support Team, you can find the details over here. I’m not sure you can do this one via live chat though, so I’d suggest giving the team a call.

Just as a heads up though, it takes a few days for changes to go through, so if you’re close to a payment date, the changes might only activate from the next cycle onwards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ahh ok. It looks like the self-service feature might not be working at the moment for this one. I’ll check with @Tim_OVO to see if there’s any gremlins in the system.

In the meantime, the Support Team should be able to update the details for you. Sorry for the trouble!

Thank you for your help. I'll give them a call 🙂

Userlevel 7

Thanks for posting, @Ovoqueen - great username as well! :princess:

Ahh ok. It looks like the self-service feature might not be working at the moment for this one. I’ll check with @Tim_OVO to see if there’s any gremlins in the system.

Is this option not showing on the browser version of your online account, @Ovoqueen, it should be here:

Please be advised certain features may look different

Please be advised certain features may look different

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Mornin @Tim_OVO !

I’ve just checked again and it’s definitely not there right now. I even “hacked through” any active A/B Testing via a sekrit bypass trick I know of, and that still didn’t have any effect.

So yeah, I think someone may have scored a bug...

Userlevel 7

Hi @Blastoise186 and @Ovoqueen 

This was my mistake, the screenshots used above are part of setting up a Direct Debit. 

Once a Direct Debit is in place, a phone call is needed to change the bank details used. 

I’ll be updating our forum content this week to make sure this is really clear, good spot both of you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks @Tim_OVO !

That saves me a job of writing up a bug report then. While I don’t normally use my temporary bypass/override and forcibly disable any active A/B Testing that’s going on, I do sometimes use it if I suspect it’s getting in the way of a bug. There didn’t seem to be one running right now anyway though. :wink:

I have recently altered my monthly Direct Debit on the OVO website, but cannot alter the amount with my Bank to reflect the change and the first payment of the new amount will be later on this month. So do I cancel my existing Direct Debit at my Bank or do I not need to take any action?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you’ve got a confirmed change via your account on the web, this will automatically feed through to your bank. 
No need to do anything else .. just wait for the new amount when it’s time and check

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @beaulieuboy OVO not your bank set the direct debit amount.

You don't have to tell   your bank anything.

It will be the same direct debit setup, just with a different amount. 

If you are very close to your direct debit date you may find the old amount is taken this month.  Or what happened in my case that i posted on the forum about, a direct debit payment was completely slipped and the new amount was taken in the subsequent month. 

Many thanks, Jeffus,  and BP, that’s set my mind at rest!

How can I change card details without calling? I need to let OVO know my card details as it was orginally set up in my ex husband’s name and bank card. Thanks in advance. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Laurajduda , I don’t think you can as it’s thought of as part of the contract of supply. Is the account in their name too as you might want to change that at the same time

It was in his name but now in only mine. 
I am just worried that in the 1st the money won’t come out and I will be in trouble. His name has only just (in the last week) been removed from the account. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It was in his name but now in only mine. 
I am just worried that in the 1st the money won’t come out and I will be in trouble. His name has only just (in the last week) been removed from the account. 

Ah, I see. I’m surprised that they didn’t do the payment change but at the same time. You can check at the point it is due and if not paid put a top-up payment in to keep it right or top-up before and then you have time to sort the account change

Hi just want to ask a question so iv had to cancel my direct debit just now as its due on 6th April I forgot to change it till the 12 will I have a problem reseting this direct debit up in 3days time ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Elly , yes 3 days is normally too soon a timescale to get that set and operating. Be careful though as a cancelled dd payment can have an effect on your account. It would be as well to let OVO know - the forum is mainly other customers

OK will I have problem reseting it up though iv never cancel it before it's only because I needed to change it to 12arpril 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

OK will I have problem reseting it up though iv never cancel it before it's only because I needed to change it to 12arpril 

You should be able to set it up again. Perhaps take a look here 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/setting-up-direct-debits

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can't set up a new direct debit. OVO have to do it so get in touch with them on Monday and they will help.