Solved

How can we change from our Night Storage Heater tariff now that we don't have them?

• 25 July 2023
  • 3 replies

I am asking this on behalf of a relative who is in her 70’s and partially sighted.

She replaced her night storage heaters over a year ago to Rointe kyros heaters.

She unfortunately did not speak to SSE /OVO about this change so has been on the Standard SuperDeal tarriff all winter and so has been paying 44.55p per KWh to use the heaters during the day.   Her bills have are not affordable.   I only found out about this when I called her on the phone the other week and she said she was feeling rather depressed, because she has just been asked to increase her monthly direct debit.  

Having looked at her bills, I suggested she should be on the simpler energy tariff at 30p per KWh.    As I am not the account holder I asked her to call customer services to help with this.

They said she could not move to this tariff.   After an hour on the phone, she was very confused by the whole situation.

My question is; can she move to the simpler energy tariff or does she need a new meter installed.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 25 July 2023, 17:09

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Fliss Smith ,

I’m a forum volunteer here, rather than an OVO staffer. However, this kind of question is right up my street.

I recommend replacing that meter so that you can unlock regular non-Superdeal tariffs. It will need to be a Smart Meter though. With her consent, you can handle that call on her behalf in case that helps.

Thank you.   That is very helpful.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Fliss Smith,

Blastoise has given some helpful advice here. I just wanted to add,  you've mentioned your relative having vulnerabilities, they may be eligible for the following:

Cost of living payment

Winter Fuel Payment 

Disability Cost of Living Payment

benefit entitlement checks

cold weather payment

Priority services register

Winter support package

Hope this helps.