Skip to main content
Solved

How can I sort the rest of £400 Energy Bills Support now it's closed?

• 1 August 2023
  • 7 replies

I received three government vouchers for the £400 Energy Support Scheme as follows:. loaded £75 on 29/12/200, £58 on 29/12/2022 and £67 on 14/01/2023.

I have called SSE/Ovo (I was transferred to Ovo, I didn’t ask for it) several times and they are  always giving me the run around.

Today, after they dropped the call on me four times, they finally inform me that they can’t do anything about it as the scheme had expired and that I should channel all my inquiries to a government department they have refused to name.

I need advice on how to proceed.

7 replies

Hi,

I recently moved over from SSE to OVO energy and have not received the EBSS payment for March. I’ve contacted the Ovo team and they indicated this was not received from the government which sounds completely wrong.

Has anyone else received a Similar issue and how did you get it resolved?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Mseedat , do you know what date you were switched from SSE?

I was switched over in January 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The scheme has closed over a month ago. The fact that the agents you spoke to cannot help you is to be expected. OVO doesn’t even have the money to give you anymore - it’s gone back to the government per the scheme rules.

If you want to chase it up, the department in question is BEIS.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Nkitikit

It won't be easy to follow up now as has already been mentioned. 

What date did you first raise the issue with OVO? 

What date did you first raise this with SSE? 

You could try putting in a formal complaint if you haven't already if you feel ovo/sse have been negligent due to your switch. 

OVO really should have mentioned that as well as suggesting contacting the government. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Then after 8 weeks or a deadlock letter you can ask the energy ombudsman to rule of you are not happy happy.

https://www.energyombudsman.org/

You should have got the following from SSE then OVO depending on your switch date. 

• £66 in October and November
  • £67 in December, January, February and March

The exact date may have been a bit earlier or later. £58 doesn't sound like one of the payments. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Just to add to Jeffus’ quiz, it was your supplier on the first of the month who was responsible for paying that month’s grant. You should be able to see from your bills when your contract with SSE ended and when the one with OVO started. If OVO was your supplier on 1 February 2023, then OVO should have paid your EBSS grant for February and March. 

£75 + £58 = £66 + £67. That looks like a convoluted way of paying the grants for November and December (£75 being the maximum that could have been loaded at once?). Then followed £67 for January. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Mseedat 

The scheme has closed over a month ago. The fact that the agents you spoke to cannot help you is to be expected. OVO doesn’t even have the money to give you anymore even if it had been originally received - it’s gone back to the government per the scheme rules.

If you want to chase it up, the department in question is BEIS.