Solved

How can I cancel my Direct Debit? - I'd like to pay on receipt of my bill instead.

Show first post

69 replies

Hi,can I pay for what we use monthly instead of a fixed amount each month?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes you can. Pay the full amount on receipt of your bill each month. You would be charged at a higher rate on that basis which works out on average at about £200 more per year than paying by direct debit 

Userlevel 1

Has anyone else cancelled their Direct Debit?

I’m currently paying by Direct Debit but have a £400+ credit balance (will be £600+ when the next payment goes out on the 1st Nov) but OVO are only willing to reduce my monthly payment by 5%. According to my account online they’re also looking to increase my DD for the 2nd time in as many months.

How much extra would I pay if I was to cancel my Direct Debit and pay on receipt of bill and how would this charge be reflected? Would the unit rates increase or would a “non Direct Debit” surcharge be added?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Sunelectric Worth waiting till Tuesday and see what this says

Userlevel 1

@Sunelectric Worth waiting till Tuesday and see what this says

Thanks but this link says I have to be logged in to display the page (despite the fact that I am logged in).

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s because that particular thread is restricted access, sorry about that!

You’ll be able to use https://switch.ovoenergy.com from roughly midday tomorrow. That’s basically what the thread in question says in a nutshell.

Userlevel 1

Thank you. What is the essence of this thread please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s restricted to forum volunteers at the moment. I’d need approval from a moderator to reveal anything else from it.

It also looks like that thread was intentionally placed in a restricted area as well.

Userlevel 1

Has the information you are referring to been released yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not yet. It looks like the system hasn’t been turned back on. I’ll ask for an update.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Sunelectric,

Sorry for the issues you’re having.

If you contact Support they’ll be able to refund you a credit leaving one months direct debit in your OVO account (as you pay monthly in advance).

They’ll also be able to give you the rates and monthly costs you’d pay if you paid on demand, as opposed to direct debit. It varies regionally and depends on how much you use but would be more expensive. 

If you contact our Collections Team you can ask for your direct debit to be put on a three month suspension, meaning OVO won’t increase or review your direct debit for that period.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The Quote & Switch tool has been activated again. Try it at https://switch.ovoenergy.com/

You might initially get it saying that the service is down, but that should vanish after a few seconds.

Userlevel 1

Hello, just after some advice - I currently pay by direct debit, I’m in £449 credit ( submitted meter readings last day of oct) went to request a refund and am being told can only have max £71 …. Of my own money back!?!  I am not happy about this at all my oct bill was less than £70 and my direct debit is £145… I don’t want to keep accruing credit and only be able to get very little back. I tried to call but was waiting for ages and gave up. My question is can I just cancel my direct debit with my bank and then just pay by card via the app when my bill is calculated? Or do I have to speak to someone at OVO first ? And how do I get a refund of my credit? Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello, just after some advice - I currently pay by direct debit, I’m in £449 credit ( submitted meter readings last day of oct) went to request a refund and am being told can only have max £71 …. Of my own money back!?!  I am not happy about this at all my oct bill was less than £70 and my direct debit is £145… I don’t want to keep accruing credit and only be able to get very little back. I tried to call but was waiting for ages and gave up. My question is can I just cancel my direct debit with my bank and then just pay by card via the app when my bill is calculated? Or do I have to speak to someone at OVO first ? And how do I get a refund of my credit? Thank you

https://help.ovoenergy.com/article/faaf4823-9ed1-452f-8e8c-ed1c1099b51d-web

Userlevel 1

Thanks - I trawled the app for info and didn’t see this bit. So I can - brilliant 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks - I trawled the app for info and didn’t see this bit. So I can - brilliant 👍

I see you already know it will cost you more in Standing charge and unit rates.

Have you checked the rates for your area? 

You can go back onto direct debit later if you change your mind 

Userlevel 1

Don’t really know where to find unit rate changes for non DD accounts ( which I actually think is a complete rip off and completely unfair!!) so if you have a link that would be great - I live in the West Midlands thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Don’t really know where to find unit rate changes for non DD accounts ( which I actually think is a complete rip off and completely unfair!!) so if you have a link that would be great - I live in the West Midlands thanks 

They are not published online. You would need to contact the OVO Support Team. I suggest you do this first so there are no surprises in potentially high rates.

Just be very careful as you will end up paying more. You need to be really sure that is what you want.

Alternatively give Collections a call. Have a chat with them about a payment plan that might work for you

0800 0699 831

Userlevel 7

Hey @Sunshine42,

I can see @Jeffus has already given some great advice here.

Just wanted to add, if you contact Support you can request a refund of all of your credit bar one months direct debit amount. Our Collections Team can also put you on a direct debit review suspension meaning we won’t increase or review your direct debit for the next 3 months. 

It’s absolutely your decision if you’d prefer to pay your bills on demand, but it is more expensive as pointed out by @Jeffus. This similar thread has some helpful advice:

Hope this helps.