Solved

Home flooded. Does OVO offer support in these scenarios?

• 21 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi,

My home flooded last week and I'm awaiting insurers decisions. Obviously, trying to heat up and dry out the area that's sodden is going to gobble up energy. Once dehumidifiers and industrial cleaning gets underway, it's going to get horrendous. I want to alert OVO as I'm already dropping £10 a day just heating the worst area on higher radiator setting. Who is best to contact? Is there anything they have in place for unprecedented and unforeseen energy surges usage and charges and would the insurers cover anything to also help?

I'm a 70 year old, living with M.E. God knows what the stress of all this is going to do to that!!!!!

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 21 November 2022, 14:44

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Wow, that sounds a lot to deal with - hope you have some support. The main thing I found was here 

But this forum is mainly other customers so you really need to get in touch directly

Userlevel 7

Updated on 20/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Hey @Technophobe,

Really sorry to hear about the flood in your home. 

Unfortunately, in this scenario your insurance would be liable to pay out. It’s not the responsibility of the suppliers if more energy is used in the home, even in situations like this. Our Collections Team can put the account on hold until the insurance company pay out. 

If they don’t pay out, we do have support available for customers who are struggling with payments.

Also, you mentioned you’re a pensioner, you should be entitled to get the Warm Home Discount

Have you heard of the Priority Services Register? We also have the OVO Customer Support Package.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 2

Thank you both.

Yes, I'm on the register and get the winter fuel allowance. I'm not entitled to anything related to benefits. I'll be sure to add to the insurance claim. I wish I had noted meter readings at the start of all this, but headspace not great. OVO has agreed to freeze my payments for three months which is great, but it took going to Collections to do so. Chat not helpful (worth noting, readers!).

So, I think/hope I've everything covered now and just need to hope the insurance claim goes smoothly.

Many thanks again!