Solved

Historic bills keep changing and random huge Balance Adjustment has appeared with no explanation

• 21 September 2023
  • 116 replies

Show first post

116 replies

Userlevel 2

Maureen and others. I advise copy all bills before they alter them. I screen shot them all and print them off. It's simple arithmetic and no bill requires to be paid unless it is correct 

Threat of court action for an incorrect bill is a bluff and probably illegal

Userlevel 2

That’ll be because I believe in accidental mistake before conspiracy - everything can be explained and fixed. Speculation rarely fixes anything.

It comes across as  incompetence rather than a mistake. If I can work out a bill with simple arithmetic a multi billion pound company should be able to do it. Unbelievable with their massive windfall they cannot employ people to do this and to man their phones and chat.

Userlevel 2

That’ll be because I believe in accidental mistake before conspiracy - everything can be explained and fixed. Speculation rarely fixes anything.

It comes across as  incompetence rather than a mistake. If I can work out a bill with simple arithmetic a multi billion pound company should be able to do it. Unbelievable with their massive windfall they cannot employ people to do this and to man their phones and chat.

This is what they’ve done to my account now!  All they had to do was give a final read when the faulty meter was removed and start the next read with that of the replacement meter, but they made a huge hash of it.

I’m getting so bamboozled trying to keep up with the changes they keep making, my head is spinning with it all.

Why on earth do they need to change my account t to look like this rather than make a simple correction is beyond me.

You don’t have to believe in any overarching conspiracy to think that Ovo have shocking customer service, an opaque migration charging system and no means of challenging migration charges.  This is not due to a single ‘conspiracy’, but it is the result of a series of corporate decisions by Ovo.

Even accounting for the bias of unhappy people commenting, there are definitely large numbers of people who have been presented with unexplained charges from Ovo following migration from SSE.  This is backed up by articles in the national press, and an investigation opened by Ofgem: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/ofgem-opens-compliance-engagement-respect-ovos-complaints-handling-process

Userlevel 2

No-one here can access your account. This forum runs independently from everything else.

Additionally, you won’t get a response from OVO today anyway. Christmas Eve really is the worst possible time to be bringing this stuff up - 98% of the world is shut down for most of this week.

You’ll have to wait until mid-January I’m afraid.

If it’s urgent, try https://ovoenergy.com/feedback .

....and Christmas time is the worst time to get threatening emails and letters for money you don't even owe. I hate to think how some vulnerable people are managing to deal with this...not good. Time ovo got their act together!

Merry Christmas to all on here and my you OVO Happy New Year!

Userlevel 7

Hey @ianstewart1309,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

Unfortunately, we don’t have access to your account here on the Forum. 

Typically, ‘balance adjustments’ are due to a bad transfer read when a customer moves from their old provider or not taking any final payment into account. If there is a discrepancy over the final reading, and opening reading used. This will go through a read dispute process and the readings will be amended. This then means that the final bill from the old provider will be adjusted and the balance transferred across will change, hence the ‘balance adjustment’. 

You may need to look at challenging the transfer readings unless you know these were not affected. 

If this is not the case, and you have raised a complaint but are not happy with the resolution provided you can escalate your complaint. Find out more about the full procedure on the website here

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 2

Hi @emmanuelle. 

The balance adjustments are total random. My previous month's bill in august was £85.27 but was high because the meter reading estimates were higher than the elec I used.

Here are the 2 bills one month after the other the SSE was slightly high but next month OVO went total mental with 2 random adjustments the exact same  for £645.58, crazy stuff which no one can explain

I haven't paid a penny since then and my bill now stands at £810, again total guesswork. The actual bill should be around £200  like I said it's simple arithmetic but still no one at ovo can work it out 5 months later.

It's mind-boggling!

Userlevel 2

Currently my correspondence with ovo is like Jekyll and Hyde. On the one hand I am getting threatening letters and emails  about court action and  breaking into my house to fit pay as you go meters.

On the other hand the guy dealing with my complaint is apologising for sounding like a broken record and for getting nowhere with the complaint.

Both these things are happening at the same time.

It's flat earth stuff!

Userlevel 7

Hey @ianstewart1309,

I’ll ask Forum_Support to reach out, please keep an eye on your private messages. 

Userlevel 2

Hey @ianstewart1309,

I’ll ask Forum_Support to reach out, please keep an eye on your private messages. 

Thanks Emmanuelle, 

I appreciate it is not individual employees at OVO at fault, just corporate greed which has created this situation which is affecting many people. I hate to think how some vulnerable people are dealing with it.

I left a note with forum support so we shall see how that goes. Forgot to mention I got a £10 late payment charge added to my outrageous bill. I was informed of this in my latest nasty letter.

I actually burst out laughing when I opened it.

Cheers Ian

After a fair bit of back and forth including an ombudsman review I’ve decided to just eat the balance adjustment and get the hell out.  Switched to British Gas as I have no faith Ovo whatsoever, and no guarantee what else might get added to a bill when I least expect it.

Admittedly the charge is not as much as yours, still 4 figures in my case but £5000+ sounds absolutely crazy. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

What did the Ombudsman say @danshoebridge ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

This is what they’ve done to my account now!  All they had to do was give a final read when the faulty meter was removed and start the next read with that of the replacement meter, but they made a huge hash of it.

I’m getting so bamboozled trying to keep up with the changes they keep making, my head is spinning with it all.

Why on earth do they need to change my account t to look like this rather than make a simple correction is beyond me.

Have you made any progress @Maureen D ?

Userlevel 2

I've had some remarkable progress. Got a new bill. If you remember is started off at £1400 went down to £1200 and ended up recently at £800. None of these were paid because they were way off the mark. Now had a new bill  here it is

I'm hoping ovo have got their act together but they still don't fill me with confidence as my online account is now showing I owe a different amount, maybe just a mistype and the £165.18 is the correct amount???

I hope this is an end to the massive random adjustments. I have had no explanation for the new bill but it seems someone has got out a pen and bit of paper and made a simple calculation.

Hopefully get a reply about my complaint shortly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Difficult to comment as we can't see whether the bills are based on estimated readings, we can't see the period the second screen shot relates to etc.

I assume you only have electricity. How many kWh did that 79.91 include in the first screen shot over 4 months between 3 Aug and 3 Dec? A bit unusual the bill is over 4 months 

I haven’t read all your posts. Do you have a smart meter?

Userlevel 2

@Jeffers. No smart meter and just electricity. I have been away from the house mostly so very little electricity has been used. The first amount for £85 was my last from SSE and an estimate which was a bit high. The £165.18 is based on my readings with the last few weeks based on estimates. I have given readings whenever asked and will probably change to smart meter once this is sorted and probably a change of supplier. These 2 screenshot are from just a few days ago. Until then the bills were all over the place despite ovo having the correct meter readings. The bill is very long and over 4 months because I have refused to pay it since then but now it looks pretty close to what it should be.

It would be good to get a proper explanation for the ridiculous bills despite having meter readings supplied whenever requested, and also an official apology for the grief caused. As I said I have  complaint running and maybe these will be forthcoming.

Userlevel 2

Apologies @Jeffus

Have you made any progress @Maureen D ?

Someone in their wisdom decided to ban me, no doubt as I wasn’t the most pleasant towards Ovo due to 5 months of stress, but it’s finally sorted out this morning and I am back in credit.

Same person will no doubt ban me again but thanks for your concern and I am just so glad it seems to be sorted out, and hoping it remains so, and no further adjustments made to my existing accounts now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s worth mentioning that bans apply to the user, not just the account. Ban evasion will just get you banned again.

If you wish to appeal, please email forum@ovoenergy.com .

It’s worth mentioning that bans apply to the user, not just the account. Ban evasion will just get you banned again.

If you wish to appeal, please email forum@ovoenergy.com .

I only made an account as it appeared someone sent me a PM, but I can’t find it anyway, plus I wanted to reply to Jeffus as he/she was kind enough to enquire how I was getting on. Hopefully, I will have no need to complain further anyway if my account is finally sorted out.

If I was a bit shirty previously, it was down to 5 months of constant stress with the state my account was in.

Userlevel 7

Glad this is now sorted! I’ve sent you a private message regarding this new sign up. 

I recently had Ovo trouble. Was migrated from SSE in Feb 2023 which didn't go smoothly. Took months to sort.

Just before Christmas I had an email from Ovo explaining I'd been migrated from er Ovo to Ovo complete with welcoming letter and a £300 plus (account adjustment) charge to accompany it...at Christmas! I was fuming. I stopped my direct debit to keep control on things. Had to get really difficult to get it sorted. It has now been sorted but trust has been shattered. 

First the Post Office scandel and now Ovo. These organisations work for us, the customer,  but to often it feels like the other way round.

IT problems seem to be the issue in both cases. These companies MUST  get it sorted asap.

Userlevel 7

Hey @M1les,

Sorry for any confusion or stress this has caused,

A ‘balance adjustment’ is typically because the meter readings used to close you old account will have been altered due to a ‘meter reading dispute’. The Support Team should be able to explain why you had a ‘balance adjustment’ in more detail. 

If it’s incorrect, they’ll be able to raise an investigation into the adjustment. 

They’ll also be able to send you the adjusted statements. 

Hope this advice helps. 

OVO messed my bill now I am minus 800 pounds. Now my bill just goes up every month just want to get away. However I can't as they offered me a deal for 12 months at a great price then this happens. 

Userlevel 6

Hi @Marctbates 

Sorry to hear about this.

Do you know if the meter readings are all correct, or are there any that are estimated and stand out from the rest? It could be that a meter reading has caused an error, or if we’ve not had a meter reading for some time it may have been that it’s updated.

This topic below may be of use to you:

If you do think there’s an issue with the meter readings you can contact the Support Team to discuss this and they can investigate the matter.