Skip to main content
Solved

Has your OVO boiler service tech ever repressurised the expansion vessel ?

• 22 May 2024
  • 2 replies

I ask this because in my experience they never do. In fact they’re usually out the door in less than 20 minutes. Enough time to do a basic function and safety check. That’s it.

Before I took out the cover I did it myself, and it will need doing again. Most boiler manufactures advise expansion vessels to be re-pressurised at least once a year. 

I previously made the mistake of allowing techs to fob me off about a small weep from my drain valve. I knew this was wrong but it kind of encouraged me to stupidly keep topping up the pressure every couple of months. Eventually the weep became a heavy leak and my entire manifold had to be replaced. 

The cover is great and gives me peace of mind, but the lack of proper maintenance is a bit of a disappointment.

2 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi @Fivebluestars,

I’ve checked this with the team for you and they’ve replied.  If the boiler is a combi boiler the engineer can repressurise it, as this only takes a few minutes to isolate and drain the boiler to recharge. If the boiler can't be isolated and the engineer needs to drain the full system then they would need a separate job raised to do this.

Hope this helps.

Hi @Fivebluestars,

I’ve checked this with the team for you and they’ve replied.  If the boiler is a combi boiler the engineer can repressurise it, as this only takes a few minutes to isolate and drain the boiler to recharge. If the boiler can't be isolated and the engineer needs to drain the full system then they would need a separate job raised to do this.

Hope this helps.

Hi Shads, thanks for looking into this for me.

I have a sealed System boiler, not a combi, but it can easily be isolated at the boiler to drain just the expansion vessel. I did it myself in the past. Just a wee bit tricky accessing the Schrader valve and draining the water with how it’s plumbed in.

I’ll keep a close eye on the system pressure increase when hot and see where we are at the next service. I can mention it to the tech and see what they say. Assuming it becomes a problem between servicing I’ll just call up and have it done under the boiler cover. 

Thanks.