Tutorial

Getting to grips with the Direct Debit Calculator on your online account or OVO app

Getting to grips with the Direct Debit Calculator on your online account or OVO app

Show first post

28 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have had a Solar PV and home battery system installed and my electricity consumption over the past 28 days since installation has dropped 93%. This was noted on my portal page suggesting I was on track to be over £1,100 in credit at the end of the billing year. This sum is way too high because it is based on a short period of analysis, but does reflect the reduction in my usage.

Now I know that I will not get such big reductions in the Autumn and Winter months and I still have to charge my EV, but even allowing for the benefits in the months of April to August I am overpaying.

No, says Ovo, because when I try to adjust my Direct Debit online I am told I can only INCREASE my payment!

Is this a glitch, or do you really predict an overspend but not allow customers to reduce their payment? What is OFGEM policy on energy suppliers overcharging customers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO has suspended all increases to Direct Debit payments and reviews for now. There’ll be an announcement soon so I’d wait for that before doing anything else.

You can’t lower it yourself below the recommended level as a safety measure. If you really need to do that, the Support Team can assist.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Fine, but why didn’t Ovo simply put a message on the website as they must have modified the web page’s coding to disable the facility? Rhetorical question that so no need to answer!